1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Entering a small business venture...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mathloom, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hi, I thought I could use help from other entrepreneurs here. I'm looking to start a chain of barbershops in partnership with one other person and access to upto $550k (over 20 years) "interest-free" business loan. It's obviously not totally interest free, but it cuts out roughly 70% of the interest I would otherwise pay on it.

The first store opens Q1 next year in Dubai. The good news is we only need $100k for the first branch (this includes conservative start up costs + 1 year's operations) and we have that without needing to take a loan. Should we borrow the money? The reason I ask is everyone keeps saying to me I should take advantage of the facility as its a huge discount over any other kind of debt I'd have to acquire (possibly for expansion) in the future. What do you think? I could use my own money to pay off my personal loan.

The other thing I wanted to ask is if you have any ideas for things you think the barber should have, things you really like, things you really dislike, essentially your opinion about the service offered at barbershops.

Your posts would be extremely helpful, thanks!

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do you have any experience with barbershops?

3. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

$100k sounds like a lot for one branch, considering the plethora of barbershops near Bur Dubai charging 15 dirhams ($4). I assume you'll be setting it up in a more upscale area? Marina, JBR?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is it going to be only men cutting men's hair or mixed?

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No other than the fact that I go to the barber twice a week since I was 18.

However, my partner has a little bit of experience as a previous part owner of a barbershop and my lead barber is someone I trust he has 5-6 years of experience.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not quite.

More upscale but still casual, probably around Jumeirah. I can't give away much more, but it's a kind of niche barbershop.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Just men, though there may be female store managers. I would like to change that, but I have to listen to what the market wants.

8. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

1. straight-razor shaves
    2. having barbers that are able to properly taper the area around the neck

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

You go to the barber twice a week???

10. TISNF

TISNF Member

The market wants naked women and stripper poles. It would be a blast in Dubai.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Literally

1 person likes this.
  12. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

Borrow the money in the name of the incorporated company. if it fails, you dissolve the company and walk away with your savings intact. don't risk your savings if you got someone willing to loan you the money.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

who is going to loan a brand new corp any kinda money without a personal guarantee?

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Choose the option which is less likely to have you end up in debtors prison.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It depends on the interest rate. If the cost of borrowing is cheap, it is better to secure additional capital when you don't need it yet. The reason is if you run low on cash, and need the capital later, the cost of borrowing goes up because the risk of lending goes up. The flip side is that you may be paying interest on capital you don't need or getting yourself into debt that you can't get yourself out of.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Open up a bar, they make more money.

DD

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you don't know anything about the industry, so why do you want to open a barber shop? your lead barber has 5 years experience in what? business? or just cutting someone's hair?
    what about your barber shop is going to be different than other barber shops? why should someone patron your place instead of the one down the street?

not attacking you with these questions. but how you answer them is important.

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I believe ethnic Emirate's are given very favourable loan terms.

20. SacTown

SacTown Member

When you ask, "should we get a loan" - do you already have something solid set up to where you know the bank is going to give you a business loan for this?