1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Edited Title: Is Yao's Cultural Impact overstated?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Oct 7, 2019.

?

Yao's reputation

Poll closed Oct 8, 2019.
  1. Fickle

29 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Forever our legend.

74 vote(s)
    71.8%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yeah, you jumped out of the conversation when you realized it wasn't going your way so you tried to reply publicly where you thought you'd get help from others. You also ignored my argument completely. Very Chinese government of you. That's back stabbing somebody to have two conversations like that. Classic back stab.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No I didn’t I just was reading the thread
    What was not going my way? You believing in what you believe in? I accepted it

what do you want me to take your stance ? No
    I believe what Yao did do was right

you want me to conclude the private chat by saying ‘ I conclude’?

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

How the heck was it concluded when you continued the same subject in a direct response to me in a public thread?

Yeah, you're right nevermind... ghosting a conversation and starting it again in public is proper.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

The private conversation was just telling personal experiences
    But I guess you don’t appreciate that and that your experiences trump all
    My bad
    You should run for office then
    If you are person you say you are then I’ll vote for you
    But I’m not changing my mind on Yao cause I believe my stance on it

5. MultipleSauces

Honestly we shouldn’t be mad at yao. We shouldn’t be mad at Morey , or Tillman. We shouldn’t even be mad at China . We should be mad at Jeremy Lin . How dare he win a ring for Canada ?! First the raptors get Hakeem and then they win a championship before us ? Unacceptable . Down with Canada !

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yao is a Chinese citizen before he is a Houstonian or a Rocket.

He will always choose China over us.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

And that is fine if that is his stance. So with this in mind, is his impact culturally nothing but financial gain? If his cultural impact is nothing but money for the two parties, isn't his legacy a bit skewed? He was hailed as the guy who opened up China to the USA. He was the guy who turned the NBA into China's game! In reality he was a nice distraction for China and a nice paycheck for the NBA.

8. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

A little bit of both as you said his on court performance was too brief but off the court was what really made the cultural impact. Granted as time goes by, it definitely fades.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

your change of title is less controversial than the original .
    this thing spiraled down to should Yao do something or else he's a coward line

but according to the updated topic, the only cultural exchange was the better basketball and the basketball culture
    if you were there for invasion of all the Yao fans, a good portion left when he retired, but we did have some stay and become real team fans,.
    but as far as knowing American culture vs Chinese culture, I don't think very much was exchanged. especially the china perspective.

10. iXnal

iXnal Member

I'm sorry to tell you that although CBA is a nongovernmental organization, but the chief must be appointed and nominated by a government unit called "National Sports General Bureau". So you should know that sometimes he is not that powerful or impactful like we thought, and as the most famous basketball player Yao do carry a lot of expectations to improve the entire Chinese basketball level. So what he can only do is temporarily (but must immediately) canceling the corporation with Rocket and just letting the time flew by. That's the Chinese called wisdom.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The irony in this is that some Chinese posters have compared him to American icons like Jackie Robinson. Of course the difference being that when the time came for Yao to use his fame and influence to carry his country forward he flaked out. Men like Jackie Robinson, Jesse Owens, Bill Russell, Jim Brown, and Mohammed Ali stood up while Yao quietly took his seat on the back of the bus.

12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Yao ming is not a hall of famer. He is a unicorn! Yao ming made the team and he was a global ambassador! Did yao win a playoff series more than once.

#92 smoothie_king, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  13. mikeshinoda

mikeshinoda Member

See how biased you guys are when it comes to Yao. Everything he did against your belief must be that he’s afraid of Chinese govt or that’s how Communist controls him, hmm... Your media really did a wonderful job painting the Evil China. Hats off..,

Never for a second have any of you thought Yao actually from the bottom of his heart believe China has done nothing wrong and US has done nothing wrong either. It’s normal to me that Yao would understand both yours and China’s standpoint.

It seems to you that only the US Democracy is the correct thing. China’s way is evil.

For us, we embrace the US style Democracy as much as we embrace China style 21st century Communism bcuz it works for us and that works for you. We definitely joke around North Korea style communist or India style Democracy. That’s our mentality. It’s not just black or white.

None of you guys would understand. Sigh.

#93 mikeshinoda, Oct 7, 2019
    HP3 likes this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I see OP is changing thread title and moving the goalposts

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'll never understand how seemingly an entire country can get so butthurt from one dude's personal tweet.

16. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Time to yank down that Yao jersey from the rafters of Toyota center.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

YOU SEE ME CHANGING THE TITLE IN A TITLE WHERE I LITERALLY WROTE EDITED TITLE?

GET THIS MAN TO SCOTLAND YARDS.

It was misconstrued so I re-worded it. No Goal-Posts. Yao is overrated due to his impact and his impact is overrated so it's reasonable to re-evaluate his tenure.

Yao would not be in the HOF if he were from a player from Seattle drafted from Duke. Yao would not be mentioned as a top 5 all time Rocket if he were from New York drafted out of North Carolina. His valuation mostly stems from the fact that he was viewed as a bridge between countries which is nothing but a sweet story to tell the fans when it's all based on consumerism.

#97 treyk3, Oct 7, 2019
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

See, that's is an NBA player who deserves to be mentioned as an all time great. Nothing about his story changes the fact that he was a dominant force for over a decade and brought a city their first two major sports championships.

20. mikeshinoda

mikeshinoda Member

First of all, the Rockets is basically our Home Team in China. It arguably has the biggest sports fan base in China. You guys just can’t feel it. We hv literally thousands of comments in every single rockets post-game analysis compared to here. Morey was even our Hero. We respected him.
    So, Morey is never a random person to us. Rockets is never a random team to us.

Secondly, we are not a random country either. It’s China and we are sensitive to anything that could relate to our separations. We carefully evolve ourselves while we don’t deny the problems we hv. We don’t want to be finger pointed. We just want to go forward our way. And we did fine. Not based on ur standard though.

So Morey basically out of nowhere, pointed fingers at us (indirectly) over probably the most sensitive topic in China, w/o even knowing what really has happened.

That’s too much.