1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ennis's playing time will kill us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 疯狂伊文戴德蒙, Jan 8, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

im more in the 10-15 min range and occasionally he'll probably have one of those games where hell get a little more. the minutes he got last night were just fine to spell minutes for the core guys. did he make some mistakes. sure but so did everyone else. he still found ways to contribute but apparently hes under the scapegoat microscope now though. someone has to be it seems

roslolian and Soneca like this.
  2. Soneca

Soneca Member

Ideally:

CP3 28 min - Rivers 20
    JH 34 - Rivers 6 - EGo 8
    House 24 - EGo 20 - GGreen 4
    PJ 24 - GGreen 16 - Ennis 8
    Capela 30 - Nene 14 - PJ 4

I guess you're right, with injuries and resting, he should get about 15 mpg in normal conditions. BTW, man, how I'd like to see MDA distributing the minutes like that, one's allowed to dream I guess!

3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

melo >>>>>> ennis

dead serious. defense is about the same except melo is better rebounder. offensively its no comparison.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

5. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He played much better against us when he was with Memphis. I hoped that would transfer. MDA must've had high hopes for him judging by the way he forced him into the starting lineup. He looks out of place when he's out there.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's been nothing special his entire career. but all the feedback posted and published from the offseason showed that he earned that spot. and its not surprising considering who all he was competing with for that 3 spot.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'll give you Jerebko, although we will see how much he plays in a tight playoffs series. Jordan Bell is a terrible example. He is on his rookie contract. He is barely in the rotation now. And he won't be in the rotation when Cousins is healthy.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesn't really matter how you view it. you claimed contenders dont have min players in their rotations. that's false

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Ennis has the 2nd highest FG% on the team out of our rotation players at 49.4%, and he's shooting a solid 35.7 % on over 1.2 made 3's per game in his 23 minutes. You guys are tripping, he's got a TS of 61% which is fantastic. His defense isn't great, but it also isn't bad, it's neutral with a burst of hustle.

He's been very solid for a 28-year-old vet min pickup.

10. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Paid like a garbage, plays like one too. I think he's playing up to expectation. He is definitely a minimum type player.

SF3isBack!! and roslolian like this.
  11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Dude is a walking foul or turnover.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Im sorry at this point if you're still defending Ennis you're just not very smart. There is more to basketball than FG%.

roslolian and RocketRed84 like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If you think TS% is FG% then you aren’t very smart lmao.

Ennis is finishing over 35% of his shots at the rim, and guess what he’s shooting on them? 73%

That means he’s been finishing at an elite level for a wing. He’s also been a solid 3PT shooter, offensively he’s perfect for our system. Defensively he’s neutral with some burst of hustle. Overall, like him for vet min.

YOLO likes this.
  14. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

He needs to shoot or slash more. He looks useless on the defense and offensive side right now. I'd rather he shoot 34% on 6 threes a game instead of 40% on three 3s a game.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If only there was some position in the organization that could make decisions like this!

What is it called? The .... fans? No... it starts with a C.

The ... Chef? no...
    The ... Captain? no...
    The ... Coach? OH! Yeah!

16. Game7

Game7 Member

Been saying this all year...he just looks out of control. I like him fine to play ~10 mins at Forward (much like BK is currently playing ~10 mins at guard) to give guys a rest but he can’t be a primary/secondary option. Which is a bit disheartening considering how thin we are at his position. Change my mind James. Please!
    Otherwise we need an upgrade at the 3/4 slot.

macan and SF3isBack!! like this.
  17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is why I hate talking to some of you guys on this board. You started with fg% did you not? Thats what I was referring to? You dont even know what you said. Secondly you point to that stat as if thats the reason that people are saying he should not be on the Rockets and we're just missing it... Ennis is a scrub who is always out of position and does not have a very high bbiq. He is a walking foul/turnover or the person he guards blows right by him. No one is picking on Ennis just like no one was picking on MCW, they are just not good enough of a fit to be on the Rockets. Ennis was never a good fit. The Rockets played so much better without him in the starting lineup even with Gordon out. He is a clear addition by subtraction guy. You would have to be an idiot to still want him to average more than 5 minutes a game on this team, taking minutes from who exactly? When Paul and Gordon get back who exactly should we take minutes from to give to Ennis? Should we start him and sit House?? Should we reduce Austin Rivers minutes to give Ennis time? no the answer to that is no.

RocketRed84 likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know what you are referring to, I excluded as much of your post as you did mine. My point is TS% isn't a simple stat like FG% is, a player shooting a FG of 49% isn't always an efficient player - Example, Joakim Noah has a FG% of 49 just like Ennis, but a TS% of 51.5 which is well below average efficiency.

Stats provide valuable information about a player, I know they aren't everything but there's no denying Ennis isn't an efficient player who can hit the 3 and finish at the rim on fast breaks and cuts, which to me, argues a point that he fits for our offense.

Another thing stats can cover is things like TO's / Fouls, in order for him to be a walking turnover, he has to be averaging more than 0.9 turnovers per 36 - one of the lowest on the team with a net positive assist to turnover ratio, that stat completely kills your argument that he's turnover prone. Stats also prove, that yes he is very foul prone and averaged 4.8 per 36, which is too high for a vet wing.

I think your way off comparing him to MCW, Ennis is a significantly better fit for our team and the NBA then MCW. MCW is the plague offensively, Ennis fits our offense well. I think as I stated earlier in the thread, that he's good for 15-20 MPG if he's playing well.

I won't argue his minutes should or should not be reduced, it depends on how he ends up playing relative to our other bench options, now with Rivers, House, Green playing effectively we will have some depth and choices to make with our rotation once Gordon and Paul are back.

I'd start House over Ennis, House is beginning to show potential to become a starter level wing and we should give him the opportunity to seize that role.

RocketToVegas likes this.
  19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Weird call-out lol. He's decent at his price & reduced minutes. Ennis leads the team in 2pt%. Even more than Capela. (The Rockets arent a 2-pt team, but efficiency is efficiency)

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Again stats dont tell the entire story. Shooting well does not make him a good fit. He shouldnt average more than ten minutes and when Paul and Gordon get back he should not even be in the lineup. Its interesting at the begining of the season you guys were calling him a starter and better than Ariza. Yes he is in the same boat as MCW and Hartenstein. They are all scrubs who ruin the Rockets chemistry. You can cherry pick stats all you like he's still a scrub.