1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enough with the Marcus Morris project

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Garner

Garner Member

Yea, it's a good point. I just don't recall seeing Morris attack nearly as much as Lin.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Morris still doesn't have a true position. He has problems at the three and the four.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I hope that wasn't the case because that plan failed.
    I understand what many of you are saying, but if Jones or White are able to get on the floor and out perform him, he would be right back in the position he was in last season.
    I already think Jones will do just that.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He didn't (while I was watching), but Lin is an attacking guard, and still only had 2 attempts.

I'd love to watch a game on TV instead of crappy internet feeds.

5. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Wasnt some guy claiming Morris was going to be like melo/pierce? Lol

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think he could adjust to the 4 much better. He'll be undersized, but not so much that he shouldn't be effective.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

He also was very pissed when they gave up that three pointer in the corner which was Morris man but he was late getting there. They called a time out and he was furious, you could see him coming out of his seat yelling! I love our assistant coach, would love to see that passion in our head coach.

8. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

to me? marcus morris looked like he was on xanax or something. he looked too calm to play that ****ty and not care.

he just seemed like he wasn't playing hard, just floating out there.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It was Morris saying that. A Melo that plays defense, IIRC.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'm not really anti-Morris, but I do think at this point of his development, he's better off continuing his development at the three. The man is just to damn undersized for the 4 spot, forgetting that he's around 6'7, he also possesses a very short wingspan and standing reach for a big man.

Not to mention we have two very talented, young, PF's waiting in the wings, in Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas. No reason to waste our time with Morris at the four.

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Even if Morey asked McHale to play Morris, why would be a failed plan if they are trying to jack up his stats and value?

Maybe they already know Jones has higher potential than Morris but since they have so many PF's, Morris will become a worthless asset and a first round bust if they don't showcase him.

This is a long season. Patient is needed in accumulating assets for the most crucial and final piece of championship puzzle.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He was rusty and said it himself. He thought he played just okay and that's what it was. It wasn't atrocious. Douglas definitely was though.

13. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Can't blame him for that, the Rockets weren't getting a lot of calls last night even when they were getting bowled over by the Pistons for most of the game.

To me, Morris not having the outside shot down is the most disappointing, that is critical if he is wants to spend time on the court.

14. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Totally agree with putting him back at 3. He looked good at 3 before his injury.

I really want to see more DMo at his natural 4 position, now that we have Smith and Aldrich as our backup 5. He can postup and is extremely skilled for a 7 footer, not to mention he can score from perimeter and space out our offense!

15. fv court

fv court Member

I think there must be some disagreement between Morey and McHale on how to use Marcus Morris. Morey drafted him as a SF...we sure didn't need another PF. McHale insists on playing him at PF. Unfortunately he is a tweener, too slow to guard elite NBA SFs and too small to guard elite PFs....and on offense he can't score. By the way, on two occasions last night he bypassed an easy dunk and missed a layup. More time is required a D-league to see if this guy has NBA skills, I have doubts.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And? You're not really making a strong case here. You're just not very patient. If you cut all the guys who showed similar patterns over their first 17 games, can you imagine how much talent would have been passed up over the years?

Look for improvement in this case. Consistency will come as he improves. If he could have consistently good games already, then he obviously would have gone higher in the draft. Budinger did the same in his first season.

I've only watched the first quarter so far, but he hasn't done what a lot of people claim. He missed 2 layups, one was a foul, the other was defended well, although he could have done better on it. It's nerves. He's trying to hard to do well when the ball is in his hands. Everything else he did. He hustled, swung the ball quickly, rotated over on time, spaced the floor, etc....I imagine, if he stopped doing it later in the game, it was probably due to fatigue from not practicing lately (injury).

Maybe he said Morris was frustrated??

#116 RV6, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  17. thekad

thekad Member

He was really bad last night, but - to be fair - he was being played out of position. It was mostly his defense and rebounding that hurt us. On the other end, he at least helped with spacing (though both Motie and T. Jones could fill that role easily).

18. trowa

trowa Member

thats why i added "even" just to emphasize how bad morris is.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The problem I've noted with morris is he doesn't have a position. He's not quick enough or explosive enough to play 3,nor is he long or big enough to play 4. Thing is,if you're gonna have a guy like morris,the guy at the other spot needs to be a tweener also. That way you can play different positions offensively and defensively. To play with a guy like morris,you need either young marion,odom,kenneth faried type of guy. Parsons is a straight 3 so they don't matchup well.

20. trowa

trowa Member

morris should just turn into al harrington kind of guy because he cant do anything else on the floor