1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[East Valley Tribune] Stoudemire expecting to see time at center

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Relativist, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Stoudemire expecting to see time at center
    by Mike Tulumello
    East Valley Tribune
    September 28, 2004

Talk to Suns officials and you get the idea that Amare Stoudemire is easing up on his reluctance to play center.
    Talk to Stoudemire, though, and you're not so sure.
    Suns president Bryan Colangelo said he can see a scenario where "our best combination is when he's out there as a small 'five' (center)" flanked by Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson at forward and Steve Nash and Quentin Richardson at guard.

This group "could be your starting five or at least play significant minutes together.”

Though Stoudemire has resisted this idea in the past, the situation has been explained to him, and "ultimately Amare's about winning."

And that means if he needs to play a significant amount of time at center, "He'll be fine with it," Colangelo said. Said Stoudemire, "If I have to do it for a couple games, that's cool.

"It's not my natural position. . . but sometimes it will be to our advantage because we'll be quicker (than opponents) and I can still go into the post.
    "If I'm called on to play center, I'll play it." How about being the starting center?

"Whoa!" said a surprised Stoudemire. "It depends.

"We have legitimate centers (in Jake Voskhul and Steven Hunter). I don't think I'll be called on to play center that much."

Let's see how the 2003 ROY handles a full game against Yao Ming at center.

Having said that, I still think he's the perfect complement to Yao in the frontcourt.

2. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

is that all the have for 5 spot?

3. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

The Suns are going to have one crazy line up. Each player can drive, run, dish, and finish... scary.

Luckily for Amare, he will only see real competition at center 6 times out of the year (Yao and Shaq), but, of course, he has no chance in those games.

4. pickymen

pickymen Contributing Member

He'll only play the position when the Suns' centers are in foul trouble against Shaq and Yao. They'll have other players helping to deny the ball in the first place.

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I hope he has to play center against Yao. I remember that game last year when Yao was smoking Amare on both sides of the ball.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why is he against it? He is as big as Hakeem was in his prime?

And Hakeem got by on quickness, Amare could be an awesome center if he wanted to.

DD

7. pacertom

pacertom Member

Would Jake Voskhul and Steven Hunter get smoked less?

And while Jake Voskhul or Steven Hunter got smoked, Joe Johnson or Shawn Marion or Quniten Richardson would be sitting on the bench if you play one of those pieces of crap.

I think Amare is the best choice given their current roster.

8. m_cable

To me, as long as he isn't in foul trouble I like the idea of Yao going against the opposition's main lowpost option, even if they are PFs. Yao's size can really hurt some guys that aren't used to it. And ultimately I hope that he can develop into a lockdown lowpost defender and put him on the good PFs(since there's way more of them than C's) around the league.

But I think JVG is reluctant to do that, so it's good to see the opposition dictate that matchup themselves.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Funny.

Amare at center would be good, especially against teams like Denver, Memphis, or Utah that have similar doughnut issues.

The trick is, Yao has shown that he has trouble dealing with quicker guys. He's usually far more likely to get into foul trouble by reacting late to guys like Amare.

Evan

#9 emjohn, Sep 28, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

YAO is going to tear him a new ....

11. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Then again, most players have trouble dealing with supertall Yao that's
    getting stronger and stronger :D

Seriously, Yao had an edge over Amare in previous match-ups. Make no
    mistake. They went against each other many times. Amare in particular
    had some grudge against Yao.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

This issue with Yao is getting way overplayed. It's true that Yao occasionally have shown problems dealing with smaller guys. But that's only because we expect him to dominate all the time. When Yao scores at will smaller, quicker players most of the time, you don't take notice because it's expected. Yet the few games when someone like Najera or Grant messes Yao up, it becomes overblown.

Amare has shown that he can't stop Yao on either side of the court, and that he can only match Yao in production by jacking up twice the number of shots. I wouldn't worry about him at all.

13. dback816

dback816 Member

Amare is faster than Yao, no question asked. Other than that...well I think that's it. Yao is the superior player, if only they can play together...Amare is the perfect complement to Yao at the PF...too bad there doesn't seem to be much chemistry between them I_I O_ O

14. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Hakeem was listed as 7 feet, but was really like 6'10". Amare is listed at 6'10", but is really more like 6'8".

15. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

amare is 6'9"

hakeem might not have even been 6'10" he could have been less than that

16. m_cable

....and then there's the fact that he's not on the Rockets and doesn't really have a chance of landing here.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Amare is not Hakeem.....no one is....or will be....

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Even if he was something like 8-26 from the floor against Yao last year (while Yao made 73% of his field goal attempt), his two dunks against Yao made the SportsCenter highlight and made people believe that he owned Yao in that game (which was the other way around).

I am certain that Amare has made up his mind that if he goes 5-30 against Yao and all 5 of those made shots are dunks, he will believe that he has outplayed Yao.

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who exactly plays the 4 slot when Amare plays the 5? Even a guy like Juwan Howard would eat Shawn Marion alive in the post.

HotRocket- Amare knows how to pass??

Suns now aren't much different than the Suns of the mid90s. Donut in the middle.

20. m_cable

Well I don't know about that. Marion is pretty strong. And Howard hasn't eaten anybody alive in a few years. I think Marion could handle about half of the starting 4s in the league.