1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ennis's playing time will kill us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 疯狂伊文戴德蒙, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

PJ should be at 27 Ennis 5 if at all.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

First of all he is decent at vet min, everybody agrees on this.

However Ennis has been woefully mediocre when given lots of time to play, an Ariza he certainly is not. His TS% may be high but he only has 7.5 pts in 20 mpg, that means his shot attempts are too small for his TS% to play a big role. If his scoring isn't big then he should have an impact elsewhere but everything else has been underwhelming too, he has 2.7 rebs in 20 mins thats just pathetic and his defense is been average at best.

Nothing wrong with Ennis but he is clearly 2nd tier bench material which is ok for vet min. Guys like Rivers, Clark and House should be ahead of him in the rotation.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I dare you to find just one post where I'm saying Ennis is better than Ariza. Who TF is "you guys"?

I already acknowledged they don't tell the whole story, but they do tell part of it and adds significantly to debates because they are the only things that aren't mostly subjective. Just like I can argue subjectively all day, that he ain't in no godamn boat with MCW.

Also, I didn't cherry any stats ??? Name one thats cherry-picked.

#63 ThatBoyNick, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well, it depends what you define mediocre, as you said from the standpoint that he's a vet min I think he's been solid. I don't think he's been productive enough to be a full-time starter, but he's solid as a bench player for 15-20mpg if he's playing well.

I disagree that his efficiency isn't relative, it still matters, just like PJ's efficiency matters on his 8PPG, efficiency from role players, no matter how small the role is important for winning. And yes he's a poor rebounder, agree that his defense is average - little foul prone, but has some burst of hustle at times as well.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Actually House should be at 27 too so that leaves nothing for Ennis like I said, he should be getting 3 - 5 minutes there's no one else that Ennis should be taking minutes from other than Tucker who is playing too many and even then most of those minute should go to house.

6. JazzLakerHater

I was never very high on him to begin with. It’s like what one poster said above, he was a bench player on a lottery team.

He’s actually shot the ball better than I expected, even though his release motion is slow af.

But his defense has been very underwhelming. Dude fouls like crazy.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You are focusing on TS% and totally ignoring the fact that he's a turnstyle on defense. He still seems out of place and we went on a run as soon as he got injured and was no longer starting, there's a REASON for that. Also HE GAMBLES ALOT, which looks great if he gets a steal but is terrible when he doesnt which is much more likely. He is basically the new Corey Sewer. Finally you guys are saying 15 - 20 min again where are those minutes coming from. Because House and PJ should be getting 27 and I would much rather play Rivers than Pennis. SO where are you gonna get those minutes from? He was pushing it playing 14 and thats with Paul and Gordon gone.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Now your accrediting our run to Ennis being out? Lmao unreal.

I was clear what I thought about his minutes and our rotation in a post above... if you want to know where I stand on that you can re-read it. I think he's average on D, I don't think he's Brewer. Let me know when you find the post of me saying he's better than Ariza, and let me know when you find those cherry-picked stats champ.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Golden State is a diffrent animal. They have 5 all stars you can afford to have scrubs when you have 5 all stars. His defense has to be much better to play on the Rockets.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Oh god here we go, you're trying to veer off subject so you know you're wrong at this point. There were people saying that he was better than Ariza actually a lot. Its just funny to me how I was screaming he shouldnt be a starter and all these people were acting like he was the best thing ever now all thats left is he's decent lol its just funny to me. And yes like I said you were just focusing on ts% as if thats the end all be all so.. yeha thats cherry picking. There's no time for him once Cp3 and Gordon get back. He's just not good enough to take minutes from someone else. And yes we were instantly better the moment he got injured. Thats not a coincidence bro.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I haven't veered off the subject - at ALL. I don't think i'm wrong, I think your projecting hard bro.

I never said he was better then Ariza, what other people say doesn't reflect on me. Me focusing on TS% ISN'T cherry picking, it's me focusing on his offensive efficiency because I think it's important relative to the conversation

And hell to the MF yeah it's coincidence we started playing better "the moment he got injured" ... my god man stop while it's early on this one, please. Harden balling out of his mind in a historically great manner is waaaaay more important to focus on when thinking about our recent run.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Isnt that a stat though? You're so big on stats we went on a run when he stopped starting is that stat not good enough for you? You're still cherry picking focusing on only one thing that helps your argument is literally cherrypicking look it up. Also finally when I said you "you guys" I meant posters and I find it funny how so many people supported him and now its like down to you lol Its just hilarious to me. Im not projecting i just lump all you pro Ennis people in one big stupid group lol no offense.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Us going on a win streak is a stat?

Let me get this straight, me stating Ennis is efficient and his TS% is very high is cherry picking

And your claiming Ennis being injured was the reason we went on a winning streak

And you're lumping ME into the big stupid group?

god damn lmao, no offense taken bruh

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So how many games we win when a player is not a starter vs the fact that we regularly lost when he was means nothing to you but his ts% does and you dont think thats cherrypicking? Got it lol

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You can't justify giving Ennis minutes over green that would be stupid. I hope MDA does not do this.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Mediocre for me is a little below average to average. He is a good signing for a bench role because bench roles typically cost 7M+ and he is just vet min, but I think he is worth around 3-5M with his play so he still a relative bargain. Compare him to House and Clark though obv those two have been playing better for the same price.

Of course efficiency matters but volume also matters if you take only 4 FGs a night whether that is 50% FG or 75%FG or even 25% FG then thats just 1-3 FGs a night thats not significant. Tucker indeed only has 8 ppg most nights but his value is on defense, spacing and rebounding which Ennis doesn't really provide hence Tucker deserves to start and Ennis should only be a secondary bench role.

Look how the Rox had a 50-50 record when Ennis was starting there's a reason House and Rivers have gotten more PT recently and its not just cuz he was injured.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really the point of the conversation here bw myself and Cx

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Its a public conversation and I know your point, you were going with semantics. Yes contenders have minimum players but they usually dont play significant minutes unless we are talking the Warriors in which case like I said they have 5 all stars. The Rockets cant afford to do the things GSW is doing we are already putting enough pressure on Harden as it is. Thats why its silly to keep giving Ennis minutes.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

theres plenty of other playoffs teams that play min players in their rotation. GS was just the obvious one to start with so there was no need to go any further. It isn't silly at all. he's more than capable of spelling the core guys for 10-15 mins a night.

#79 YOLO, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Sure he can come in for 15 mins but it will likely hurt the team and that's the point.