1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ebay...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Band Geek Mobster, May 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Band Geek Mobster

I've been on a mission for the past few days at finding a bowflex. I've finally decided to check out ebay and I see a couple good deals available. Anyway, I'll end up spending over a grand on ebay and I'm very hesitant about doing this.

I need some of you regular EBayers to make me feel safe about buying something off of ebay...

What do I need to look out for when it comes to making a purchase?

Are those Positive/Negative reviews reliable?

Do I trust someone with just 12 sells?

Please make me feel better about EBay...

-BGM

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I've sold/bought a lot of different things over Ebay, but never more than 100 bucks at a time.

It generally is very reliable. The feedback thing is great...provided you have enough feedback to mean anything. The really good ones are well reflected.

ONly 12 feedback isn't necessarily bad...but they aren't established enough to trust with that kind of money, IMHO.

It's also nice to go through Paypal (or at least it was), since they had some extra coverage. I don't know about that high an amount, though.

So, to summarize:

1. Wow, that's a sh**load of money to spend over Ebay.
    2. Lots of feedback is a good thing.
    3. Stay away from the newbies.

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

a bowflex is a pretty big item... shipping is gonna cost ya!!

as long as you don't balk at shipping costs it should go fine... don't bid/buy from anyone with a lot of negative feedback or if this is their first auction...

good luck

4. rockHEAD

I just found 3 pages of bowflex items... I wouldn't bid on someone with just 12 items, unless all they've sold is bowflex's. I look it at it from the scammers point of view... put 11 small items up for bid, get good feedback then screw the person that is gonna spend $1000 dollars... It's totally up to you... not everyone is a scammer and I've never spent more than like $20 on a particular item on ebay...

5. Band Geek Mobster

Shipping should be about $200...

I still plan on searching the city for a cheaper item, it's $2300 on the website with shipping, so that's why I'm checking out Ebay.

One item I'm looking at is from a guy with only 12 reviews, so I'm pretty scared about making a bid with him. I think I'll end up e-mailing him and asking some questions.

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I buy all of my electronics off of Ebay. I've purchased 2 computer systems, 2 Playstation 2's, about 30 games, my Car CD Stereo system, among other things, so I've spent my fair share of money on it.

I think you can save yourself a LOT of money. To be fair, I have no idea how much Bowflexes actually cost, but the only time I've ever encountered things that AREN'T cheaper on Ebay are low-priced items where the shipping overwhelms the cost of the item.

That said, ideally, I would look for someone that deals with a lot of Bowflexes if possible, if you're really worried about it. We got a really nice vacuum for cheap from a guy that sells demo vacuums. People like that are 100% reliable.

The other possibility is that someone that sells a lot of things on Ebay and happens to have a Bowflex that they're getting rid of is a good person, too. That person doesn't necessarily have the price worked out to a fine science, and you can probably save a little money.

Anyway, if it were me and I wanted a Bowflex I wouldn't have any qualms about it. But I don't want a Bowflex and I don't have $1000.

:)

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Try this:

You can do a search limited to Houston (or whatever city you live in).

Once you identify the ones in your home city, send the seller an email requesting to inspect the item or at the very least, pick it up at a mutually agreeable location.

This will save you the shipping charges and decrease the chance of fraud.

8. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

eBay is very reliable. It helps make the world go `round!

9. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Have you ever used a Bowflex before?

It's REALLY difficult to operate at the beginning.

That's why when you see the commercials only ripped guys use it.

It's really not something to build muscle with, more to maintain it or if you're really really tight.

Good luck though.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Anybody know anything about the CrossBow by Weider. It's less than half the price of the Bowflex and appears superior.....

11. rockHEAD

personally if I was the 'fit' type... I would go with proper diet, exercise and free weights... resistance training is so 80's...