1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ebola outbreak ravaging West Africa: ''totally out of control"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jun 22, 2014.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

They stop once the spread is controlled. Eventually, you'll have the last infected person die and then the outbreak stops.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

How do they know when to release the infected patient back into the population?
    I know why it can spread easily in Africa, but why does it start there?

3. PhiSlammaJamma

One more question,

So the doctor leaves the clean room, and all clothes burned, I get it, but at some point the Dr. Has to take the clothes off right. So you have to touch what you are wearing. Or does a robot take your clothes off. What happens in the changing room that assures non-contamination?

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

the decontamination room was where the American they brought back likely caught it... they have to take it off carefully and usually have assistants.

5. Buck Turgidson

If you are easily scared, stay away from Galveston Island.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, to get clicks, abcnews has reported it like a movie.

The CDC says this is unlikely to be ebola but they are exercising an abundance of caution, since *last month* the person was in Africa. So if you have a high fever and were in Africa within the last month, they're going to quarantine and test you. Probably hundreds if not thousands of people will fit this description over the next couple of weeks.

7. Buck Turgidson

The entire Northeast is close enough to Greenland to just ship all the yankees there, right? It can be our Australia, but different. Who's with me?

8. Major

Major Member

That's where people tend to be in contact with fruit bats.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I love all of the "calmers" who are salivating at a chance to say it is farfetched, told you so.

The problem isn't how "unlikely" it is, but rather that the possibility of it spreading is very real. And we should take every precaution we can as a country. If Governments were good at fighting diseases, then we'd have stopped more than Polio.

Would someone care to remind me when that was?

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

boy you really showed them...[​IMG]

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So your contention that my pointing out facts makes me a "calmer" and ABC News web articles are purely accurate with no interest in stoking fears?

Gotcha! yes, I pretty much live to say "told you so" even though I've pretty much never done that. I can't wait to pop my "told you so" cherry though!

Look, ebola is serious and this one is spreading more than anyone expected it could. It's scary. The dude in New York likely does not have it, FWIW. Until we have his test results (likely already in hand, but boring, so not reported yet), we don't have "patient zero" in America or whatever. We already have a patient or two in Georgia anyway.

But if it can be spread through the air, there are ZERO precautions to protect us. There is far too much travel in the world now. If you want to be scared, you have every reason to be: there will definitely be a major pandemic in our lifetimes. There are just too damned many humans and way too much travel. Again, the Spanish Flu got to 98% of human beings, and we traveled a *lot* less continent to continnet, even with WWI shipping troops everywhere.

Cheers,
    B-Calm-Bob

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The shoe fits.

However, mainly what I'm saying is that the CDC and government are trying to quell panic mostly, and there are plenty of people who want to believe them.

Just because it's not "airborne," it doesn't mean it isn't easy to spread this disease. Someone not showing symptoms could come here (NY for example), get on a subway, and then spread it very easily via water droplet transmission through saliva on a grip or pole in a subway car. If someone else grabs it on the subway and maybe rubs their eyes in the morning, or touches their mouth, eats without washing their hands, they have it. This disease can then spread from them during a 21-day incubation period. There are likely people in the states who have this and haven't shown symptoms, and are spreading it as I type.

Additionally, populations with confined spaces... planes, subways, large cities especially, are susceptible to the spreading of this disease via coughing and sneezing, because of the previously mentioned water-drop transmission.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Additionally I've seen conflicting reports:

Some say it can be spread via water drop transmission, other say no, it isn't

Then others says the disease can't spread until symptoms are shown. Others say no, it can spread when a patient is asymptomatic.

My main problem is with people acting like this isn't a real problem for us. We need to close travel off and deny visas. And treating patients here creates a narrative in the news of foreign countries that "hey, America can cure you of ebola." This could mean that someone highly infectious could get on a plane in hopes of coming to America for our miracle cure. The threat so far is unknown, and we shouldn't panic. But we need to be taking more precautions. And bringing patients back is the worst idea. It is inviting a stream of patients who think we can help them.

14. Major

Major Member

If they aren't showing symptoms, they aren't contagious. This is one of those things that the government and others are trying to explain to you, but you dismiss as calm-mongering.

15. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Why deny the infected Americans treatment that they need? USA is their home and they should be recovering in a place where their chances of survival are high. They know what they are doing so I am confident that they are keeping this under control.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

To a point . . .. it comes down to . . . How much do you trust your government?

Among Americans .. . Trust is not as high as it use to be

Rocket River
    . . . and it is the government's own fault

17. Kelpwax

Kelpwax Member

The more populated the area and the more air travel that occurs in it - the farther it will spread before stop.

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

If that's the case then you can assume they've been smuggling in Ebola-laden Africans for the past 5 years. No point in worrying about it now.

19. Major

Major Member

Why do people need to trust the government? There are scientists all around the world that have spent their lives studying disease like ebola. Why not rely on them?

Or alternatively, who are these people trusting to tell them it's dangerous? A bunch of internet conspiracy theorists? Is that any better?

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w-0TEJMJOhk?t=1m17s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    This seems fitting.