1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Earthlings - a must watch documentary.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Nov 6, 2015.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

So I recently posted about going vegan on this board for the month of November only. I decided shortly after that thread (posted around a month ago) to just go vegan full-time and I haven't looked back.

Since I made the transition, I read a lot about the health aspect of the diet and learned how to make certain foods and stuff. I thought that since I wasn't consuming animal products, there was no need for me to even learn about the industry. I came across a documentary called Earthlings that shows us what goes on in factory farms, and decided to give it a watch. It was the most harrowing thing I've ever seen. I knew the industry was bad, but I had no idea the extent in which we manipulate and abuse these animals.

Vegan, non-vegan... I encourage you all to watch this because I think we all have the responsibly to know what we are funding when we buy meat, clothing, certain furniture and even going to the circus or rodeo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PB_ZMiYy_OQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Greed is a powerful evil, its not only sad, but frightening at how lost people can become behind money. Torturing animals, poisoning our food and destroying the environment all in the name of profit.

Hopefuly one day man will realize money isn't real, and all the beautiful things we have sacrificed for it perished in vein.

1 person likes this.
  3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Competition and greed exist or at the very least is amplified because of scarcity. You cant change human nature you can only change the surrounding environment and the underlying variables.

Technological advances will hopefully one day solve the problem.

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

We can help solve the problem now. One person isn't a lot, but it makes a difference. Don't support these corporations.

5. Buck Turgidson

You don't have to become a vegan to do that.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Why do vegetarians and vegans feel the need to announce over and over and over and over and over that they are a vegetarian or vegan? We read your thoughts on your reasoning the first time, no need to relay it over and over and over and over and over. ****ing annoying as hell. Freaking hate Critical Mass.

1 person likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

A crossfitter, a vegan and a libertarian walk into a bar, I only know this because they announced it within 2 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it doesn't bother me one bit that he posted this. perhaps it will help change someone else's life for the better like it did watching this movie.

in the hangout 75% of the threads are typically about a movie/tvshow/game anyways.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz!

Healthcare & the food industry have been monetized into oblivion. We're all ****ed.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Don't forget craft beer guy

11. RedRedemption

I like meat. Wont stop eating meat anytime soon.

Oh well.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I can't give up meat, sorry.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Upton Sinclair says, "I told you so."

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I've ridden Critical Mass. I eat bacon. And I like my steak rare.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

that's not completely what it's about. it is simply good to be informed about things and make decisions based on that information.

if a random person watches this and perhaps cuts down on the consumption, that small amount is still a positive thing right? so maybe that person a few times a month goes a day without eating meat, and realizes they do not have to have meat in every single meal every single day. they end up not ever taking it any further than that, but they also pass this on to their children, showing them that they do not have to have meat EVERY single meal, and EVERY single day.

to me that is making a difference.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He didn't make this thread to announce that he was going vegan. He made this thread because he recently learned how horrific most factory farming conditions are. Unhumane conditions are being held for millions of these animals under the control of food corporations that everybody supports. This is his first time understanding the entirety of the situation, and he is alarmed. He wanted to share with others about this tragedy that is ongoing, one which we as the consumers can hopefully try to change.

You are annoyed and being rude to someone who is only trying to be kind hearted to animals(and humans) someone who is only trying to spread positive word. If you are already aware of the situation, don't care and wish not re-read it all why not just leave the thread without comment or uneedingly frustrating your self.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I couldn't watch the the first 20 minutes.

The puppy mills, gassing of animals at shelters, that guy putting a a dirty dog in the garbage compressor truck...I just had to stop there.

18. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

You're a dumb@ss. If you don't care then don't open the thread. He just wanted to raise awareness on an issue. I have a strong feeling you're also that Texas guy that probably cried when that sedated ass cow died.

But people like LonghornFan are why there is little hope out there. The fact that there is such backlash to even discuss the issue shows no one really gives a **** who dies making their food. Vegans needs to move on from this point, no one cares about cows.

That said, the need for vegan diets across the board needs to shift to an environmental perspective. I highly recommend watching Cowspiracy, which discusses this in depth, and is on Netflix. Livestock does way more destruction to our environment then long showers and F-150s. Just a gallon of milk requires 1000 gallons of water to produce. And with our rapid population growth rate, the current livestock consumption is actually unsustainable.

19. RedRedemption

Most people hate proselytizers and solicitors.
    Environmentalists, evangelists, door to door salesmen, vegans, etc.

I understand spreading the information, but you have to realize most people already know and are making a conscious decision that they don't want to sacrifice meat to better the lives of a few animals.

People don't even give up lower prices on consumer goods to benefit HUMAN BEINGS. Otherwise 20-hour sweatshops and child labor wouldn't be large issues.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Vegans and environmentalist really shouldn't be compared to door to door salesmen or religious recruitment. We aren't trying to tell anything, and the information they try to share is for the benefit of our health, the environment and animals lives. Its all very real and scientific unlike religion.

OP didn't know, and chances are he is not the only man on this forum who was unaware. Sure most hear about it but there is a difference from hearing about something and completely understanding the entirety of the situation. One will hit you much harder then the other. And it's not " a few " animals lives, its a **** load.

But again if people think they already know, and don't care, then just don't post in the thread and ignore it. You really don't have to, with all the stupid ass threads in the hangout there is absolutely no reason why OP can't make this thread. Even if it only lightly affects one or two people that automatically makes this thread more worthwhile then most threads.

And that's horrible, and these are real problems that many people are working to help and change it. Again if some people are numb to it and don't care then that's yalls thing...but there may be people here that are interessted with changing their lifestyle or helping the causes. Even if that's just one its worth it.

Whats worse then "annoying vegans" is people who take their time out to try to shame them for spreading positive word. Just leave the thread for those who are interested bro's in not a big deal.