1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon being a point guard for us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RonnieTheMan, Nov 11, 2016.

1. RonnieTheMan

RonnieTheMan Member

Do you all think that Eric Gordon can become a permanent point guard for our team ? He plays very well and is a valuable asset to our team .
    Speaking of which , When Beverley returns , Mike D'Antoni can distribute the minutes between him and Eric .
    High paced offense is good when it is in a perfect rhythm .
    Talking of high paced offense , we got guys who can shoot , Ryan Anderson and Sam Dekker can shoot the three ball , then Harden also can shoot threes . I like the concept .
    Gordon's passing needs a touch too , but he's a guard , he can manage these things I guess .

2. onreego

onreego Member

His playmaking ability is a bit suspect from what I've seen so far.

3. RonnieTheMan

RonnieTheMan Member

That's a thing to notice , needs to work on his passes .

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is a shooting guard, and he acts like one. Beverley still makes the most sense as the guard who occupies the PG spot on our team.

Pen15clubber and Drogba like this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He can score and handle the ball but has never been a big assist guy

6. RonnieTheMan

RonnieTheMan Member

Then if we sign a point guard , we must sign a better one than Beverley ; to be honest , I don't prefer him much , no offense !

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He should be given the green light to shoot and just shoot. Anywhere, any time.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Not a point guard.

But if he comes off that bench, he needs to have 10 shots in before Harden gets back on the court. His defense is pretty good in my opinion. I like how he uses his body when he drives in. Stocky guy, he can hold down bigger guards.

HakeemOnlyFan and RonnieTheMan like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

EG is not a pg and should not be tried to be made into one bc it won't work

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Honestly, the bench needs to be simple PnR's with Gordon taking the first good look he has. Cut out the turnovers, just get a decent player (Gordon) taking decent shots and focus on not turning the ball over and getting back on defense. Should be able to maintain a lead until Harden is back on the court. If we get Dmo back, he would be a good offensive focal point off the bench as well.

HakeemOnlyFan and Rockets12 like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wait, so this is a "Move Harden back to SG" thread? Or are we discussing who plays PG for the 10 minutes when Harden sits?

Bev will do that. Gordon will play the 2, and will run a lot more 21-Series (Pistol) action ending with Gordon dribbling in the middle and Pev at the Corner 3....adding yet another 40% 3 shooter that Ennis is not. And yeah, DMo will help for that 10 minutes too. It actually needs to be 12/14 minutes, so Harden doesn't get tired at the end, like he has.

Oh, and a star at the wing/3 or Center/PF is what we really need. I'm just talking about out current roster here.

12. hakeemthagreat

Gordon is not a pg, and I don't want him being a pg either. Gordon needs to come off the bench and throw up as many shots as possible. His job should be to come in and be aggressive. He can literally average 18+ in our system. I just wish we had a better option than Ennis distributing as backup tho

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  13. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

We don't need more offense.

Defense !!

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, he needs to stay at the 2....in his role. Besides the reasons stated above, it would increase Eric's risk of injury exponentially.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Gordon is a playmaker in the sense that he can create his own shot, but he is actually pretty bad setting up teammates, maintaining the tempo and running an offense.

If you watch, when he's the primary ball handler, you can tell the game does not move slow for him. He looks rushed, uncomfortable and out of control. As a score-first player, he has no sense for when to shoot vs when to pass when he's tasked with that responsibility.

I'd run the offense through Nene when Harden sits and move the ball a ton. Nobody on this roster (Bev included) is going to be able to create off penetration, draw double teams or even get the defense to shift/cheat.

heypartner likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We definitely need Bev back, and I would kill to have a post up option for our second unit.

Rodman23 likes this.
  17. thiefery

thiefery Member

I'm excited for Bev's return since he makes pretty good decisions and is a decent shooter unlike Ennis. Also Bev has a nice spin move that goes with a floater when he drives into the paint. He will benefit Gordon much more when they both are on the same floor together.

That being said, I still like Brewer with James starting in the backcourt. Brewer just needs to keep practicing those corner threes since James will give him the open shots there. He's been playing good enough defense and still attacks the basket pretty efficiently.

Once Bev returns give him Ennis minutes until he's ready for a full workload. This should definitely help our second unit

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

have you ever seen him handle the ball or run the offense? Have you heard of a guy names Tyler Ennis?

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm confused as to the point of this thread?? Are you asking if Gordon can play PG while Harden sits? Or if he can be our starting PG? If it's the first question, then my answer would be to watch Gordon play. He's a shooting guard through and through. Nothing about his game exudes the ability to run point guard for any amount of time in an NBA game. Why put someone in a position where they clearly would not succeed? He's a professional scorer, and that's where his value is at its highest on our team. I'm hoping and praying that Beverley comes back, and gives us some direction while Harden is sitting. That second unit is brutal, and it starts with Ennis.

And if it's the second question, then I'm going to respectfully bow out of the conversation so I don't say something offensive.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think Ronnie is either trolling or doesn't pay as much attention as he thinks he does.

We have the league leader in assists playing point and he's looking for a resolution for that? Strange indeed.