1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Egyptians resist Morsi; US-supported military to step in on Morsi's side

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Jun 23, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

CNN reporting now as well that a coup appears to be under way.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There is a military coup in progress. The military has announced the suspension of the constitution, and a "council" assumes "presidential duties" until elections at some future date. Anti-Morsi crowds cheering wildly.

Morsi is out.

3. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Obama is going to send in the troops right after he imposes sharia law over here

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Congrats to Mohamed Morsi on his new faculty job at Columbia U</p>&mdash; David Burge (@iowahawkblog) <a href="https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/352504868314955777" data-datetime="2013-07-03T14:11:24+00:00">July 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Major

Major Member

Interesting stuff:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2013/07/announcement_coming.php?ref=fpblg

Announcement Coming

According to Reuters and Egypt’s state news agency, we are to hear an announcement within the hour on the post-Morsi ‘roadmap’ for Egypt to be presented by one-time UN diplomat and now opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei, the Grand Sheikh of Al-Azhar and Pope Tawadros, head of the Coptic Church. Various generals and opposition figures are also, reportedly, to be on hand.

The emphasis on sectarian unity is unmistakable. Al-Azhar began as a madrasa more than 1000 years ago and now is a combination mosque, madrasa and university. The key point is that it is widely considered to be the most authoritative/revered home of religious scholarship in Sunni Islam. The Copts, who’ve been under siege for the last two years, also get high billing.

As we’ve seen over the last few days, while this is by many definitions undoubtedly a military coup of some sort, it’s not the traditional type. And most notably, Morsi’s rule seems not so much to have been toppled by main force as simply crumbled from within. He and his advisors already this morning seemed to be in control of virtually none of the state structure. Not the Army, the Interior Ministry, state media or much of anything else.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That was actually funny.

8. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Strengthens my effort to understand Islam.

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

awkardly, there's a law that forbids sending US aid to governments that have come to power via a coup.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Pretty sure we gave money to Musharraf in Pakistan without any qualms and that was a total military takeover of government. I wouldn't be too worried about suspending aid to Egypt.

11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Ah, yes we obey the law and all that.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad that the military had El Baradei and representatives for both the Copts and Islam but this situation is far from over. Millions of Muslim Brotherhood supporters are not backing down and even then how long and how likely will it be until the military actually does hand over power to a civilian led government?

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also we should probably lock this thread and start a new one given how wrong this thread title was.

14. Major

Major Member

This thing will probably get uglier before it gets better, but if there had to be a coup, this is being handled as well as you could reasonably hope for so far. One general was apparently on TV and said no one will be arrested and Morsi will be welcome to run again in the next election - I think that will be important for getting the Muslim Brotherhood to calm down after this initial period (as opposed to arresting him or whatnot).

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/former-egyptian-general-morsi-welcome-to-run-for

Again, things could certainly change, but if we were drawing up the best possible way to do a military coup that somehow enables democracy, this is probably exactly what we'd have come up with *so far*.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What Exactly was this guy doing wrong?
    Was he 'elected'? I have not paid much attention to it all

Rocket River

16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

You mean to tell me this didn't turn out the way Mathloomdamus foresaw?

17. Major

Major Member

He was legitimately elected, and then he basically did a power grab, and then took away the power of the courts to challenge his actions and things of that sort. I don't know enough about their Constitution to know if he technically violated it, but he certainly did in principle.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Rest assured, anything that will go wrong in the future in the Egypt will be America's (and the Jews') fault in Mathloon's bizzarro world.

My congratulations to the Egyptian people. The path won't be easy, but they have shown a lot of democratic spirit and resilience.

Hamed Abdel-Samad (a German citizen of Egyptian origin who spoke out against Islamo-Fascists and was then threatened to be murdered in a "fatwa" by an Islamist hate preacher, after which the German foreign minister demanded from Morsi that he guarantees Abdel-Samad's safety, which was ignored, instead Morsi hugged and kissed said hate preacher publicly) just wrote this on Facebook:

Bravo!

P.S.: I would like to applaud the posts even of posters I don't usually agree with all that much, like Major, on this thread. Great posts.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks.
    Interesting drama to view from afar

Will read more before I garner an opinion on it.
    I would hate to commit troops to yet another region
    seems like we might be stretching thin

Rocket River

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Happy to be wrong. It's still a corrupt military supported directly by American citizens and it still exercises undue influence in its own or your interest. The fact that those interests overlapped with those of the Egyptian people once doesn't change any of those things. The fact that the US directly pays and influences the institution which selects leadership in Egypt is factual and not up for debate. You can't wash your hands of that guilt or responsibility as long as you support a system that jots out colonial-minded candidates as consistently as the Egyptian system will jot out colonization-tolerant leaders.

The problem remains that the US won't remove its claws from Egypt, which will yet again be apparent at the next elections, just like it was when Morsi was elected.

But Morsi had to go and I'm glad that, at least, we can agree with that.