1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ed Reed visits Texans facility

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ivenovember, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ed isn't getting 7. Not from the Texans or anyone else. I think he'll be lucky to get 5 or 6.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If that was his opening demand, I get it. But if he's still hanging on to that number, dude needs to get real.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

you'll get no argument from me on that. I guess i just think that the reality is that we don't have the cap space to sign an impact FA WR, and there aren't any to be had anyway. Whereas, if you look closely at this draft, there are several players that have a chance to contribute early in their NFL careers: Hopkins, Allen, etc.

I think i'd rather take my chances with one of those guys given that we don't have any real alternatives in the free agent market, and that we need to add young WR talent anyway.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's concerning, sure - the Texans also played six consecutive games against playoff teams, which is a pretty rare stretch for the NFL given that the vast majority of teams are average or worse.

Including the postseason, the Broncos were 2-4 against playoff teams; the Patriots were 4-4; the Ravens 6-4 - but 2-4 before their improbable SB run. It's harder to beat good teams.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

Ed Reed at 4 million for three years > Quin at 5 million for five years.

Hopefully we don't up our offer.

I was upset when I learned Quin wasn't even offered a contract, but I was assuming Ed was being offered around 6 million dollars.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Count me in with the folks that want him only if the price is right. Handing him an extra $2-3M a year is going to cost us someone else down the line, and the reality is Reed's only got 1-2 years left in him as a starter.

Winston's not coming back, and I highly doubt Walter is either. Sounds like Winston is talking to the Eagles, Dolphins, and Pats. He's been sainted since leaving, but his work in pass protection had slipped noticeably his last season with us (Colts clowned him in TNF).

I also don't think the franchise has any plans to sign a FA RT. I'm sure they'll draft someone to be a swing tackle and push Newton, and I'm okay with it provided that Newton recovers from his knee injury. He was starting to click and looked good (Ravens, Bills, Bears) before hurting the knee. The run game tanked when Gardner and Harris came in and Newton wasn't himself when he came back. Hopefully he bounces back and continues to progress. I don't mind their draft-centric plan with the line.....but they need to be cautious - a multiple game injury to Brown would devastate the team given how awful the depth is. They gambled badly over-relying on Cushing and blowing off ILB depth last year, and that's the situation we've got at tackle right now.

I agree that Kubiak's history with rookie wideouts has me iffy on his willingness to plug and play one immediately. The other trick is, Kubiak simply does not utilize a vertical game. He wants 90% of plays to come out of possible run formations. I'd love to see a downhill receiver out there, but I just don't see interest in Kubiak's boot-heavy scheme. Maybe this season woke him up to the fact that he's running a 90s offense in a wide open spread attack league and had stone cold zero options in his playbook for third and long....but I doubt it.

It's getting no mention, but it's crystal that the Texans aren't even talking to Cody about a contract to return. Mitchell is their starter with no urgency to upgrade the nose, and I think that's pathetic. Teams couldn't run on us on the edges, but we were only average up the middle. A sorry state at both interior D-Line as well as ILB is asking for serious trouble. I really, really, really want them to take one of several nice NT/DTs that should be at the end of the first, but the smoke signals are all saying it's not happening.

Is what it is. Fans like us want to see certain things, the staff have their own ideas, and then you have to add cap realities into the mix. The upside is we should at least tread water, and nothing is going to matter to the same degree as Matt Schaub's play. We can take some cheer in that the Ravens offseason has them in danger of fighting for third place in the AFC North and that Bruce Arians' move to the Cards may stunt the Colts' progress a little bit.

7. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Damn i would assume its about 4.5 per yr (Total= 13.50) he wants 6-7..
    Than offer him 2 years 6 mil per (total 12 million) and get it done..

Looks like the Texans will end up with him soon... Noone else will give him
    the 3 yrs.. (Also noone will give him the 6 mil a yr) and if the Texans are already
    willing to give him the 3rd year.. im sure they would pay 6 mil...

8. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't work that way with non-guaranteed contracts. The Texans would rather give him a 12 year contract at 1 million per and just cut him in 2 years.

The annual cap hit is what they want to minimize.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The Texans are going to bring somebody in. Newton's going to miss at least some of the offseason and I don't think they want to start camp with only Brown and Gardner at tackle. I don't think they'll bring in somebody to take or challenge for the starting job, but they'll bring in someone. Plan A is probably to have Harris back.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

bothered. And fully believe (hope) that once the Reed/other safety situation is sorted out, they'll go after a FA WR with whatever's remaining, once it's known

If they went after one now for $4 mil, Ed Reed could say "yeah so give me 6--you have it" and the cap excuse is out the door..

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think it might be happening (taking a NT in rd1) - if the right guy is there. It would be a great long-term, high-impact pick. Smith wont be around forever and a great NT can make things so much easier on everyone else.

12. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Bob McNair and Gary Kubiak said today they want Ed Reed but they're not trying to rush Rick Smith, who's negotiating with agent Dave Dunn.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/314130446436950016">March 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>McNair on Reed: “U have 2 b cautious. We've got Cushing coming up and J.J. next year. We have 2 make sure we have enough room under our cap</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/314131198362406912">March 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. drewd17

drewd17 Member

I don't know about that there's a bunch of solid NT's this year Johnathon Jenkins (Georgia) 1-2, Jesse Williams (bama) 2-3, kwame Geathers (uga) 3-5, or Brandon Williams (Missouri Southern) 2-4. Better value in waiting then striking early.

14. conquistador#11

Not counting Qb,You could probably say this about every position though. I just hope we get an impact player. shoot if the polish cannon were to be available,I'd take him with the 27th pick:p.

WRs and CBs are the ones that have the most trouble adjusting.

15. drewd17

drewd17 Member

This is an actually deep draft for NT's and WR's

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It isn't that they lost to the Patriots...it's that they never looked like they were remotely in those games.

Needing overtime to beat the Jags at home is where the doubt started creeping in for me. That's where it all started changing and my Dallas friends started saying, "See!! I told you so!!" about the Wade Fade.

17. DreamRoxCoogFan

tee hee hee :grin:

18. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

does not compute.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Did you watch the texans at all last year? Never turned the corner... How can you turn a corner when you're never targeted? He can't throw it to himself.

Again this either falls in Gary's lap, Schaub's lap or both... Dude clearly has the physical skills yet they NEVER threw it his way.

20. conquistador#11

and for free safeties too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.