1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Election Reforms to Consider?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Nov 1, 2004.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Perhaps there will be some good to come of this Presidential election since the wrong man is bound to be elected.

Perhaps our newly convened Congress will consider legislation to end voter fraud by creating uniform voter registration laws for the entire nation. For example, in Texas you don’t have to prove you are a citizen to vote, you just have to have a valid Texas driver’s license and one other form of identification. In some states like Pennsylvania, registration is even easier.

We need to have a national registry on a supercomputer that compiles every citizen who is or will be eligible to vote in an upcoming election. A list of ineligible voters (felons, people who have died, etc.) can be fed into the supercomputer on a daily basis so they can be purged from the active rolls.

The one-time validation process would be a one-time process and shouldn’t take long. To be validated by the supercomputer, one would have to submit his or her birth certificate, photo identification, signature and handwriting sample, thumbprint and a few questions about the family tree. The input could be done at local banks or at law enforcement branch offices.

Registration should be mandatory for every person who will be 21 years or older at the time of the next election. Not registering would carry a $100 per day fine for every day past due on his or her eligibility date. Pretend it’s the new draft without any marching orders.

When the person appears at the polls to vote, the supercomputer could call up the photo identification, take a picture, and run photo and signature scans to match the potential voter with file data. If no match occurred, the potential voter would be flagged for query on potential voting fraud.

Voter fraud should carry stiff fines (perhaps $10,000 per infraction) and lifetime loss of voting privileges, exclusion from any and all political parties, and exclusion from working in any candidate’s behalf. Political parties would be outlawed from trying to register voters since, by law, that would be a citizen’s responsibility.

On election days, voters would have to vote for a candidate or in the “none of the above” category for each race. The penalty for not voting would be an additional property assessment of 1% on their property tax or income tax (whichever is greater) that would be assigned to the national treasury.

As a corollary, after winnowing out primaries, campaigns by the two largest parties (those two parties with the most votes) could not start their campaigns until 90 days prior to the election. Candidates would be restricted to telling voters what they have done and what they would do if elected. They would not be allowed to talk about what their opposition has done or has not done. Finite advertising time and dollars would be paid by the government on an equal basis, although the campaigns could pick the media placement and times for each medium.

Any news and/or advertising medium using public airwaves (radio, television and internet) would be required to accept the government-set fees for advertising, Loss of commercial licensing would be the penalty for blatant fairness improprieties by their news organizations. The Supreme Court of the United States would rule on accusations. (CBS might think twice about its non-factual stories.)

On the other hand, no candidate who currently holds a public office could run without first resigning that office. That includes presidents, vice presidents, senators, representatives, governors, cabinet members, etc. Since the nation could not ask a sitting president to abandon his or her office to run again, extending the Presidency to one six-year term would be necessary. However, he or she would receive unlimited line-item veto power in his or her final two years to prevent “lame duckness.”

Obviously, there are holes in these premises but, in order to prevent an army of attorneys from deciding elections, these suggestions might be a start toward REAL election reform and the abolition of the electoral college.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The Motor Voter bill could barely get through. What makes you think a national database of every person, whether they can vote or not and where they live will have any success?

The far right and far left paranoid anti-government conspiracy theorists will have a field day with this one. Could implanted chips be next? Is it the mark of the beast? :)

But, seriously, no way something like the above gets written into law. There are way too many people who fear what could happen with a list like that.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Sadly, your observations probably are correct. However, as I said in my final graph, there are many holes in my suggested approach, but solutions must be found. All I offer are some starting points to consider.

4. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I think mandatory voting isn't the answer. One of the freedoms in America is the freedom to be apathetic. What you'd wind up with is 40% of the voters being uninformed and those uninformed voters would have a huge impact on the election.

5. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I think if the winner is contraversial, there will be reform only if the loser's party controls congress.

6. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

Voter qualifications are decided by the states. It's in the Constitution. To make federal uniform qualifications (which I am in favor of) you would need to amend the Constitution, which is not going to happen. No way 38 states favor giving up that power.
    But if elections are to be reformed, I think the electoral college is a much bigger problem than inconsistencies in registrations...

By the way, not a single state allows noncitizens to vote in federal elections, although they do have the power to, and many did in the past.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

They had a religious-based movie on this...Yikes! :eek:

8. Buck Turgidson

- Publicly financed federal elections
    - End straight ticket voting
    - End the election of judges
    - Make Nov. 2 a national holiday

9. Buck Turgidson

and...

- ditch the electoral college

10. outlaw

outlaw Member

well nov 2 isn't always on a tuesday.
    maybe move election day to the first saturday or sunday of novmeber?

11. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, should've said "election day" instead.

12. montevideo

montevideo Contributing Member

I think we should tighten things up a bit more. Showing your property title would be a solid next step.

13. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think they should move election day to a Saturday - having it during the standard work week makes it very difficult, especially if there is a large turnout and also if you happen to work far outside of your voting district.

I suppose they could make Election Tuesday a holiday, but then you would have a bunch of people take Monday off and go on a vacation. They'd then complain that they couldn't vote because they were away.

14. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

So Crass...LOVE IT! That would be a big-hit in Bammy and Miss-a-sip'....:D

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

As someone who works on a data warehouse of a huge size, I can tell you a registry like this is only as good as the data fed into it.

There would still be lots of room to have bad data. Even if you could be 97-99% correct (which is good for data warehousing of this magnitude) it still leaves 1-3% data corrupted...which is enough to cause problems in elections.

The logistics of such a project would only create new issues, instead of solving old ones.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think a national holiday in which everyone shut down would be great. First Tuesday of every year ... Call it Super Tuesday.

I have a better idea than redoing the election process ...

Provide better caniditates.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

This proves that election college definately needs to go. I voted for Kerry but I say count just the popular vote.

Mark

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Elections are always the 1st tuesday in November

Rocket River

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Based on what? Bush is also leading the popular vote so how exactly is the wrong man being elected.