1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Egypt: Supreme Council of Armed Forces takes control before Muslim brotherhood wins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's bad news regarding the MB winning, and regarding the Council's treasonous actions, but luckily we have avoided the bad news of Shafiq winning the election.

Why would the ruling military council do this after the people and the milirary sacrificed so much in pursuit of self-determination?

Keep in mind a key fact not mentioned in this story: the financially poorest individuals and the most politically powerful institution in Egypt, the military, receives $1.5bln worth of "aid" funding annually (or 25%) towards their budget coming from another country. It is envisioned that this income would dissapear if the leadership was unwilling to uphold its side of a truce with Israel which was signed by the treasonous bribed criminal Hosni Mubarak, former illegitimate and corrupt leader of Egypt through the use of forceful power of the military. To my knowledge, no one has discussed the possibility that tearing up the old truce precludes drafting a new one. I think it would make sense to revise it. The US aid to both countries should be eliminated IMO in favor of a deal both sides are willing to sign without financial incentives, or with extremely stringent controls regarding the use of the aid money.

While some people were right that the Egyptian people would elect an Islamic figure to the presidency, they were more crucially extremely wrong about Islamic candidates coming to power or being given the role of leader of the country. The SCAF has done exactly what those critics hoped (only in the case of a Muslim being elected, not in the case of the criminal Shafik lol) by slowly but surely reducing Egyptian right to self-determination.

Given a choice by the SCAF between (1) the still-standing Hosni Mubarak regime OR (2) the previously banned Muslim Brotherhood now controlled by Mubarak's regime, the people of Egypt barely chose the Muslim Brotherhood, and ultimately a huge number of Egyptians boycotted the elections.

Thoughts?

#1 Mathloom, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you saying it is bad news that they won or it is bad news that they are not immediately grabbing the power?

Do you expect the Muslim Brotherhood not to uphold the truce? Does that mean you expect them to wage war?

Are you saying that the leader of the Islamist "Muslim Brotherhood" (which is the ideological breeding ground for many terrorists worldwide) is a "true Muslim" whereas someone who does not belong to that Islamist organization is not?

1 person likes this.
  3. da1

da1 Member

I find this hilarious.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why did the people in the middle east want with the Arab spring? I bet the most important thing on their mind at the time was to be better off than they were under the old dictatorships. Are they any closer to achieving that goal?

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Do people really need a reason to riot? They are pissed off and want to break *****.

6. Major

Major Member

Probably so - fake elections are better than no elections at all. I think the mistake people make is thinking that an Arab Spring meant everything would be great in a year. Revolutions are complicated and ugly things. Anyone can just look at the US revolution and see the fits and starts, the failed decisions (Articles of Confederation?), the defaulting on debt, desertion of troops, etc.

This was not something that changed the Arab world overnight - it's something that will (or hopefully will) happen over years and decades. It will go through periods of chaos and corruption. Maybe it will backslide, maybe it won't. That's how revolution works.

7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Robert Fisk: Mubarak's 300,000-strong army of thugs remains in business despite elections

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bummer.

DD

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

At least Shafiq didnt win. Having a revolution like that and then electing Mubarak 2.0 would be so terrible.

10. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

I'n not very well-versed on the Egyptian election situation but multiple friends of mine seem pretty happy Morsy was elected and they have hope for a prosperous Egypt in the future. I have no comment on it since I'm not knowledgeable on this situation but I'll ask them what makes them optimistic since MB doesn't have the cleanest of track records.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Doesn't matter. Tantawi is the ruler either way.

Similar to Iran's structure where the world focuses their attention on Ahmedinejjad although he is a nobody.

Similarly, the media will bash Mursi and his Islamic background, although he is almost a nobody just days before his election.

The SCAF is essentially daring him to resign, after his party was banned for decades and they actually won. lol I don't think Mursi or the MB are in it for the same reason the revolutionaries are in it, so no chance on a resignation.

#11 Mathloom, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'm going to disagree.

I think it does matter, at least at some level. Much the same way people aggrandize the Muslim Brotherhood's political agenda, there are those who are going to take the actions of the SCAF and blow them out of proportion. In the long run, the SCAF is not a legislative solution; it is a military apparatus incapable of solving the bulk of the problems facing the Egyptian people, including the range of economic and social problems facing the nation.

Additionally, the inception of free elections in a country that's never had it before means something; It is not going to be the political ideal from day one, but I'd give it some time. I dont think the Egyptian people will accept a blatant militarization of its political apparatus (you're already seeing the outcries and calls for protests), and if the military is smart they'll see that and seek compromised positions that assuage some of the concerns of the masses while still retaining some level of political involvement. Over time that role is bound to shift more and more towards civilian rule, and depending on how things go, that could be sooner rather than later. Just my opinion....

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It takes an implicit cultural faith to believe in democratic processes and also a peaceful transfer of power. That's something bombs and occupation can't provide.

Freedom does not imply immediate stability or prosperity. Especially with a politically rebooted nation like Egypt, it's going to take time and a lot of support. A lot of things outside of Egypt's control has to go its way as well.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Agree to disagree. While I agree that they are not competent enough to solve Egyptian problems, I still believe they will maintain final say over critical matters, and you don't need to know politics or economics to do that, you just need someone who knows how to determine whether each move will generate more or less money for the military.

I would agree with you if I thought this was the last action the SCAF will take to consolidate power or if I believed they would hand the country over to the people. I have said this since early last year, the SCAF will not leave until Israel gives America the green light, and from reading any Israeli newspaper over the last few months you can see that they are blatantly opposed to the dissolution of the SCAF.

If the SCAF transfers power to the MB without brutally repressing protestors, I'll donate $100 to the tip jar and eat some crow as it would be a truly historic and rare occasion. I would be shocked out of my mind honestly.

I don't think Egyptians will accept it either, and there are already protests taking place and larger ones being planned. I don't think it will matter.

There is a clear attempt by the media to not show Tantawi as the real ruler of Egypt, and I imagine this is to reduce pressure on him as well as to give him a Khamenei-type role going forward where the people are essentially allowed to elect the face that absorbs international pressure while big man takes it easy in the background.

15. DaDakota

Keeping religion out of government should be the top priority for the rest of the world.

DD

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Nice.

17. DaDakota

Yep, the Western secular governments should make it their top priority to keep religion out of any countries government.

It is in OUR best interests..as well as the people of those countries who may or may not know better because of their ignorance and lack of differing opinions....or being sheltered by their religious..leadership....

DD

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Have you ever been outside this country?

19. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Or accurately following all of the principles instead of nitpicking and creating the mess we have today. Sadly, neither will happen.

20. DaDakota

Sure, but that is irrelevent, it is a culture clash we have going on here. As the world shrinks due to the internet and population growth, there are people afraid of losing their power base - and are fighting back by spreading their ignorance and sheltering their people.

That never works, information will get out, people will think for themselves and religions will fail - history always repeats you know.

So, it is pretty clear that countries that are run by theocracies are a problem for the majority of the world, so the rest of the world should do everything in their power to help free those people and let them find out what true freedom is all about.

DD