1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon is not a good trade asset

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Feb 6, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This is just my opinion, but I think I can justify it if y'all let me explain for a second .

Most of our "big" trade ideas all involve Gordon and picks being our main asset .

I contend that Gordon is a pretty crappy trade asset .... for these reasons .

1) He doesn't have any upside left . This is an oft - injured player on the wrong side of 30 . There is no way he suddenly has a renaissance .

2) he's having his worst offensive season in the last couple of years . Despite playing better as of late (maybe ) , Gordon has looked BAD on offense this year . Jacking up his usual 35 footers and not hitting them as well as he has in years past

3) he's either injured or he is pretending to be injured .

4) He has shown that he will not be a "good solider" if the situation isn't to his liking . Who really knows what Eric wants ... but if he doesn't like the situation he is traded into you are getting 40-50 games of a pretty inefficient player .

So , what is Eric Gordon ? What is his value ? For sure , it depends on the situation . But , at this point , he's probably not a starting caliber player on a good-great team . His best fit is in a role like he has with us , bench firepower .

I would hope that our best trading asset isn't a 30 year old , off- injured , in the middle of a down season , disgruntled 6th man .

Perhaps the biggest upside to EG is that he's an expiring next year .

Look I like Eric , and he can play great at times . But , I don't think he has a lot of value to most other teams in the league

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Pretty valid post, but I think you might be off with reason #4.

Eric isn't the most friendly seeming guy, and he can come off as surly or aloof, but I've never seen evidence that he goes against the good of the team for his own benefit. His recent in-and-out injury status is probably due to him not taking enough time off to rehab that knee after the original injury, and that's the very definition of team player.

3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

just LOL @ what James is surrounded by.

Bunch of players who can’t consistently make shots, stay healthy, and have no trade value other than expiring.

4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When it matters, EG brings it on both ends. Outplayed Klay last year...

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fair enough.

I think mostly it's his 31 years, his injuries, and his streaky shooting.

Will he be having fun?

7. HP3

HP3 Member

Sheesh man, I disagree.And he could def start at the two for some teams.

jcmoon and Sledge187 like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

BREAKING NEWS:

9. HP3

HP3 Member

He’s still a good asset, I think this is way out of pocket. Only thing I would agree on is the injury concern.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think your points are fair, but i think for the right team he can still be pretty valuable (lol i forgot this, let's say as valuable as a lottery protected 1st), there aren't a lot of SG with enough size and skill to be a factor on both ends of the floor out there, the contract is still pretty good. But i guess this is the last chance to cash in on him if we don't think he's staying going forward, maybe this summer too, especially in a opt in trade for Butler if he bolts Philly and wants to be here.

#10 Vivi, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    HP3 likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Signature kills me EVERY time

topfive and J Sizzle like this.
  12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'd say he's a starter for some teams and solid 6th man. He's on a good contract too so I'd still put his worth around a late first. Most teams know he's playing behind Harden and could increase his usage if called upon. Injuries are a concern though, but again his contract reflects that.

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Gotta pay my respects to one of the greatest posts in the history of Clutchfans. A true marvel.

RichieBanks and topfive like this.
  14. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Y’all really undervaluing Gordon

jcmoon and HP3 like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

His numbers have gone down over 3+ seasons now. The only correlation I see is that his shooting volume as also increased over the same time span. Unfortunately, Gordon's efficiency is not on Superhuman levels like Harden. Maybe it would serve him better to be on another team that only need 20-25 minutes from him at a lower shooting volume.

16. justtxyank

"right team" is the part that hurts his value the most.

He's older and injury prone with limited upside at this point so a young team has no interest

He's only valuable to a contender (or wannabe contender) but then they aren't giving up a piece we would need to contend.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. justtxyank

He ain't no Otto Porter!

steddinotayto likes this.
  18. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

EG is having a down season. What I'm noticing from him is not just him missing open 3s, but his sloppy ball handling and frustration when not getting calls. His handles have always been a bit sloppy, but usually he's paired it with good explosiveness which has made him a very tough cover. Now hes dribbling the ball off his foot more and just losing it while driving. Also feels like every time he doesnt get a call he yells and shouts at the ref instead of getting back on D.

19. justtxyank

The ref stuff is no different with him than it has been for years, it just makes you more annoyed as a fan when he isn't playing well. He is one of the most notorious whiners in the league. Complains about EVERY call/non-call.

Eric Gordon complains about officiating more than #nbatwitter THINKS @The Cat does!

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

You aren't alone in keeping the flame alive, my friend.
    |
    |
    V

alethios and J Sizzle like this.