1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Epiphany regarding Webber Deal......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKET!!!, Jun 3, 2001.

1. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

I just had a major flash regarding Webber, the Rocks and da Bulls.

1. There have been several open reports of da Bulls disappointment/disatisfaction with Fizer/Miller (Miller and the #4 are currently being shopped).

2. The Kings have made it known to all that if they can not sign Webber, they want a sign and trade deal.

3. The Rocks have said repeatedly that they want to move up in the draft without damaging their core nucleous as well as grab Webber from free agency.

Given all of the above, the following seems to make a great deal of sense:

Sacramento signs Webber for $12,000,000 and ships him to the Rocks.

Rocks send #18,#23, forgive 2 - 2nd round picks owed by Chicago to Houston (Bryce Drew trade) & Cato ($7,000,000 in salary) to da Bulls (as Floyd/Krause have expressed a desire for his services).

Rocks send Williams ($5,000,000 salary for one year) to Sacramento

da Bulls send Fizer ($2,000,000 salary) and Miller ($5,000,000 salary with team opt-out) to Sacremento.

da Bulls send #4 to the Rocks.

All get what they want:

da Bulls get the Center they want, the trade down they desired in a two for one deal and move Fizer/Miller - $7,000,000 in salary for $7,000,000 in salary.

Sacramento gets Williams (for a one year homecoming, then clear $5,000,000 in cap room), Miller (they can opt-out if desired and clear $5,000,000 in cap room) & Fizer to replace Webber - $12,000,000 in salary for $12,000,000 in salary.

Rocks get #4 (moving up as desired with a two for one) and Webber by shedding Cato/Williams thus leaving plenty of cap space for their other free agents- $12,000,000 in salary for $12,000,000 in salary.

Of course, all this is dependant on whether Webber is agreeable and where he wants to play.

Clearly, draft picks traded to da Bulls may vary, but this seems to fill all needs for all teams.

gone like Reagan's memory......

ROCKET!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKET!!! (edited June 04, 2001).]

2. Band Geek Mobster

So the Rockets send off #18, #23, Cato, and Williams and we get the #4 and Webber?

Very nice how that works out perfectly for the Rockets.

gone like ROCKET!!!'s reality check...

------------------
    who am I, to need you now,
    to ask you why, to tell you no,
    to deserve your love, and sympathy,
    you were never meant to belong to me

3. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Bank Geek Member,
    Did you read the note at the bottom of the post.....

Picks may vary

Now I understand the Geek part.....

------------------

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

LOL!!!

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

[​IMG]

wake up, you're dreaming.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

6. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Francis3,

Thanks for the props.... I think?

Pardon the question, but - LOL????

Out.....

------------------

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure how excited the Bulls would be to lose the #4, Fizer, and Miller for Cato and 2 low-first-round picks. But then I've seen stupider things happen.

Can't wait till the season starts...

------------------
    "Light travels faster than sound, so some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak." -- Brian Williams (now Bison Dele) commenting on Isiah Thomas.

8. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

As I mentioned above - combination of picks may vary.

Rocks have #13, #18, #23 and two second round picks owed to us by da Bulls. The number and magnitude of these picks make it worthwhile for da Bulls.

They could eliminate draft pick debt, get quality player(s) at #13, #18 & #23. This is more a question of their priorities than a simple one-for-one deal. Lets face it, they have a monster whole in the middle (which is a really bad thing in a zone defense).

out....

ROCKET!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKET!!! (edited June 03, 2001).]

9. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

Wow, now that really is pretty funny!!!

No offense of course. But think to yourself would that happen?

Only if Webber comes to Houston straight out; no sign an trade deal.

And the Chicago thing may not be so far fetched.

It may happen, but it's going to be difficult. Everything has to fall together.

------------------

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'm still waiting on the Walt/Rogers/#2 for Garnettt deal. Y'all know that Minnesota is desperate for picks.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

It passed difficult right with his first proposal(Sac Signs C-Webb ships him here of all places)

If they lose him, they want him in the East.

Not to mentoin, he has to agree with this.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sam Smith of the Chicago Tribune seems to think he has the scoop on Antonio Davis. Sounds very plausible to me. And it could mean, too, that Detroit might not be out to help New York fetch Chris Webber. This is what Sam Smith posted (to be seen in tomorrow's Trib; I didn't provide the link, rather, I placed the text here that would interest us Rockets fans):
    Working magic in East: No Eastern Conference team was expected to seriously challenge the Western Conference this season. But the early favorite for next season in the East is probably the Orlando Magic.

It now seems almost certain that Toronto All-Star center Antonio Davis will sign a big contract with the Magic.

Davis has been making noise about leaving Toronto since the Raptors lost to the Philadelphia 76ers in the playoffs. His agent talked about a six-year, maximum-salary contract, though Davis will be 33 when next season opens.

Davis, who lives in Orlando in the off-season, wrote an open letter to Raptors fans saying:
    "Staying in Toronto is one of the options. It is very possible that I will stay. It is also
    possible that I will go. What if another employer offers you things that will give you and your family more peace of mind?"

But it seems the move to the Magic was worked out last week in a long series of moves and non-moves. Essentially, Orlando did not act on a draft-pick deal by a June 1 deadline; therefore, the Pistons will get a better draft pick out of a deal with the Vancouver Grizzlies. As consideration for this, the Pistons are expected to take some of the Magic's high salaries and thus clear room for Davis.

The maneuvering would give Orlando a core of Tracy McGrady, Grant Hill, Mike Miller, Darrell Armstrong and Davis—and probably a ticket to next year's Finals.

Here's the breakdown of the maneuvers:

The June 1 deadline passed for the Grizzlies to give the Pistons one of the top 18 picks in this year's draft to comply with terms of a 1997 trade for Otis Thorpe. The Pistons can now take Vancouver's first-round pick next year or the year after. It appeared that Vancouver had a deal to get the No. 18 pick, which was New York's. The Knicks owed it to Phoenix in the Luc Longley deal, and Phoenix owed it to Orlando in the Penny Hardaway deal. Orlando then owed it to Houston, which was prepared to package three draft picks to trade for Vancouver's first-rounder, which is the sixth pick in this draft. And then Vancouver would have passed that No. 18 pick on to Detroit.

But Orlando didn't have to commit to Houston until Monday. By Orlando's waiting past June 1, its deal with Houston couldn't be made—and therefore Vancouver did not get that No. 18 pick—so the Pistons will get Vancouver's pick next year or the year after. Houston sources suggested as a consideration to Orlando that the Pistons are expected to take a high salary from the Magic.

The Pistons are expected to take power forward Bo Outlaw, and perhaps even center Michael Doleac. Removing those two players from the payroll for future considerations will enable the Magic to get well below the salary cap and extend a major offer to Davis.

It's also possible the Magic will make a deal with the Bulls or Clippers to take Doleac if the Pistons cannot take both players.
    OK, this confirms one thing. We already knew that Detroit screwed us from trading with Memphis for the #6 pick (although Memphis got the raw end of the deal). But the Pistons seem poised to take Outlaw and Doleac so that the Magic can grab Davis.

I would not be surprised to see Detroit draft Loren Woods so that the #9 can be exhanged for Outlaw and Doleac.

The Magic are gonna kick some major ass next year.

The Rockets and the Kings will vie for Chris Webber. And Chris doesn't look too thrilled about Sacramento.

So, about Chicago: we might be able to make a maneuver that Rocket!! brought up, or something similar. I would say Cato + #13 + Drew obligation for Fizer; Fizer for Webber.

Use the #18 for Ken Johnson and #23 for Terrence Morris.

Or just sign Webber. But I'd like some cap flexibility for Marc Jackson, Hakeem, Moochie, whomever.

Sorry about the long post.

------------------

13. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

ROXTXIA,
    Thanks for the props!

One thought on this trade, we would have to have Webber's/Sacramento's prior approval.

Meaning....
    Talks with Webber can not occur until after July 1. We would have to trade with Chicago before draft day and get Sacramento to agree before draft day as well.

Somehow Webber's committment must be obtained to make the trade go through, but remember the Joe Smith deal. We must be very careful or we could end up like the T'pups. Ouch!

ROCKET!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKET!!! (edited June 04, 2001).]

14. Live

Live Member

Interesting scenario, but I don't think you can have both. Either,

1. The Rocks and Kings agree to a S&T that probably will involve 2 of the picks, maybe all 3 or future considerations (which I would HATE!!!, CWebb's good but not that good).

2. The Rocks move #13, #18, Cato, and the return of the Drew trade obligation for the Bulls' #4.

Personally, and hypothetically of course, I hope they go with option #2. IMO, Brown is going to be a better version of Webber in 2 to 3 years, and could be a contributor as early as next season. And of course, I'm all for any trade involving Cato.

------------------

15. gr8-1

Live, I like scenario #2 also, but that is VERY unlikely.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

16. Colby

Colby Member

No more rounds for you guys. Cut off!

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

17. Live

Live Member

gr8-1,

I didn't say it was going to happen, unfortunately there is a greater chance of Cato making All-NBA 1st team than that scenario going down.

AAAH, it's nice to dream. [​IMG]

------------------

18. gr8-1

That deal is as likely as my proposed KG deal. [​IMG]

------------------

19. gr8-1

You aren't saying that you wouldn't trade a package including Fizer for C-Webb are you ? I think the Rockets have to make a deal like that, if it were to happen.

I'm not big on Fizer, although admittedly I havent seen him play much. He just looks like a tweener to me, but maybe he will prove me wrong.

------------------

20. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Who's Epiphany and what does she have to do with Webber?

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx