1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elephant vs. Donkey

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by joliver325, Aug 20, 2008.

1. joliver325

joliver325 Member

Why do I sense a genuine disdain, dislike, hate amongst the two parties?

Why do people take so much pride in a political parties especially when they don't normally meet that person's view points?

Why is political affiliation such a polarizing subject?

I literally is almost as taboo of an issue as talking about race or religion?

Why are people so gung ho about their party affiliations especially when both sides have made huge mistakes and injustices with our country?

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

It's advantageous for the parties to split people into groups and cause derision between them....they would not exist without it. It causes people to approach the issues on an emotional level rendering them intellectually impotent, therefore blindly voting for whoever the political puppet of the week is.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Serious suggestion:

Love him or hate him, read the first chapter of Obama's book, The Audacity of Hope. It's all about the relations of the two political parties, and it's very thoughtful.

One of many examples:
    "What's troubling is the gap between the magnitude of our challenges and the smallness of our politics - the ease with which we are distracted by the petty and trivial, our chronic avoidance of tough decisions, our seeming inability to build a working consensus to tackle any big problem."

But the chapter isn't just about "hey, let's do better." He pretty much nails the sources of the problems without laying blame at the feet of one party.

4. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great questions.....does not make sense........why we can't have civilized arguments/disagreements that lead to some type of compromise that could make this country great amazes me. Both sides are just as bad, heck its fairly evident just here in this BBS forum.

I would love for us to either have a third party of significance or do away with classifying republican/democrat and make people vote on the issues and person and not the party. Seriously, I am not saying that any one of these is really the answer, but something needs to be done to stop the mudslinging (especially from the radicals on each side).

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Competition.

I've been trying formulate some general philosophy that basically decries competition as the devil. But so far it seems like it is neutral, and people are to blame for the faults and benefits derived from competition.

Basically, people are both amazing and horrible.

6. joliver325

joliver325 Member

Its disturbing to me but people literally go at each other when it comes to knowing someone is Republican or Democratic. Its somewhat engrained in my head that Republicans don't care about the poor and its all wealthy people. Of course that's a wrong assumption and stereotype but just think of how many people have misconceptions just like that.

7. Major

Major Member

It's human nature. It's no different than cliques in junior high, gangs, fans of sports teams, national pride, etc. Once you join a group, the members are your people, and non-members are not your people. And members of rival groups are your "enemies". Its no different with politics, unfortunately.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

People are sheep. They have to go with the crowd, regardless if they feel different. Most are afraid to go against the social trend and stand up for what they truly believe. We are afraid the government will take away our freedom and rights, but we turn around and let our peers steal it away.