1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ed Reed visits Texans facility

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ivenovember, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Why would you seemingly go this all in for a guy for him to walk out over 333k? I simply don't buy that.

This is all on Ed Reed. Either he simply is using us, which I doubt because I doubt he'd use Andre like that, or he really wants to take his time and see what the market is like.

I'm almost positive he wants to check out the market. Hopefully, when it's said and done, he'll come here. I just think the longer he has to contemplate, the more likely he'll end up back with Baltimore.

2. Raven

Raven Member

Using another team for leverage is part of the game. I don't begrudge Reed for trying to get one last payday. The Texans should, however, have seen this coming and made him a take it or leave it offer. My problem with the Texans when it comes to dealing with player contracts is that they don't seem to have guiding philosophy or a long term plan.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, Rick Smith is being exposed. This season looks like an impending disaster.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

the season ?? We're 1 safety removed (and in theory, half a year of Cushing added) from a 12 win season. I would hardly call the season an impending disaster.

So far the offseason has sucked. They need to find ways to improve. The draft will help. Reed is still possible. So are lesser guys like Woodson. And some middle WR names out there.

Chill out on the world explosion theories

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

[​IMG]

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Are we any closer to beating Tom Brady? And hell now even Peyton Manning with their new players?

That's what it's all about. Not 12 win seasons. I'm still reserving my judgement as to if we can, hoping Gary Kubiak has a different style of play and gameplan for next season because if it's the same **** as last year. You can pretty much expect another 2nd round exit in the playoffs.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Did you not say they were going to finish 8-8 last season? All of a sudden, it's not about 12 win seasons now?? The same **** as last year gets us a Division Championship, and one game within the AFC title game. The offseason just began.....let it play out before indicting them. 12 win seasons imply that the team is definitely a contender.

8. ItsMyFault

Yes I did. And that had nothing to do with them being a contender or not a contender. The amount of wins you have in the regular season hasn't meant all that much these last few years, just get yourself in the playoffs and then it's all about health and how well you're playing at that time. That's how its been for the last 3 superbowl champs. The division will be easier IMO this year, I think the Colts overachieved and they also had some extra added motivation with everything going on there. If we can't beat New England, 12 wins means nothing at all. I'm not indicting anyone, all I'm saying is # of wins doesn't get you anything in the playoffs other than determine if you have home field advantage or not. A different game plan is needed on both sides of the ball to beat a team like the Patriots, and I just hope it isn't the same as the one we had last season because that won't get the Texans anywhere.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That they want Ed Reed tells you they are changing their defensive plan as he is a totally different safety than Quin.

10. SacTown

SacTown Member

Lol at itsmyfault. Smh

11. ItsMyFault

Oh look, a troll chimed in.

12. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Cutting Schaub would solve so many problems. Why hasn't the front office asked him to restructure his deal? His 66 mil is clearly the financial albatross that's the most glaring.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

Schaub, Andre, and Arian are all pretty much awful contracts.

Yes, I realize the latter 2 players don't suck. Doesn't mean their contracts don't.

14. Pete the Cheat

He has too much guaranteed (dead) money for that to work. It would cost over $10MM to cut him.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Yeah Andre didn't earn it at all last year.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Cutting him would solve salary problems but then you'd have the biggest problem an NFL team can have: No good qb on the roster.

Schaub is not perfect by any stretch, but cutting him and replacing him with someone less than talented than him, which is what you would do, would keep you out of the playoffs for sure. I know it's popular to hate on him right now because of how he ended the season, but this time last year most people round these parts thought Schaub was CLEARLY better than Joe Flacco. Heck, a lot of people even thought that Schaub getting hurt was what kept us out of the Superbowl.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Cut Schaub and replace him with who? TJ? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Kevin Kolb? Yeah, that'll win us more games. /sarcasm

You want to restructure? I guess you could, but it's the start of a brand new deal. I'm not sure how much money you could actually move around without extending the contract (which is often how it works) and I know you don't want that.

You just want him to take a straight pay cut? Good luck with that. Possible, but not likely.

Besides, though Schaub's yearly average pays him like a top 10 QB, he's middle of the pack in terms of QB salary for 2013. He's not getting paid a ton this year compared to other NFL QBs. His contract is back loaded and he'll likely never see the end of it. His cap hit this year is only $10.75 M (good for a QB). But next year it's $14.5, $17 the year after that, and $19 2016.

#657 Cannonball, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  18. conquistador#11

not only that but unless you can get one in the draft to step up, qbs are generally expensive. It's the nature of the position even for all the "elite" guys who haven't won a superbowl without the D stepping up big time. Fantasy dorks in Denver call in to radio shows, regretting the signing of "mr. one and done."

hey guys,
    maybe we could sign vince on the cheap. he could take us to a 12-4 record. =/
    It's not like schoob did much anyways..pass all the way to the 5and hand off to foster for td. pass all the way to 10, kick fg. surely, anyone can do that.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but being good and it being unwise to allocate that % of the cap on a WR no matter how good they are aren't mutually exclusive.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Bolded for truth lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.