1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ebola 1st case in the US

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ron from the G, Sep 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

"But the fact is that weak health systems, not unprecedented virulence or a previously unknown mode of transmission, are to blame for Ebola’s rapid spread."

but but KingCheetah said this is a more virulent strain!!! i call bs on this article :mad:

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has been one of my worries. I'm planning on going to Asia in December and January to see family but am not sure how much (more) of a pain in the ass international travel will be by then. I've already dropped plans for a trip to Egypt.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

^visited East Africa, not in Western Africa where Liberia, Sierra Leone, and the ebola outbreak is. No mention of any possible contact with contagious persons.

Definite overreaction.

4. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I had authentic African Cuisine at the International Festival in Florida a few weeks ago. Don't tell anyone, I don't want to get taped up in a bathroom stall for 24 hours.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Fixed the proper quarantine for you. :grin:

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So, is it mom or dad that's taking 3 weeks off of work to placate the paranoia of other parents?

What, does he think it's genetic? Or that it's transmitted via Skype? With this criteria, we need to quarantine Bill Chapman until we know the background on him.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

One of them is preparing for a lawsuit.

Hint: It is the one that got on a plane

9. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

lawsuit for what? for CDC making her out to be a scapegoat?

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I don't get it..:confused:

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And we should preemptively ban bobmarley from the bbs due to his impending move to east Africa.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe some of the people on the plane are suing the nurse or the hospital or the CDC or the airline is suing the hospital, etc... I can see it.

13. Bandwagoner

Amber Vinson (nurse) has hired Billy Martin (lawyer) in preparation for a lawsuit.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Which way is the lawsuit going?

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Spent some time last night with a friend, a PhD microbiologist who is a former CDC employee (about a decade ago) and now works as an epidemiologist in another country (not in Africa). This kind of virus is actually not her main specialty. But she did say it seemed awfully easy for healthcare workers to catch the current strain. She was surprised that the nurses in Dallas contracted ebola.

Her big worry with America is that with all our hysteria about a handful of cases here, we would forget about the much larger and ultimately more important (to all of us) problem in Africa. Like, if we don't stomp on ebola over there, we'll keep getting people arriving by airplane, sooner or later.

Interesting perspective. Her country currently has no cases, but they've tested a person of interest (results negative). Mainly, they've been working on training, communications and logistics, she said, getting ready for their first arriving case. Little doubt it will show up, from her perspective.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's been my big thing. The other issue regarding US hysteria that was recently brought to my attention is flu season. Not that the flu is a bigger problem than ebola, but that thousands of people will mistake the flu for ebola and go to the hospital, possibly hiding real ebola cases in the crowd of false alarms. That makes it more likely that hospitals will misdiagnose ebola patients and discharge them.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Love it. :grin:

18. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

WHO has stated there are no more cases in Nigeria or Liberia. Slowly but surely they will get a handle of it.

19. Bandwagoner

They didn't say Liberia dude, just Nigeria.