1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Epic Threads Forum?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Band Geek Mobster, Apr 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Band Geek Mobster

Greetings,
    With the search function pretty much being disabled for a very long time, I wonder how important it is to actually keep old meaningless threads.

My idea is to collect the "historical bbs threads", lock them down, and re-locate them to a "History" forum so that they can be viewed by new posters that want to learn the history of the bbs (Maybe, Maybe no) or for old posters that just feel like being nostalgic. Once you collect all of the "historical" threads, I suggest just deleting all of the "unimportant" threads. I'm not sure how much of a burden all of those old threads put on the bbs, but without search, I think most of them are pretty useless since only a few lonely people actually have the time to search for a thread from October of 2000. Like I said, I have no clue what kind of burden this huge collection of threads has on the bbs, but I think this is a win-win situation. The load will be lighter with meaningless threads being deleted, and the history will be maintained forever. I've seen this idea on other boards, and I kind of enjoy the concept of keeping a bit of the history of the bbs constantly in view of new and old posters.

When I say meaningless threads, I don't mean every thread not locked up and thrown in the "history" forum, perhaps all of the 0 post and 1 post threads can be deleted. I imagine at least 60% of threads on this bbs have between 0-2 posts on them...

For implementation, I suggest perhaps a core of 5-9 people can decide what are the truly historical threads are on this bbs...

Just another idea from yours truly, I know the offseason just ended so I imagine most of you guys (especially Clutch) will be taking a much needed break, but maybe during the slower days of the offseason this can be implemented?

Thank you,
    -BGM

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like this idea, but how would they be easier to see in the Historical forum if there is still no search? Wouldn't they scroll off the screen over time just like any other thread?

3. Band Geek Mobster

Raven,
    First let me thank you for your reply and follow-up question...

I'd suggest lock and sticky...I think that would work...uh...yeah.

-BGM

4. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

I like the idea. ;)

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Searching is still not that hard if you know who started the particular thread in question.

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Who chooses these threads?

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I think BGM's idea is for a committee to be chosen and these 5 to 9 people choose.

I really like this idea simply because I think it would be a great way for newbies to learn about the BBS in every facet. It would also identify pretty quickly to them who are some of the big names when it comes to inside information (if they hadn't lurked in the past).

Plus it makes for pretty good and entertaining reading, especially, when you have those slow days at work.

8. Band Geek Mobster

I'd leave choosing how to do it up to Clutch since it's his site. My 5-9 people idea was simply a suggestion. I think it would be pretty easy to come up with a group of posters that are familiar with the history of the bbs who would do a pretty good job at deciding which threads should represent the history of the bbs...