1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[email] An Open Letter to Sen. Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wnes, Jan 14, 2008.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Do a clutchfans search.

2. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

I think we need to start some where. This is a great country. But we can make it an even better country. :)

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Or, in Senator Obama's words, we can hope.

4. Major

Major Member

I'd much rather hear it from you, since you're the one that made the claim. A search could leave it to misinterpretation.

5. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

So what if the non-Asians are aware of there is discrimination? Does this get them on the Asian's side in addressing the issue?

Proposals, ideas, initiatives and policies are what we need. Forget those 6 questions, if a candidate is proactive in pursuing some way to address the issue, then he/she has my vote. The disconnect in all this is that the candidates have simply agreed to listen, there are no mentions that they will work constructively on proposals, ideas, initiatives or policies.

The issue won't be solved by meaningless words either. They're not taking my vote or my money with the language on that questionnaire.

6. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Chill. I did not say this was a handout, I was trying to put Obama's behavior into context of the rest of his campaign; my opinion is, he is using a different strategy to gain support than democrats typically employ, which is kissing sweet ass to their base (unions, etc) and hoping to cajole enough 'outsiders' to join. It has worked once, but that was with Bill Clinton. It's a fading strategy. Obama does not kiss ass to traditional democratic groups, and he does not appear to take commitments lightly. I am not saying it's a handout. I am saying Obama seems to me to be less apt to sign off on an empty commitment based on his willingness to challenge the typical democratic base. Which i like.

Addressing the concerns of Asian Americans in a meaningful way is to the massive benefit of all Americans, economically, socially, fiscally, and morally. No two ways about it. And those stats seem correct to me - Asians encounter the obstacles presented by the racism and sexism and homophobia which corrodes the American 'melting pot.' Something should be done, and I believe something will. I plan to be part of the process.

However. Please please please be careful judging a potential president's commitment to these issues by his signing or not signing the 80/20 questionnaire. Just make sure the measures of success are valid - resume, commiments, track record keeping commitments, and so forth. I worry about 80/20 on Obama somewhat, because on first glance - I dont believe they are being forthright about their dialogue with his team, and it just seems like a broadside. For example, in their "defeat obama" missive (12/31/07) they cite the following:

1) Primary is an elimination process.
    2) Obama lacks national experience.
    3) Obama lacks executive experience.
    4) Obama lacks the courage to meet his own standard.
    5) Not ready for the real world.

Only #4 is related to the questionnaire, but does not cite any other concrete rationale to support the assertion that Obama would be a lesser friend to the Asian American cause other than not signing the questionnaire - to me, they seem like generic Obama attacks (unelectable, inexperienced, etc. etc. etc.) Its not specific in what would be gained or lost by having Clinton or Edwards or Obama as president. To me, those attacks seem generically political, and signing the questionnaires seems a little like 'typical token appeasement' to me.

It's not that I find Asian American advancement to be 'irksome,' - that is silly. I believe it to be absolutely essential to the health of American culture - as I do with many underrepresented groups. Please understand, I am at this point pulling for Obama because I believe that his goals and means to achieve them will benefit traditionally underrepresented groups far more than Hillary and Edwards, Asians included. I will be happy learn more about this, i need to work right now, but will be eager to engage in this dialogue as the race continues. Please keep an open mind about Obama on this issue, as I will to those who disagree. Matters of race escalate very quickly (see: the news right now) and it would be damn shame if the details and subtlety of making a country less infected by prejudice get drowned out by old racial animosities.

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

8. tie22fighter

CBrownFanClub,

I too find Mr. Obama an extremely attractive candidate. His background as son of recent immigrant resonant with me. He went to Harvard. Rather than taking a position in a lucrative law firm, he went to Chicago inner city to help his community.

And boy, is he an inspirational speaker!

It is about time America has the first minority president!

But when it comes down to it, is he going to represent me? Is he going to say yes to do a study or not?

9. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

People who are born poor are the most exploited/discriminated-against people in this country, whatever their ethnicity.

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I don't see why not. I am sure there are bigoted non-Asians but I am far more confident there are more many good open- and fair-minded folks who don't take pleasure in seeing the continued discrimination against talented and qualified Asian Americans in workplace in highest degree. Do I sound like Obama or Hillary? LOL

So finally we agree on something?

You see, those things need a platform and perhaps a kick-start. A national and public forum is the place for that. Increasing awareness won't hurt your cause. Note we are not asking the President to send National Guards to force various sectors to hire and promote Asian Americans in the workplace, or else.

A candidate who is willing to listen is far more appealing than one who is dismissive. You are probably right that none of the candidates we've mentioned has proactively pursued Asian American interests in his/her political life, but we are happy to give them a fresh start and a chance to do that when elected. Taking concrete measurable first step -- as in holding public hearings, for example -- is an indication he/she is moving to the right direction, more than ever.

Words can be certainly meaningless if no measurable action follows, but you can bet all public eyes are going to be on them to see if they fulfill their campaign promises. I don't know why you insist on being obtuse (I can understand you being cynical), there is either going to be public hearing or there is no -- there is not something in between.

#50 wnes, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  11. tie22fighter

OldManBernie,

You have legitimate concern. But seriously, if you judge the response in this thread, do you honestly think 80/20 can get anything done by asking more?

80/20 was founded by Dr. S.B. Woo. He was the Lieutenant Governor of Delaware. He was one of the "good old boy network".
    http://www.80-20initiative.net/about/bio_woo_sb.asp

I agree with his strategy of going one step at a time.

There were so many Asian American clubs that came and gone. None of them can even get a baby step started.

At least 80/20 is able to get all the National Democratic candidates (except Obama and Kucinich) sign its letter.

12. joliver325

joliver325 Member

Honestly start looking at the racial makeup of AMerica and you will locate the percentage of minorities Asians make up compared to Hispanics and Blacks is pretty small so translate that to the industry and you will recieve the same.. Hell its still disproportionate for minorities as a whole when compared to Whites so now you are even more disproportionate. But I bet Asian Americans have a better proportion of the economic pie than Blacks and Hispanics.

Now I'm sure most politicians have taken care of their own race first and foremost. Bushes, Reagan, pick your choice. Now I'm not inclined to think Obama would do more for blacks based on his history of not really ever being around the black culture until after college. As a politician trying to get votes I'm not surprised of him taking advantage of getting support from one of his own races. but to me that doesnt translate because he never has shown himself to be involved in racial affairs. Example. The Jena 6. Hillary was more involved in that than Obama.

Truthfully I bet if we look at who gets bashed the most on this forum you'll find Obama running a close second to BUSH. And we no more about the other candidates than him. WHy is that?

13. Major

Major Member

If your goal is someone who is willing to listen, why so dismissive of Obama?

The Obama campaign is proud of its efforts to reach out and engage the Asian American community by providing an official statement to the Asian American Action Fund (AAA Fund), participating in the Iowa Heartland Presidential Forum, creating an Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) National Leadership Council of key AAPI activists around the country to advise the campaign on AAPI outreach, and sending top campaign surrogates to appear at candidate forums sponsored by Asian Pacific Americans for Progress (APAP) and the AAA Fund. The Obama campaign is also the only major campaign to have a campaign-sponsored Asian Americans outreach webpage linked off of its main website. The Obama campaign is also proud of its endorsement by the AAA Fund of Greater Chicago.

What is Hillary's track record, besides saying "yes" to a series of vague promises?

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As an Asian-America I want Obama to pledge to do something about the crappy officiating on Yao.

Seriously though this strikes me as a political stunt by 80-20 with little meaning. As OldManBernie notes there's not much meat there to it. The other problem with this is that Asians have frequently complained about racial set asides as limiting our access to higher education so now we are asking for more racial set asides for us? :confused:

I believe there is discrimination against Asians but I don't think that it helps us to push for set asides or government intervention specifically to help us. Reducing discrimination for all groups is better.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

16. tie22fighter

There are two issues you brought out and I will address each separately.

1. This letter has little meat. I agree. Now, how about you come out with a letter with more meat in it and get Mr. Obama and all the Republican candidates to sign it. I will be all yours. ;)

2. Asian American shouldn't fight for it. I applaud the civil right struggle by the African American and Hispanic American.

You fight for your right. That is the American way. This is why America is so great!

Why does civil right struggle for Asian American have to negate the progress of other minority?

Where does 80-20 said that they want quota? Whenever there are quota, Asian American get screwed. Whenever qualification gets reduced, Asian American get screwed.

If you won't even fight for your own right, how can you expect others to fight it for you.

Hope you can come around, 80-20 is really doing a great thing! :)

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

His father wasn't an immigrant to the US. He returned to Kenya after his studies.

18. tie22fighter

Thanks for the correction, didn't realize his father went back to Kenya.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The letter definitely seems like set up. It appears that the 80-20 group reworded the pledge to be signed for the other groups, but wouldn't reword the pledge for Obama's campaign. Their website also showed that they were already not neutral as far as the candidates went.

20. tie22fighter

Yes, there is a vast left wing conspiracy. Chris Dodd, Joe Biden, Mike Gravel, Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, and Bill Richardson got together all the way back in June 2007 and want to gang up on the poor Mr. Obama. :rolleyes:

The link to who had signed, when they signed it, and who haven't signed it.
    http://www.80-20initiative.net/news/preselect2008.asp