1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddy Curry

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mathloom, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I was reading how Miami wants Eddy Curry to lose another 40lbs before they sign him. Reason being he has such a great "touch".

Is a great "touch" really all that impressive? Is it really that hard to find a tall guy with great touch? I bet the Euro league is littered with players like this.

Curry can't rebound, block shots, defend, doesn't have range out to the 3 and has shown a poor work ethic.

Why the insistance on hiring him?

Maybe they think Wade and Lebron's work ethic will rub off on him. As of now, I think a Chris Bosh and Eddy Curry (- 40lbs) combo up front sounds like the softest front line in the history of the game.

I guess I would understand if the Heat had a PF who swallowed rebounds, blocked shots and played excellent defense but couldn't score at the 4 spot. But they have Haslem and Bosh.

Just seems strange to me. IMO the guy doesn't care about basketball if he weighs 330lbs right now and has not been able to get into good enough shape to be signed to the minimum.

If I were Pat Riley, I would sign him to a 2-yr non-guaranteed deal only after he loses those 40lbs. But it certainly wouldn't be making the headlines and wouldn't be taking up any of my time. IMO the guy is a non-factor, and I'm confused by the media attention.

2. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

They want a Centre who can score, to change things up a bit.
    It's the intrigue factor that has Riley looking, as Curry was one of the best offensive centres in the game when he played.
    I will post a article for you, after this post.

The one player that is most likely to go the Heat, is Shane Battier, as in a recent interview he said he might sign with either the Heat or the Bulls.

"Regardless of whether James Jones re-signs (and there’s mutual interest), we hear forward Shane Battier will be very much on the Heat’s radar after the lockout. The Houston Chronicle, after interviewing Battier, said “don’t be surprised” if he signs with the Heat or Bulls. Miami Herald"

3. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/17/v-fullstory/2317476/eddy-curry-shane-battier-on-miami.html

Eddy Curry’s predicament is clear: If he loses at least 40 more pounds during the lockout, then the Heat likely will have renewed and genuine interest because Pat Riley remains highly intrigued by the 7-foot center. The question is whether he has the discipline to achieve that mighty challenge.

Curry, 28, reportedly topped 350 pounds during his late March workout for the Heat. He lost a lot more weight — in excess of 20 pounds — between that point and late June, when he auditioned again for the Heat over several days.

But he entered the lockout still at least 40 pounds overweight, according to a league official briefed on the situation. “You watch him shoot and he’s got great touch, good hands,” said a player source who was invited to Curry’s multiplayer Heat workouts in late June. “He’s very skilled. But it’s a question of whether he gets more serious. He’s got a long way to go.”

The Heat has strong interest in Samuel Dalembert, a better rebounder and defender than Curry, but Miami will be in the mix for Dalembert only if there’s a mid-level exception in the new labor deal. Regardless, the Heat again will check on Curry after the lockout, then decide whether to offer him a minimum-salary deal.

Curry, drafted fourth overall in 2001, averaged 19.5 points and 7.0 rebounds for the Knicks in 2006-07 but played in just 10 games over the past three years because of injuries. He was out of the league last season.

Other than Nene and Tyson Chandler (who will be unaffordable to the Heat), “Dalembert is the only guy on that [unrestricted] free agent center list who would be a starter for them,” TNT’s Steve Kerr said off air. Some might say Kwame Brown, too.

• According to a league official, one of the two Heat-Mavericks games is being planned for Christmas in Dallas, likely at 2:30 p.m. The schedule will be announced shortly, though labor problems could shorten the season. With Christmas on a Sunday, most NFL games will be Dec. 24 (including Dolphins at Patriots) except Bears-Packers on Christmas night.

• Regardless of whether James Jones re-signs (and there’s mutual interest), we hear forward Shane Battier will be very much on the Heat’s radar after the lockout. The Houston Chronicle, after interviewing Battier, said “don’t be surprised” if he signs with the Heat or Bulls.

The Heat long has admired Battier and fellow free agents Tayshaun Prince and Grant Hill, but the question is if any will take less money to sign here. Hill told The Arizona Republic “it would be nice” to re-sign with Phoenix. Detroit wants to keep Prince.

Of those three, “Battier would be the best fit — when you play Dwyane Wade or LeBron James at the point, you want a three-man who can shoot,” said Kerr, who likes Jones in that role. Battier made 102 three-pointers last season (38.2 percent), compared with 45 for Hill (39.5 percent) and 34 for Prince (34.7 percent). If the Heat signs Battier, Prince or Hill, it could create playing time by having Wade or James assume more ball-handling duties when Mario Chalmers is out of the game.

• Although a veteran backup point guard likely will be added, the Heat has grown comfortable with the idea of Chalmers starting. … The Heat imposed some 10 percent employee pay cuts but no layoffs since the lockout started. … Udonis Haslem recently needed another foot operation to remove a screw — nothing unexpected — but is expected to be fine for the season. ... Wade had Lasik eye surgery Friday.

4. tofu--

tofu-- Member

If Battier goes to the Heat I'll puke.

5. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Whats wrong with that?

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's okay. Battier deserves to win a ring before he goes out. Plus he will counter the douchebaggery of Lebron

7. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

With a shortened season, players will not mind taking bigger paycuts to join a contender, and older players who's last chance to get a ring, will be willing to take bigger paycuts as well.

8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Come on, I am the one that really belives in Eddy. He was once a great center in the NBA. He is big and he can score. Once he looses 40 pounds (won't be easy) he can still play IMO and really help the Heat. Being out of the NBA for the last 2-3 years hurts but he knows this game.

And remember, the guy is ONLY 28!

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Even if he can put up 20ppg. He doesn't get fouled enough, he doesn't rebound, he doesn't block shots, he doesn't play defense. IMO he's a dime a dozen, and that's after losing 40lbs.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

NBA Lockout brings you...

The Eddy Curry Weight Watch

Tim Grover the unofficial reclamation project trainer. Kinda like the John Lucas of physical health recovery.

Curry's best attribute is he puts the ball through the hoop at a high %. He's a top 5-10 field goal % kinda guy. Not much else, doesn't rebound or play D.

Kinda like a fat Carl Landry.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

At 290lbs, and a clause in his contract to stay below 300lbs, I would say he's worth a one year partially guaranteed minimum.

On the other hand, if Grover works with him till January, he may actually be a decent rotation player.

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'll admit, I'm not really a fan of Curry. I don't think he has a great impact but there's a big difference between having touch on the inside having the ability to get high percentage buckets and being a big with a good mid-range jumper like comparably priced euro bigs.

Inside scoring is not a dime a dozen. If Curry can do that and be average at everything else he's a steal for the vet's min.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Two reasons make it very simple. Miami has

1. No youngsters to develop
    2. No money to spend

Pat Riley, who is worthy of all the accolades he gets for pulling off the biggest coup in NBA history, has never shown much of an ability to find and develop players. He love his veterans even more than JVG, and really has no patience in general. Ideally, the Heat is much better served trying to find someone like Chuck Hayes, who can grow with the big 3 and be a solid garbageman that the Heat really need. But that's never been Riley's MO. Hence retreads like Bibby, Dampier, and now Curry.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not a fan of Curry at all, but he can help Miami a lot. Can he keep the weight off, get in playing shape and maintain? To be determined. But if yes, this will be their biggest offseason addition.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

low risk, high reward. the guy once averaged 19/7. if they can sign him to the min and get im back in shape (even if he gives them half of those numbers) he could be a steal.

i'm not saying i agree with this thinking, but this must be their reasoning. personally, i would bet all i could that he'll never be a rotation player in the nba again.

16. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Currently have two players in Norris Cole and Pittman they are developing.
    The reason he doesn't develop too many young players, as he believes veterans will give him more value, and play there roles, better then some young player who is prone to complaining about player time and being unprofessional.
    Also, when you are fighting for a c/ship, you don't have time to develop and wait for players, you need players who can come in and produce from day one.

The Heat don't need a lot of upgrades as they were only 2 games away from winning with a injured Haslem, Miller and Jones.

Also, if the lockout goes into the season, more teams will go with veterans, as rookies will have missed out on training with the team/coaches, which makes a big difference.

The Heat has the same amount off money to spend as a lot of teams do right now, due to a lot of teams being over the cap.

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Wow he lost 28 pounds. I thought he would gain another 28 pounds. Still another 12 pounds to go. I personally think his target of 260 pounds is still way too much for someone who will be so rusty after taking a 3 year break.

He needs to get under 250 to be in an sort of playing shape. Low 240s would be ideal.

18. meshflesh

meshflesh Member

260 is fine. heck, lebron is 270

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah but the truth is he will probably be around 270 and injure himself, and then blame a botched comeback on injury problems.

Maybe they have a plan to continuously work on his conditioning even after he is signed? I can't imagine he'll play heavy minutes with Anthony, Haslem and Bosh in the fold.

20. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Yao eats Curry alive.