1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

East Carolina vs Houston

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Saturday 6pm
    TV: CBSC channel 106 (Houston Comcast)
    Weather: 85 degrees at kickoff 20% chance of rain
    Line: 9.5
    Totals: 73

stream the game at firstrowsports.com or justintv.com
    chron.com also has live blog

East Carolina 34

Coogs 47

2. Chopped

Chopped Member

don't like this game one bit. I'll still be at the rob though.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I hope the defense has been practicing for the draw play. Offense has to get going early, stay hot and score atleast 40 points.

Everyone get out to Robertson and atleast enjoy the tailgating!

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

The probability of a loss is always high with a team that has NO defense. I don't enjoy watching a team whose only hope is outscoring the other team because they can't stop them. I am a longtime UH fan, but the "no defense" thing really frustrates me. There is simply no excuse, recruit better, get another DC, something.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

its harder to recruit defense at a non bcs school. Osu, ut, Ou, and a&m will always get those players over us.

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

UH 100
    ECU 99

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Soooooo you're saying to bet the over?

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It's harder to recruit on offense too. I wonder how many blue chip recruits on offense play for UT compared to UH.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

With the type of offense the coogs run you don't need blue chippers to be successful. Keenum was a 2 star recruit, pat Edwards and carrier weren't ranked at all but stat wise will go down as two of the best in school history. As long as we are in the cusa the defense will not be much better because we can't get defensive stars to come here. Sumlin knows that. Recruit a decent qb to learn the system, recruit speed at the wr position, and try to out score everyone. It's the only option.

1 person likes this.
  10. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

On offense you can kind of scheme....o.k my guys aren't big enough but they are fast. I am gonna spread the field and get it to my waterbugs in space....I am gonna be proficient at it cause it is all I do....I don't go into an I formation or bring in 3 tight ends....I might not even have 2 tight ends on scholarship.

My O line is tiny too....so everything is going to go on like a 3 step drop.....and I am gonna be spread out so wide with so many receivers you can't bring safeties into the box...so my undersized running backs are gonna get some big gainers.

On defense if your guys aren't big AND fast you can't exactly make the other team go...o.k I am not big enough...so please throw everything to the sideline so my midgets can shove you out of bounds.

1 person likes this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

A few things;

Our Defense has pitched a shutout. When was the last time we did that? 15 years. The Defense has not been nearly as bad a people have portrayed it. We are undersized, and we've had poor moments, but we have definately improved over the last two seasons and I think that really showed in the UCLA game. We were undersized, and we were still around the ball at all times making plays.

I think we have speed, and the defense should scheme around that. We almost always are the faster team, so we should be using that to design a defense around. Play faster and gang tackle.

I can count the number of time's we've been ranked on one hand, and it was never when we had a defense, or the fascimile of a defense, it was always because we had an offense built around the passing game. So it's not hard to figure that our recruiting base has had it's greatest successes transforming speed into points, and doing it primarily through the air. There is a clear trend over 30-40 years. It's best not to pretend we can recruit a defense when we can't.

ECU is a scare game. They play us well. They match up well with us. but I like our chances this year. Coogs 48 ECU 21.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Offense is more reliant on scheme and execution.

Defense is more reliant on pure athleticism.

13. liljojo

liljojo Member

Yep. I think the saying goes "You can coach offense, but you have to recruit defense."

14. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

After hearing the Big12/TCU news look for UH to come out pist off and light up the score board on ECU Azz Pirates.

15. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Bud-lite is following at Robertson.

Where you at?

16. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

anyone got a link?

17. jaykay

jaykay Member

1 person likes this.
  18. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

19. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

UH dominating. Looks like the extra 2 day rest from their thursday game last week really benefiting the defense.

20. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

This is what UH needs to vault into the top 25. I hope they can keep the pressure on. It's run up the score weekend so why not?