1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(End of Season Poll) Where do you stand on McHale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 15, 2014.

?

Where do you stand on McHale

Poll closed Apr 19, 2014.
  1. He is a good coach, I want to keep him

31.4%
  2. He is a good coach but I'd still try to upgrade this offseason

42.6%
  3. He is a bad coach, I want him gone

17.6%
  4. I abstain, courteously.

8.3%
  1. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

2. Mr Chuck Norris

He's resigning? I haven't heard of that. Maybe his family issues will get to big for him. I can see it.

I hope we can pry away Chaka Smart, If not SVG, JVG, Karl would be cool with me. I hope we can hire Battier as an assistant coach too.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I reckon a fair question... did he coach anyone up? Perhaps Jones? Maybe Beverley? Did he coach players down?

Were there games when he made a move that made you think... wow, he outcoached the opposing coach?

One thing he has to be given credit for... the players seem to like him, and there hasn't been dissension on the team (other than Asik's pout).

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Right now, Mchale isn't a championship caliber coach. However unlike the other pessimistic posters here I think Mchale can still grow into the job. Rather than looking at him in a vacuum, compare his coaching this year to last year, it definitely improved to a great extent. He's still a newbie coaching, remember how much of a clown JKidd looked like in the beginning of the season? And this is one of the best pgs ever, what more a dude like Mchale who didn't have as a high a bball IQ as Jkidd when he was playing?

Mchale has a lot of stuff going for him outside of X's and O's. He has rings. He has star power. The players like him and respect him at the same time. Sure the tactics really leave a lot to be desired but he has assistants who are coach lifers, and tbh X-and-O's can be learned with experience, as we can see with Kidd during the beginning of the year and now.

Plus, you can't argue with results: 4rth seed in the most competitive WC in years with HCA against Portland. If mchale is gonna get the blame for our losses then he should get credit for putting us in the ideal spot heading into the playoffs. You can't pin the losses on him and then not give him credit for the wins.

5. verysimplejason

While it's true that McHale's not a championship caliber coach, I'd wager that all he needs is a very good set of assistant coaches to cover his weaknesses. He's a player's coach who appeases his stars and that's mightily important if you want the team to be on a common goal. Anyway, championship teams are built around stars and not around role players (except that Detroit team). It will be a little bit hard to find somebody like him among current crop of coaches as much as I hate his X and O's as a coach right now.

Well, to release him or not, it will entirely depend on who's available. If somebody better becomes available, then why not. If there's nobody better than him available then it will be better to stick with him.

6. adobo

adobo Member

If the Rockets reach the WCF? Will that change a lot of ppl's minds? Or is it Finals/championships or bust?

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

With that last loss against the Pelicans I gotta give Mchale a C+. I had at a B- before that game. Mchale would be terrible trying to coach a team full of good role players.

8. SeabrookMiglla

i abstain. i think this playoffs will be a good indicator, its a time when both players and coaches can shine or fade.