1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the WEST FINALS Game 3 -- Can the Timberwolves get back in this? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Entering 2023... the Rockets are again the worst team in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Dec 30, 2022.

1. anchel

anchel Member

28th defensive rating and going down...

Silas changed the defensive system for this year. Wanted more activity, more next help. We basically give away the 1st help at any penetration (for free, at strong side, even though the 1on1 defender is still alive), but not even the 2nd help is prepared. The 2nd! We have a system based on activity, ball pressure and a lot of quick helping/rotation but we are not active, we are not disruptive and we don't help.

Jalen Green plays worst defense than at the end of last season. Jabari defends less and worst than at the preseason; Martin, Garuba... everybody is defending less and worse. And of course, Gordon stays the whole game walking around the court.

But no just that!... We have the worst offensive rating in the NBA in the last 15 games, coming from 7 straight games at home. Starting with 4 out of 5 offensive players. We have the worst TS% and worst assist/TO ratio in that stretch.

Much more could be said, but I don't think is necessary at this point.

Have a happy new year guys. Really hope this is our last season sucking this bad.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is still the EC with worse teams, not by much.

red5rocket likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but Sengun

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I hope we keep Gordon and then extend him next year. We should keep him until we get an elite FRP offered for him in a trade. I'm so happy Stone turned down multiple FRP trade offers for him. Sure, he's half assing it, and sure, he pouts, and sure, he clearly hates being here, but Ryan Hollins tells me his veteran presence will help our young guys.

5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's actually amazing that people thought it would be any different tbh. This is really year 2 of the rebuild. To compare, the Magic started their rebuild around the time we first got Harden. The Thunder started their rebuild when we got Westbrick. The Kings started a couple of millennia ago but they may not count. Stop expecting us to get better any time soon, we won't. People are acting like it's going to be a few months to turn around, it isn't, it'll be a couple of years before we're any kind of threat to compete. We'll be lucky to make the play in next year unless they do manage to get some big moves in the off season. Even if we get the #1 and Wemby comes here, it's still gonna suck next season, because despite potential these are rookies, sophomores and 3rd year players who are all supremely young and underdeveloped. Despite what the various "only fans" will tell you, none of our players are top players YET. Sengun is not an all star, Green is not an all star, Jabari is not an all star. GIVE THEM TIME.

Believe It!, hahachui, O-dawg and 9 others like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

haters gonna hate

Williamson and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

anything to be said for consistency?

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

What a shocker

but but but this is a play in team. They’re also supposed to be a .500 team LOL

#8 YOLO, Dec 30, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    harold bingo and Dobbizzle like this.
  9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Errr... the Thunder won like 50+ games and almost beat us to make the 2nd round of the playoffs when we traded them Paul for Westbrick's dumbass. How was that the beginning of their rebuild? I think their rebuild began when they traded away Chris Paul, not when they traded Worstbrook.

Aside from that, I generally agree. Though it's maybe not unreasonable to have hoped to see at least a little more from one or two of our top picks by now.

13 in 33, joshuaao and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you think Jalen should be top 5 all time for ppg for a 20 year old? Not enough being top ten all time?

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-points-per-game-average-by-a-20-year-old-in-the-nba#:~:text=LeBron James has put up,player, with 29.3 per game.

First time watching a team of 19-22 year olds?

SuperMarioBro likes this.
  11. Rokman

Rokman Member

I love that the Rockets team that eventually competes for (or wins) a Championship will be mostly homegrown drafted players like we had with our last Championships with Hakeem, Horry, Cassell.

Sengun, Jabari, Jalen, Tari and Tate are the 5 that will more than likely be on the team when that time comes. Christopher, Garuba, TyTy and Martin are a possibility but likely gone by that time.

Just crazy how many many guys who have started with us in the last 3 years.

Tate, Martin

Green, Sengun, Garuba, Christopher

Smith, Eason, Washington

Webanyama or Henderson?

Imagine fielding a team where the 8 - 10 main guys on the court who lead there team to a Championship were all drafted by the team. Doubt that has ever happened. I don't think the Celtics even pulled that off.

xaos likes this.
  12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'm actually mooostly pleased with Jalen, though it would be nice to see a little bit more scoring efficiency and defense (would be interesting to see that ranking by TS% among players who shot at least, I dunno, 10 FGA... or maybe a ranking by PER). That's some incredible company just above him on that list, though it starts to fall off precipitously after Jalen.

Smith is the main guy I had in mind. I know, I know, he's even younger and just weeks into his career. Green started out just as badly last year. But given the hype that was around this draft class even over a year ago, I thought we'd have seen at least a few more flashes by now.

To be absolutely clear, I am by no means writing off any of our young guys on this team. I think there is still a lot of potential, and I generally agree with the previous poster's message I was replying to that we're still early in our rebuild. I just can sympathize with a little bit of the frustration with some of our young studs.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

We start KPJ. Enough said

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Nowhere to go but up ... or over yonder...toward being outta sight outta mind!

FarmerFish likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Stone said to judge him in 2030…it’s just 7 more years, be patient

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

And people thought having a flat out loser as an owner wouldn't be a problem.

daywalker02, Ancient Moabite and YOLO like this.
  17. fchowd0311

Man you guys should join Knicks fandom or something.

They are the masters of putting out mid teams with average talent for perennial mid goodness. Hey you even get some playoff first round exists springled in there.

That's what you guys want.

I want a team where I can see hope for a high level contender in the future. That means we have to go through this phase of 19-21 year olds with high level talent getting their feet wet.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm loving watching these young players grow up. I know this is the last losing season for another decade or two, so pretty chill about it.

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

the thunder made the playoffs the first year we got Westbrook .

that’s more successful than any year of our rebuild so far .

I’ll give them time , but green and his class will be eligible for extension next year and we have decisions to make about their contracts coming up soon .

stone and Silas don’t have time . If things haven’t turned around by (some point ) next year they both will be canned and deservedly so

txtodd likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

So just eliminate all context huh.

That was what a 3 year younger CP3 on that team? The same dude that made a mid team in the Suns into a 60 win team that reach the NBA finals?

3 year younger CP3 is literally the best fit you could ask for on this roster.