1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin's Funeral

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smeiou78, Aug 28, 2007.

1. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Griffin remembered as family-loving kid with tender heart

SHARON HILL, Pa. -- One final, sorrowful time, an Eddie Griffin highlight reel played for family and friends.

Snapshots of Griffin as a child, as a Philadelphia prep star, smiling with his family and shaking hands on draft night with NBA commissioner David Stern seemed more appropriate for a big screen All-Star tribute than flashed on a plain white wall at a memorial service.

The photos were indicative of the way mourners at Griffin's funeral Tuesday wanted to remember him: a family-loving kid with a tender heart and congenial nature.

"His heart was bigger than his wingspan," said friend and former Seton Hall teammate Marcus Toney-El.

Sadly, for those who knew the 25-year-old former NBA player, they were powerless to stop the self-destructive demons that plagued him from high school all the way to his mysterious death two weeks ago.

Griffin died when his sport utility vehicle collided with a moving freight train near his Houston home. Griffin's body was badly burned and there was no initial identification. Dental records later revealed the man was Griffin.

"I guess heaven needed a power forward," Toney-El said.

Kevin Garnett, his former Timberwolves teammate, former Seton Hall coach Tommy Amaker and former NBA coach John Lucas were among the 200 friends, players and family members who attended the service at First African Baptist Church.

"He's a special guy to me," said Amaker, who coached Griffin in his one season at Seton Hall.

Some mourners dressed in T-shirts with Griffin's picture on the front. One wore a Houston Rockets No. 33 jersey.

Griffin's battles with alcohol, drugs and the law derailed a promising career for the former star at Philadelphia's Roman Catholic High School. He was drafted seventh overall by the New Jersey Nets in June 2001, and then traded to Houston.

Griffin's emotional issues, addictions and a short fuse that betrayed his youthful appearance, soft-spoken nature and philanthropic achievements eventually forced him out of the league.

The 6-foot-10 Griffin averaged 7.2 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.71 blocks in five NBA seasons with the Rockets and Minnesota.

The pastor, Richard R. Dent, told mourners he prayed that Griffin could find with God the peace "he could not find on this side."

"He's been given a home where no dark clouds would ever follow him again," Dent said.

Griffin's sister, Marian Middleton, told the crowd to ignore stories that portrayed Griffin as troubled or spoiled, and that indicated there was anything suspicious about his death. Middleton said Griffin was excited about spending upcoming birthdays with his nieces and nephews and would never waste those opportunities because he loved his family.

"Everything you read, throw it in the trash, like he was so unhappy and it was all planned," she said.

Toney-El remembered how Griffin told North Carolina he wouldn't commit to the school unless they were both recruited. Toney-El said that when the program had little interest in him, they became Pirates instead.

Griffin spent the summer in Houston working out with former Rockets star Calvin Murphy and was hoping for another comeback, this time playing overseas. Instead, Griffin missed an Aug. 15 morning session; two days later, at 1:30 a.m., the player's blue SUV went through a railroad crossing barrier and hit the freight train.

"Eddie is now out of his misery," Dent said. "He is now at peace and that is a good thing."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2995048

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Sad. Very sad.

3. daRox

daRox Member

I don't think they should try to sugar coat his legacy just because he died. family-loving kid? I thought he was arrested for shooting at his ex-girlfriend?

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Funerals are for the family, not the deceased. They have the right to remember the good times.

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Good thing they don't give a damn what you think.

6. zong

zong Member

He was a nice guy, he needed helps, but he did not get enough.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If you're not going to have respect for the dead, at least have respect for a greiving family. You can think whatever you want; they knew him better than you. How would you like it if strangers brought up a dead brother's past transgressions? Just let it go.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Amen.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

RIP Eddie

no one should ever die because of depression, its a terrible plague that afflicts everyone and anyone.

10. Asian Sensation

Well said.

11. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Did anyone else think this was kind of weird?

12. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Urmmm... NO

13. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

It's sad it had to end this way!
    Rest in peace,Eddie Griffin.

14. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

It's times like this that should remind us that Professional athletes are real people too and they deal with everyday problems just like us.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'll pray for his family some more. Rest In Peace, Eddie, rest in peace.

16. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

You may disagree with daRox, but there was nothing disrespectful about thinking a news article should have included a domestic violence charge in giving a balanced view of his life. It's pretty harsh to say he doesn't respect a grieving family.

Funerals are for the family, but news should still try to be balanced and accurate while showing respect for those it covers. Everyone feels bad for Eddie because he had a tough life, but daRox made a legitimate point.

17. Ender120

Well I did. It seems like one of his best friends has nothing to say about him that doesn't cheesily relate to basketball.

No "I can't tell you how the loss of Eddie saddens me" or "This guy was my best friend and I'm real hurt right now."

Just "His love knew no out-of-bounds" and "His vertical will be better now that he has wings."

It just seemed out of place with the rest of the article.

18. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

This tragedy makes us all think about our lives a little more deeply.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Because it's so easy to be eloquent when your best friend is lying in a casket next to you?

20. Ender120

I would imagine it would be hard to be eloquent having just lost your best friend.

I would imagine it would be harder to think up basketball puns.