1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin and Yao's Mean Streak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sishir Chang, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Apparrently Wolves Coach Duane Casey doesn't think Yao is too timid.

This is from the Minneapolis Startribune.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/5729351.html

Wolves update: Griffin helps Wolves, but Rockets got only trouble
    Steve Aschburner, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 15, 2005 at 9:27 PM

There's a flip side to every happy story of a player who finds himself, develops late, overcomes some personal setback or salvages his career with a second or third team. The first team still pays a price.

As happy as the Timberwolves have been over the past two seasons with their pickup of forward Eddie Griffin, the Houston Rockets were the team that gave up three players -- Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and Brandon Armstrong -- to New Jersey to acquire him on draft night in 2001. Griffin, who turned pro after one season at Seton Hall, played in 150 games for the Rockets and averaged 8.7 points before running into alcohol and legal problems in 2003. The Rockets waived him in December of that year, during Jeff Van Gundy's first season as Rockets coach.

"When something like that happens with an organization, it really sets the organization back. It set the Rockets back, certainly," Van Gundy said Tuesday. "They gave up a lot for him. For whatever reason in his own personal life, it didn't work out. And that's difficult to overcome.

"I don't think, long-term, you can make up for a person not panning out that's such a high draft pick and that you gave up so much for."

Griffin signed with New Jersey but still was having troubles, and the Nets released him before he ever played for them. Only after the Wolves signed him in 2004 did he seem ready to resume his career. He was a helpful piece last season and now, at 23, he is a solid defender and superb shot-blocker.

"He was well-intentioned. He just had some things in his life he had to get corrected," Van Gundy said. "He looks more alert, active, aware. As far as big guys coming off the bench, he's very good for them."

Casey and the refs

Wolves coach Dwane Casey and rookie Rashad McCants have moved on from his two-technical-foul outing Sunday night in Denver. But it seemed only fair to check into the coach's history of referee baiting and technicals earned.

"I've gotten thrown out of a few summer league games," Casey said.

Casey said he developed a rapport with several NBA referees when he was an assistant coach at Kentucky and they were working college games. "I don't think you ever develop a close relationship with officials, but one where you can talk to them and ask them questions," he said. "But I have a tremendous amount of respect for them. They have the toughest jobs by far."

Recalling Yao's roots

How far has Houston center Yao Ming come in his fourth NBA season? Casey's first impression of the Rockets' 7-6 big man pre-dates that, going back a few years earlier to the Asian Games when Casey was coaching the Japanese national team: Yao held a clipboard on the sidelines while his teammate, Wang Zhi-Zhi, was, in Casey's words, "the man."

"So I've watched Yao's development over the years from being on the sideline with the clipboard to where he is today," the Wolves coach said. "He's a dominant force just by size alone. Now he has a little mean streak with it. Saw him show a little emotion after a dunk he made on Alonzo Mourning. I know that's what [Rockets assistant coach] Patrick Ewing and Jeff have wanted him to do, play with that type of passion, that type of aggressiveness. To be more forceful, to be a little greedier, to be more selfish in the post in a good way."

The Timberwolves, after doing their part Sunday to help Denver's Marcus Camby earn Western Conference Player of the Week honors, will get a visit from Camby's Eastern Conference counterpart. Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas gained the weekly honors by averaging 31.0 points and 7.7 assists while shooting 54.4 percent.

STEVE ASCHBURNER

2. RocketsFAN3035

think maybe this would put an end to the "Yao is to timid for an asia person" thread?

This guy would know, he has seen Yao play alot more than any of us. Is he aggressive and emotional like Zo? No, but that's also not really Yao's game.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think Yao has played more aggressive this year. If the refs would stop calling fouls on him every time he puts his hands in the air, it would show more in his stats. Last night, when he made a bucket and got fouled, he did the "and 1" sign and pumped his fist. He had 4 fouls at the time. That was good to see.

Of course, compared to Eddie Griffin, my 90 year old Grandmother is aggressive...

4. Sishir Chang

I'm surprised no one's commented about the Eddie Griffin part of the article. I guess everyone has gotten Eddie out of their systems.

Oh well its too bad he couldn't get his act together with the Rox. :(

5. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

mmkay

But I to hear about that idiot EG to get to Yao. :mad:

6. Center

Center Contributing Member

I read here and there on this board how people sympathize with Eddie Griffin and want him to be sucessful in this league.

I hope he never gets it together and exells in the NBA.

He screwed the Rockets organization and fans big time with his personal problems.

I want Eddie to be sucessful in his personal life.

I would be happy for him.

But I would not crack a smile if that basketball waste reached any where near his potential on the court.

Here is hoping he finds success and happiness outside of basketball.

7. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Forget about Griffin, we have Swift. Last night, Swift abused Griffin on so many levels. You can tell who's the better player when they are both on the court guarding each other. All the 6'9'' Griffin could do was to shoot 3 pointers, and missing the most of them. Swift, on the other hand, did what a true power forward was supposed to do --- rebounding, blocking shots, and dunking on Eddie's ass.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't think you have anything to worry about. He'll never be any better than he is right now. He'll go down as the next Sam Perkins, except that he can't make any of the 3's he jacks up.

9. Sishir Chang

If its any consolation to you while Eddie Griffin is a decent contributor off of the bench he's no where near the star that people thought he would be.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

I like how JVG was subtle there.

Here is my own paraphrase of his comments:

"Hey Eddie. **** you for ****ing our team."

I think JVG wants EG to always remember what great losses he caused our team, and this was his way of doing it.