1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(End of Season Poll) Where do you stand on McHale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 15, 2014.

?

Where do you stand on McHale

Poll closed Apr 19, 2014.
  1. He is a good coach, I want to keep him

31.4%
  2. He is a good coach but I'd still try to upgrade this offseason

42.6%
  3. He is a bad coach, I want him gone

17.6%
  4. I abstain, courteously.

8.3%
  1. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Look at the names you just mentioned. You're actually going to blame McHale for the fact that Omri Casspi, Jordan Hamilton, and Donatas Motiejunas aren't performing??? Those guys are just flat out not that talented... meanwhile you're going to ignore Jones's ascension as well as Harden and Bev's improvement? Let me guess... those guys are doing it "in spite of McHale"?

1 person likes this.
  2. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

This year's playoffs success shall determine my judgment on mchale.

3. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I agree with all of this. Straight from Morey's mouth people :grin:

Seriously I'd hate to lose him do to he has a good relationship with the players which is important but we have to get a better Xs and Os guy.

And I know it's a longshot, but If Tim Duncan does retire after this year do you think Pop would consider jumping ship over to Houston. We know he loves what Bevs does and he and Harden seem to be on terms with how much they were talking and smiling with each other last night. And he could turn our bench into a well oiled machine and hopefully get Dmo to play like a damn man!

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is my sentiment exactly.

I didn't think McHale was a good hire. I thought he didn't do well last season. But I said that he was basically a rookie coach and I'd give him some time before I'd judge him. Over this season, I think he has improved.

If the rumor is true, that McHale was hired because he was open to Morey's analytic approach to the game, then that's that.

But I do think that for a young team like ours, a so-called "player's coach" is not a good fit. The guys need a leader. Howard and Harden aren't mature leaders. We don't have a Chuck Hayes or Shane Battier in the locker room. We need a strong coach. And McHale isn't that.

That said, let's see how he does in the playoffs.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Is Tom Thibodeau a pipe dream? Can we trade for him?

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hated the guy while he was in Minnesota but he has done a good job with the Rockets. I I am fine with keeping him around.

Now if a couple of years from now we can't get into the playoffs or are stuck in the first round my opinion might change.

7. Karolik

Karolik Member

A couple of years? Hell if we don't make it out of the first round this year he should be gone.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Kevin McHale has essentially been exactly what Morey and the front office hoped for. He is a leader and that is what the Rockets wanted. He has kept the players on the same page, avoided controversy and has been calm and collected when needed.

As far as X's and O's, he was not expected to be an expert. The Rockets believe in surrounding a head coach with strong and creative assistants. Also, McHale has made adjustments and has called timeouts.

Some people do not like our bench production, but he was handed hot garbage. It isn't a surprise, when you purge your team to get Howard and Howard, you will have bench issues year one. Further, a number of players have improved under McHale, including Beverley, Parsons, Jones and DMo.

I expect McHale to continue to improve. It wasn't long ago that Doc Rivers was being roundly criticised for his strategy and decisions. McHale clearly has the presence, calmness and leadership abilities to be a very good coach.

Also, to everyone that wants McHale gone, I never get realistic options.

To those saying George Karl, he has serious health issues, is old and has had some of the worst choke jobs in NBA history. Further, he has his own style of play and it doesn't fit the Rockets.

Jeff Van Gundy? He doesn't fit the Rockets offensive philosophy or coaching philosophy.

Tim Tibs? Not happening. He doesn't fit the Rockets philosophy and all and is under contract with the Bulls for several years.

Rick Adelman? That just isn't happening...

Only REAL possibility? Stan Van Gundy.... he believes in the importance of communication between the GM and coach. He believes in the importance of metrics. He is friends with Morey and is very smart. However, is he an upgrade over the Stan Van Gundy roller coaster? Would the issues between Howard and Van Gundy reappear?

1 person likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Somewhere between the 1st and 2nd options. Depends on who is available or interested. Also depends on how the team does in the playoffs. As of right now, the Rockets have done about as well as I expected. But I know people were screaming "best in the west" right after the Dwight trade.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is his third season with the Rockets and the first where he has a team that he really has a hand in putting together. As much as we all like instant success there is always a learning curve between coach, players and organization. Particularly when it is a very young team.

11. afk

afk Member

I agree with this.

12. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Not sure what we would have to give up, a lot probably.

What are some peoples thoughts on Larry Brown?

I am not sure who exactly is available that would be a guaranteed upgrade. George Karl possibly? As much as I love Jeff Van Gundy I have no desire to watch whatever atrocity it is that he calls offense back in our game plans.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Everybody always wants a new coach till they actually get one!

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's a placeholder. He won't stop us from getting to the finals but he'll stop us from winning one.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I trust mchale can win us a ring I really do. I can see it now when we do win it. Howard hugs mchale and says thank you coach for making me a better player while holding up the trophy.

I can dream right.

16. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I would wait after the playoff to decide. I'm sure Morey and Les are thinking the same thing.

17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

The thing is he is good Players coach and players love playing for him but when it comes down to X's and O's he definitely below average

18. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

This is what I think about McHale:

19. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

There should be an option for McHale is a decent choice but I want an upgrade. He's a mid tier coach imo, but I'm almost certain we're never winning a title with this guy in charge. Let's get Lionel Hollins please

20. Andrew Wiggins

Harden, howard, asik, parsons, and co are always going to win at least 52 games regardless of their coach or conference. Mchale is an average coach, maybe a little above average so we should get 55 wins assuming we win the next game.

The problem is he is always going to get out coached by the top coaches in the league. thibs, carlisle, jackson, vogel, popovich, rivers, etc. will always make the right adjustments on the fly and that is something mchale struggles with.