1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Bledsoe isn't a starting caliber PG.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by charles_zed, Feb 3, 2013.

1. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Lmfao. A lot of those players were never even top 5 players at any point in their career. Mark Jackson? :eek:. He wasn't even an elite PG. Penny? He had 2 elite years and then got destroyed by injuries. Tim Hardaway? Very good PG but never a top 5 player despite his one All NBA first team. Kevin Johnson-Jordan. Stockton-Jordan. Nash- could have won WCF if Stat and Diaw weren't suspended. Mind you this was with a grossly overrated coach that didn't preach defense.

Yea your argument is pretty weak. Only three of the players you mentioned were ever top 5 players at any point of their career. Out of those three two were constantly **** blocked by Jordan. Nash may have won a chip if Stat and Diaw were not suspended and/or if D'Antoni actually preached some defense.

Magic and Isiah won several championships. Billups and TP won championships as the best players(TP was more like 1B to Duncan but w/e). There is nothing to suggest that PGs are inherently less valuable. You have no actual concrete facts or arguments. Its just fluff.

2. SK34

SK34 Member

those are insane stats.. But since its Bledsoe who did it, he is 'borderline starter and or 6th man"..

3. The Blake Show

People rip the guy for being an inconsistent starter since CP3 is out... but to go from playing 10-15 minutes a game normally to thrown into a starter role on a shorthanded team hitting their most brutal stretch of the season (Grammy road trip) is a huge change and challenge. Not to mention despite a few really bad shooting nights he's played great ball.

He needs more time to develop his shot and learn to run an offense better but the tools are there and the improvements have been huge.

4. The Blake Show

BTW couple mistakes in the stats. Here are the updated ones for his last 3 games. Was just a little off on steals and blocks. Still beastly as heck.

23 points, 10 assists, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block

17 points, 9 assists, 1 rebound, 2 blocks and 1 steal

27 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 6 steals, 3 blocks.

5. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Lol this guy a true internet keyboard warrior. Thinks he's an alpha male trying to throw thinly veiled insults over the net simply because I disagree with his opinion on a basketball player. Man, what inadequacies do you have in real life that makes you need to vent on the net like this?

Ask Atlanta or Dallas fans how they felt about Terry's play as a starting PG. I tried keeping the discussion civil but man, I suppose passive aggressivelosers need to vent somewhere.

6. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Looks like I was too premature with my statement. Haven't watched a Clipper game lately, how is he looking?

7. The Blake Show

He's looking great man. His court vision/passing still need work. A lot of times a player will be wide open and Bledsoe flat out won't even see the player. His shot is also extremely inconsistent. For example yesterday he started off the game like 1-7 (normal for him to have weird starts lately) but in the second half he shot like 75 percent to balance it out to about 49 percent shooting by the end of the game including 3-5 from deep.

His defense and rebounding are always at a high level assuming he's not in foul trouble. He's toned down the fouling a lot this week which has led to a big jump in minutes and production. When CP3 first went down Bledsoe was seemingly close to fouling out every game.

8. Nextup

Nextup Member

Bledsoe is easily a legit starter. You say he can't lead a team yet his assist numbers look good to me. He can score, rebound, pass and defend. His main weakness is shooting and that will improve. He is already a top 15 pg. He is arguably the best defensive pg in the nba on the strength of that alone he is a legitimate starter.

9. liunatic

liunatic Member

"Obligatory "Bledsoe is just a flash in a pan" just like Jeremy Lin" post

10. The Blake Show

"In 12 games as a starter, Bledsoe has averaged 14.2 points, 5.3 assists, 4.8 rebounds, 2.5 steals and 1.3 blocks. He has the fifth-best efficiency rating among Western Conference point guards behind only Paul, Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook and Stephen Curry."

Not bad in 30 minutes per game as starter. Basically Kyle Lowry with more defense, less offense.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-bl...s-2&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Great article on him today.

11. The Blake Show

“He’s picking up on a lot of nuances, spending so much time with [Clippers assistant coach] Robert Pack, watching film, breaking down game situations,” Billups said of Bledsoe. “I spend some time with him, talking about the game, about what I see out there and about what he can do out there. And, of course, he’s watching Chris and going over things with Chris. He’s in a very unique situation. To have a guy like Chris that you’re playing behind and having me here to help him out, oh man. He takes advantage of it.
    “He’s very coachable. He listens to everything and, more important than anything else, he wants to be great. He wants to be great. I don’t ever foresee any kind of coaching problems for him.”

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-bledsoe-thriving-ignoring-rumors-2/#IDjqvdirmckyK0b6.99

BTW Bledsoe is in the slam dunk contest.

12. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Great posts man, thanks for the insight.

When I watched the Clips this season I thought he was an absolute stud coming off of the bench and I felt he outplayed CP3 in a few games when he sub'd in.

Of course CP3 likes to slow the tempo of the game quite often while Bledsoe just came in like a wrecking ball so when you've got your offense going and you have a guy coming in with great energy in a PG friendly offense he's going to look better.

In his starts it looked like his BBIQ and court vision weren't too great for me, missed too many open players, didn't seem to get the tempo right or run the offense particularly well, erratic jump-shot, deferred too regularly to Jamal Crawford who was just too happy to jack up shots and a lot of his passes weren't sharp.

Of course he's still a young player with a lot of inexperience. Over time he'd obviously improve, I guess I was disappointed in seeing his play not translate over to full-time starter status while being under the tutelage of CP3 & Chauncey in a PG friendly offense.

He's obviously athletically gifted and a defensive monster in spurts. I doubt he'll ever be an elite play-maker but if he just added a jump-shot and went to a team that had a complementary wing player who could run plays he'd fit in fine.

13. The Blake Show

Agree 100 percent Charles. BTW grats to you Rockets fans for beating the living sh** out of the Warriors the other day.

14. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Bledsoe is a mini shooting guard. He possesses none of the important PG skillset. Court vision is poor, BBIQ not very good, TERRIBLE passer (blows alley oops/entry passes every game, and badly) cannot control the tempo of the game.

He's a shorter Westbrook with a worse jump shot and worse passing ability. BBIQ seems about the same though Bledsoe hasn't shown the same chucking tendency as of yet.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is very similar to Jeremy Lin. He makes questionable turnovers, can't control tempo and can't shoot.

Both players have excellent potential, but they play like they are in a junior college fullcourt press league.

Flip a coin as to which has a better future.

16. The Blake Show

He's nothing like Jeremy Lin man. He's a defense+rebounding first PG. Jeremy Lin is a much better playmaker and a more capable shooter but a much worse defender and rebounder. Bledsoe's numbers as starter have been 14.5 ppg, 6 rpg, 5.5 apg, 2.5 spg, 1.5 bpg. Does that look like a Jeremy Lin stat line to you?

17. The Blake Show

He's more of a Kyle Lowry/Gary Payton combo in terms of style and upside.

18. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

You might want to double check your numbers. I think they're off a little from the numbers I get from basketball-reference.com.

I get:
    14.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 5.3 apg, 2.5 spg, 1.3 bpg, 2.6 tovpg in 12 starts this year.

His #'s for 38 career starts:
    10.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.7 apg, 1.6 spg, 0.7 bpg, 3.1 tovpg.

Lin this year with McHale coaching 38 games
    13.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 6.1 apg, 2.2 spg, 0.4 bpg, 3.1 tovpg

Lin total 51 games this season
    12.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 6.1 apg, 2.0 spg, 0.4 bpg, 3.0 tovpg

Lin total 76 career starts
    14.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 6.6 apg, 2.0 spg, 0.4 bpg, 3.6 tovpg

Hopefully my numbers are accurate.

19. The Blake Show

Yea I was going by memory, but I was close.. .2 off on a couple things, nothing big. Still Bledsoe is a different player than Lin. Similar scoring+assists those games. Bledsoe is a better rebounder and defender though and their game isn't similar.

20. The Blake Show

Today had 13 points on 6-6 shooting in only 16 minutes. 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks (on Amare and Chandler to boot) and a steal. That's some SERIOUS damage in 16 minutes of play.