1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ed Reed visits Texans facility

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ivenovember, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    #Ravens are very pessimistic about the possibility of keeping FA Ed Reed, I'm told. Belief is he wants $4M per year. Doubtful they do that.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They were never going to not extend him. Doing it when they did allowed them to have greater control over the cost and they took advantage by hammering out a relatively cap-friendly deal the next two years.

Had they waited, they would have been negotiating against a landscape radically changed by Flacco’s exorbitant deal.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    Ed Reed yet to make a final decision, but Texans continued their push for him during league meetings. Strong offer and interest. Expectation was Reed would make a decision today, but no one will rush him. About to hop on flight out of Phoenix. will update if I can

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Flacco just went on an epic Super Bowl run and put up dominant numbers in the postseason. Schaub fluttered down the stretch and was average at best in the playoffs, doing nothing worth remembering. Rick Smith would have laughed in his face if he wanted a huge bump because Joe Flacco got paid.

Edit w/ more thoughts:

The fact of the matter is they invested money in him banking on the hope that he'll go on an Eli Manning or Joe Flacco type run to get us to a Super Bowl. It's just very, very hard to win in the playoffs without great QB play and he had not shown that in big situations before they gave him the extension. I understand why they did it - he knows the system and they know they can get to the playoffs with him - but we're definitely taking a hard road to a title at this point. It's still possible, but the odds are stacked against us without great QB play.

#964 DieHard Rocket, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Schaub would have signed for less with the pathetic play he had down the stretch.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Really wished the Texans waited on the Schaub extension...that has really been the only bone headed move that they have done...coming off of a career threatening achiles injury, they really shouldve waited on the Schaub extension till this offseason...Couldve had him for cheaper and less years...and on top of that mightve been able to sign Reed and pursue OL help...and resign some of our FA's

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

they might have thought having that unsettled would hurt his play. Or getting it settled would help his play. Either way, a positive

Clearly it wasn't...just saying, that would have been decent logic at the time when added to the fact that he's pretty much been the same guy every year, so they probably expected another similar year

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No way! He's a top 10 QB! Look at the stats from 2 years ago! They got him at a bargain!

Signed,

Hey Now!

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

hindsight is always 20/20...but it was still a huge risk on McNair's part regardless...

If anything they couldve franchised him this season if contract talks stalled...If the New Orleans Saints waited on Brees, and the Baltimore Ravens waited on Joe Flacco, the Texans shouldve waited on Schaub...I can guarantee that Rick Smith regrets that decisions right about now...

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Lis Franc is not even close to Achilles.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Sorry misspoke...thanks for the correction...i shouldve known that

12. Hey Now!

Your premise is very convenient: good = Wade Phillips; bad = Rick Smith. Do you know, for a fact, that Watt was Phillips' choice and not Smith's?

And you left out Earl Mitchell, Garret Graham, Connor Barwin, James Casey and Brice McCain – all contributors to playoff teams. Since 2009, they've drafted *very* well.

Keep in mind – San Francisco had eight top 50 picks to the Texans’ five over that stretch; so 26% of the 49ers’ picks were… “surer” things compared to 16% for the Texans, making their degree of difficulty much higher.

I don’t think it’s a fair 1:1 comparison.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think we have a pretty good record drafting in the first round (Okoye and Jackson aside), and i think we excel in the mid and late rounds finding value ...Graham, Quinn, McCain, Casey. But we don't seem to draft well in the 3rd round. Jacoby, Mouldin, Caldwell, Harris, Mitchell, etc. Its really bad. Not a single starting capable player in the lot. Our 3rd rounders from last year don't exactly wow me either. Not acceptable. Can Rick Smith make just one 3rd round pick that actually pans out?

We also don't seem to be very good at drafting CBs.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Most 3rd round picks don't pan out.......because they're 3rd round picks....

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

glad we were willing to let Reed leave the facility and shop around, and not panic and overpay

16. Hey Now!

Wait til when? He was in the final year of his deal. Waiting would have done absolutely nothing. I know all of *us* would have offered him minimum wage after his performance down the stretch - but trust me - Matt Schaub, who has a career QBR of 91.9, would not have settled for less than market value and would have walked if the Texans had low-balled him. Getting him extnded allowed the Texans to set the value, not what could be an out-of-control market.

The important part is that his deal is *very* cap friendly, especially this and next year.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah but SOME do! NONE of ours do.

3rd round picks are not throw-away picks. Guys like Jimmy Graham, Eric Decker, and Major Wright were all picked in the 3rd round in the 2010 draft. Plenty of other contributors too, like Andre Roberts, etc. You can't give a GM a pass every year for missing on his 3rd round picks. They're important.

18. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I think you're forgetting the base point in this "discussion" and that is that Rick Smith in your mind has no "wrongs", my point is that he does. And in order to highlight that I chose the time frame when it was obvious that he had the least amount "of help".

But in response to your point about San Francisco, Keep in mind that in 2007 San Francisco drafted 3 All-Pro players; all of which were drafted after the Texans drafted.

In 2007 We picked Amobi Okoye @10, they picked Patrick Willis@11, and Joe Staley @28 and in the 4th round they picked Dashon Goldson. Between Joe Staley and Dashon Goldson, the Texans drafted: Jacoby Jones and Fred Bennett.

Regarding the other gentlemen, I did leave out Barwin, but the others are not above average players to me, Brice McCain is the only one who can even make a claim to being slightly above average as a nickel corner.

And lastly, the draft isn't made in the "early rounds". Where you earn your merit as a GM is in the later rounds where your scouting and talent evaluation become really important.

19. htown1984

htown1984 Member

if Ed Reed wanted to be with the Texans wuldnt he have signed already.. Texans already offered him what he wants. Not sure whats holding him back

20. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

:grin: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.