1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enough is enough, it's time to move Francis to the 2 spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j-bone, Jan 18, 2002.

1. j-bone

j-bone Member

I know this has been discussed on this board numerous times but I'm sick and tired of this point guard position handicapping The Franchise. Francis would run the league crazy if he were moved to the shooting guard position. He's a great shooter who can blow by any 2 guard in the league. I mean why not, that's what he played at Maryland. By playing the 2 guard he wouldn't have to worry about getting everyone involved. He would only have to worry about scoring 25 to 30 points a game. I say move Cuttino back to point guard just like his rookie year and put Steve at shooting guard. I would convert K.T. to small forward because he has better quickness to keep up with other small forwards and put E.G. at power forward so he can stay down low and be our defensive stopper. Then I would just throw Cato out there just to fill up the lineup card (I would rather have Clutch, but that's another subject). What do you guys think?

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Two words why Steve won't be moved to the 2 spot this year. Moochie Norris. Untill we find someone capable of running this team from the point Stevie Franchise isn't going anywhere..

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So you would leave Francis and Mobley on the floor together, but just change their titles? What does that accomplish?

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Two Words, Jason Williams

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mobley at the Point? CAPTAIN FUMBLE PASS?

No way !!!!!!!

Mobley is a good passer on the easy entry passes to Hakeem and Barkley, but he gets like 3 TOs a game trying to do the underhanded shovel pass.

Mobley is NO PG, heck, he has a 1-1 TO to Assist ratio now, and you want to make him POINT?

I don't mind moving Steve to 2 guard, if you could trade Mobley for Andre Miller, then you would have something.

DD

6. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Let's see, you take a guy who likes to shoot and doesn't pass much, and make him a point guard. Then you take a guy who likes to pass and leads the team in assists, and make him the shooting guard.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster (or a way to get Cuttino 35 shots a game).

7. Dm324

Dm324 Member

r u kddin miller is the best pg in the NBA not named Kidd, the cavs would never trade him for mobley, all mobley can do is score and thats sometimes

8. BTM

BTM Member

Moochie will pound the ball into dust with all his dribbling.

9. BTM

BTM Member

Mobley isn't a PG. You can't turn a notorious blackhole into a PG and hope to win.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Move Mobley to the three. Francis to the two. Moochie to the one.

If Eddie or KT can play the three, you could flip between small and big lineups to matchup with different opponents.

11. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Francis plays better at the point, than at the two.

12. haven

haven Member

I think that, ultimately, perhaps Francis should end up at the 2. His true strength does seem to be his mid-range game and explosive attacks at the basket.

However, as long as the Rockets lack a true 1, there's no way they can afford to put Francis at the 2. Moochie Norris is a good ball handler, but lacks a terrific shot, only uses one hand too much, and isn't really a playmaker. Mobley is... well... Houston's answer to Jerry Stackhosue :). Not exactly the idea point...

I really wish Bryce Drew had worked out. He'd have been the perfect compliment to Francis.

13. j-bone

j-bone Member

It accomplishes alot. The mind set of these players will be totally different. Look at the Philadelphia 76ers when Iverson was the point and whoever else was the shooting guard. What that did was free up Iverson more so he can attack the basket as opposed to getting everyone first. Once Iverson made the transition, the league was shook by this guy. Like Calvin Murphy say, there shouldn't be a title on players, they should just be allowed to play.

14. spence99

spence99 Member

I don't think Francis is like Iverson at all. Iverson shoots all the time, while Francis looks to pass a lot. There are games where Francis does not score a whole lot, he just makes the players around him better.

The Rockets had a winning record last year with Francis at the point, they have a winning record this year when Francis is in there. Why change when your winning? Besides, Mobley NEVER passes!!!

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Never work. Easily the smallest 1/2/3 combo in the league. Opponents will post all day long, and these guys aren't exactly lockdown defenders. Bad idea. Matter of fact, any line up with Moochie starting is bad, long term. Stevie may be able to play the two though, but Cat at the 3 is disastrous. The guy is a natural 2.

16. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, I like Mobley at the 6. Not likely, but he is an ideal 6th man "microwave" style player. Didn't he have a run at 6th man of the year b4 ? I'd rather start Torres, and feed the starting attack thorough Griffin-Francis (Thomas), run bench attack with Cat, Mooch, and Grif or Thomas.

You have to choose a focus for each attack. Grif should be the man, with Francis. Cat should be the man in the second unit, with Taylor maybe, next year. You can't have everybody jack anything up anytime. Your top options should get support, respect and the damn rock from their supprting cast teammates.

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

Steve plays better at the point because he doesn't want to be stuck playing the 2
    if he plays the 2 well he won't get to play the point which is why he threw a fit about going to the griz (bibby)

Francis can play the point but he's got to play it like Marbury, Shoot first, make the other team say oh crap we better double when he gets in the lane and then his assists will go up, as will his points, free throw attempts, and kato dunks

18. JR

JR Contributing Member

how would Bryce Drew, had he worked out, have been the perfect complement to Steve?

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Good question. I was born in Valparasio, Ind. So naturally I'am rooting for a guy like Bryce, but you can't tell me a Bryce-Francis combo is better than a Francis-Cuttino combo. No way!! Hoosiers Rule!! Go Texans!!:D

#19 Roc Paint, Jan 21, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2002
  20. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

i think francis is just a different type of player...
    I don see him as a point guard right now... he is more of 1/2 in between... heck.. i don think i can descrbie his position when he is in the game.. It is not 1.. it is def not 2...