1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elton Brand

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dischead, Feb 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. dischead

dischead Member

Elton Brand is having a stand out season, would you consider him better than Tim Duncan?

2. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

No. I really like Brand, but the argument can be made that Duncan is the best big man playing-and I despise the Spurs.

3. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I don't consider Brand better than Duncan yet. If the Clippers make it and Brand plays like a monster in the playoffs, then we can have a discussion. If Brand plays like a monster next season and Duncan starts to slide, then we can have a serious discussion.

4. lalala902102001

Brand is having a better season than Duncan is. Actually one can argue he's having the best season among all big men in the NBA. He's No. 1 in efficiency ranking in the league. However, I don't think that Brand is a better player than Duncan. He has never made the playoffs in his career and has not proven that he can be a winner. That is the biggest knock on him.

BTW Brand for Chandler looks like the most lopsided trade in recent memory now.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This year, possibly.

Any other year, no way.

6. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

he's having a better season than duncan, and has had an excellent career averaging over 20 & 10 for his entire career. but he still isn't better than TD. i still think brand has been one of the most underrated players in recent history. he's awesome.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

it is called. .. THE CASSELL EFFECT

See Van Horn

Rocket River

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Statistically, Brand has been better this season WITHOUT Cassell on the court versus with him on the court. See here for the details:

Overall
    25.5 points/40min
    7.8 free throw attempts/40min
    10.5 rebounds/40min
    2.8 assists/40min
    2.7 blocks/40min
    0.9 steals/40min
    2.1 turnovers/40min
    52.9 FG%

With Sam
    24.7 points/40min
    7.3 free throw attempts/40min
    10.3 rebounds/40min
    2.7 assists/40min
    2.6 blocks/40min
    1.0 steals/40min
    2.0 to/40min
    52.3 FG%

This season I think he has been better than Duncan, overall. If Maggette was healthy throughout the season, I believe the Clippers would have had one of the top 4 records in the West and people would be considering Brand as a leading MVP candidate.

Both are excellent "2-way" players, but Brand is better offensively this season while I still consider Duncan the better defensive player. Actually, Duncan might be the best defensive player to have never been named Defensive Player of the Year (since 1983, of course).

#8 durvasa, Feb 11, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  9. A-Mac

A-Mac Member

They do have one of the top 4 records in the West.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You're correct. Then, I think they would have had a top-3 record (ahead of Phoenix), and be sitting with the 2-seed in the playoffs right now.

11. surrender

surrender Member

Then again, if Phoenix had Amare healthy they'd probably have a record as good as SA and Dallas.

12. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

funny how each has 2 guards as sidekicks.

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I actually don't think Duncan is good, well not this season...

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

There is a reason that the Spurs have the best record in the West, and it isn't that they have a bunch of overrated Euro guards.