1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ebola coming to America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Oct 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CDC wasn't prepared for Ebola that is clear. At the same time despite everything Ebola isn't a big risk to the U.S. One person with Ebola getting into the country isn't the danger. It's not going to go past health workers especially with the amount of screening and tracing going on of health workers treating Ebola patients.

The real risk is that Ebola spreads across Africa and in large numbers where it creates a panic and people start fleeing the country. Then the virus will be all over the world and could cause a global recession.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Forgot the title. It was the one starting Scott Baio and Corey Feldman.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny but sad..
    http://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...cial&utm_medium=facebook&mbid=social_facebook

Some Fear Ebola Outbreak Could Make Nation Turn to Science
    By Andy Borowitz

NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report)—There is a deep-seated fear among some Americans that an Ebola outbreak could make the country turn to science.

In interviews conducted across the nation, leading anti-science activists expressed their concern that the American people, wracked with anxiety over the possible spread of the virus, might desperately look to science to save the day.

“It’s a very human reaction,” said Harland Dorrinson, a prominent anti-science activist from Springfield, Missouri. “If you put them under enough stress, perfectly rational people will panic and start believing in science.”

Additionally, he worries about a “slippery slope” situation, “in which a belief in science leads to a belief in math, which in turn fosters a dangerous dependence on facts.”

At the end of the day, though, Dorrinson hopes that such a doomsday scenario will not come to pass. “Time and time again through history, Americans have been exposed to science and refused to accept it,” he said. “I pray that this time will be no different.”

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Borowitz is often hit or miss with his humor but this one is good.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*chuckle*

Rocket River

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I thought it was weak. People screaming for science or demanding if people believe in evolution are often those who have no scientific education, training or experience. Like this writer for example.

7. Invisible Fan

I thought it was satire targeting people screaming for religion and demanding creationism be taught in schools.

8. Bandwagoner

oops. I have scientific education, training and experience and avoided literature at all costs. Plus, I'm not that smart.

9. Invisible Fan

Have you joined the talking circuit yet?

Bill Maher after 5 events.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

So are those refusing to believe it, ultimately the point of the article is that science garners less interest and attention than other topics. I honestly didn't infer anything in there about evolution. Incidentally, understanding that human life did not come about through some misogynistic play-dough session doesn't require post-graduate work in Biochemistry, you just have to recognize literary sensationalism, narrow political and cultural motives and crappy moral subtext when you see it.

11. Bandwagoner

Well I was completely wrong (in the characterization of the article) on my post you quoted but I will defend it. There was nothing there on evolution, I just hear it from people demanding if someone believes in it so I brought it up. From what I understand, most modern christian congregations are not proclaiming the world is 5k years old or that Genesis is to be taken literally.