1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Early Look at Texans Draft Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Nov 13, 2006.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Who gets you excited, with us probably picking in the area of #6-12? I'd consider the O-Line, followed by DT and safety as our biggest priorities. (Abridged from Kipers current board):

1. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-3½, 225) | previous: Same
    Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. Quinn has 14 TD passes and no interceptions in his last five games.

2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) | previous: Same
    Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

3. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193) | previous: Same
    Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage. Hall leads the Wolverines with three interceptions.

6. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205) | previous: 5
    Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career. Landry leads LSU with 30 solo tackles.

7. Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio St. (6-3, 297) | previous: Same
    Run-stuffing dynamo who does a great job of clogging the interior.

9. Buster Davis, LB, Florida State (5-10, 242) | previous: 14
    Rock-solid player who is a shorter version of Ray Lewis. Davis leads the Seminoles with 81 tackles (39 solo).

10. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-4½, 325) | previous: 11
    Steady and reliable at protecting the quarterback's blind side.

11. DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler, DT, NC State (6-2¼, 310) | previous: 17
    Extremely quick and very powerful. A player on the rise, Taylor has been a one-man wrecking crew on the defensive line for the Wolfpack.

13. Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno St. (6-0½, 200) | previous: 15
    He has the size and speed (4.33 40-yard dash) with outstanding coverage technique.

14. Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn (5-10½, 199) | previous: 8
    Deceptively strong with great vision and balance. Irons has missed two games this season because of injuries.

15. Daymeion Hughes, CB, California (6-0, 187) | previous: 18
    Big-play cornerback for the Golden Bears. Finished strong in 2005 and it has carried over to this season. Hughes has eight interceptions, tied for the most in Division I-A.

18. Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame (5-11½, 212) | previous: 22
    An aggressive ball hawk who brings a swagger to the Irish's defense. A true playmaker who also excels as a punt returner.

19. Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi (6-2, 235) | previous: 23
    Tackling machine with great football sense and diagnostic ability.

20. John Wendling, S, Wyoming (6-1, 220) | previous: 24
    He's a key performer on the Cowboys defense that ranks, statistically, as one of the best in the nation. Wendling can run under 4.40 in the 40-yard dash and has a 41-inch vertical leap. He's also one of the most intelligent players in all of college football.

21. David Harris, LB, Michigan (6-2, 240) | previous: 25
    Fast, strong and very productive, Harris has been one of the elite defensive players in the Big Ten this season.

23. Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn (6-3, 300) | previous rank: 21
    A versatile athlete who started his career at defensive tackle then shifted to tight end. Grubbs brings a great deal of athletic ability to the interior of the offensive line.

24. Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan (6-5½, 300) | previous: 13
    He's a former tight end who has developed into a natural left tackle. Staley brings incredible footwork, athleticism and agility to the position.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No Adrian Peterson?

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like signing Clements from Buffalo and drafting landry or merriweather from Miami.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I believe that Kipers only projects seniors or those that have already announced that they're coming out.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

You can forget the Texans drafting Merriweather after he was seen headstomping everyone during the brawl.

I think Adrian Peterson will be out of the Texans reach so they will have to look at Marshaw Lynch or Kenny Irons at RB. The Texans also need a OLB bad so Patrick Willis is a possibility.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Texans draft either DE Quinton Moses or DE Gaines Adams. Both are smaller quicker DE that could play the weakside DE position while Mario is on the strongside. The Texans could then move Weaver to DT.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't see Quinn being the #1 pick. I suspect he'll get the same treatment Leinart got and fall as we get closer to the draft.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You gotta think the Cardinals will have the #1 pick (I could seriously see them going 1-15) and they already have Leinart, obviously. Would they take AP at #1? Edge has been a bust for them this year, but so has their O-line.

As far as the Texans go, I'd like to see them take an OLB and a Safety early. A RB would help too.

I don't see that RB from Northern Illinois listed. Is he a SR? He's small, but he would seem to fit into the zone blocking scheme pretty well. Could he fall to us?

#7 ima_drummer2k, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've watched a lot of LSU football, and LaRon Landry is incredible. I'd be shocked if he drops to where the Texans pick, but if so, it's a no-brainer.

9. htownbball

htownbball Member

why not alan branch? gives mario a partner to rush the passer with so other teams cant double mario. also helps stop the running game. take a safety in the 2nd (reggie nelson) and an OLB in the 3rd. meriweather may drop to the 2nd, itd be stupid of us not to take him if he's there. remember, travis johnson was accused of rape while in college (charges dismissed), so the team has showed in the past that they might overlook off-field problems to a certain extent.

10. FranchiseBoi86

I go to Michigan and the general consensus is that Alan Branch is returning for his senior year. On the other hand, Leon Hall is blanketing all the opponent's number 1 receiver lately. I say we go ahead and draft a corner since we have no one other than Dunta to cover that spot.

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

We just got Petey back and the secondary looked alot better with him back there. Safety is a much bigger need than corner IMO.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I hope the Texans try to trade down. I'd like to see the Texans add 3 top 60 players to the defense.

13. FranchiseBoi86

I think Petey is more serviceable as a nickle back. The safety positions seem fine with Earl and Brown showing potential. We can probably fill up the depth there in the later rounds.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What is the consensus here on what number pick the Texans will get? I think 5-11 is their likely final record. (6-10 if they can beat @Oakland, Tennessee and Cleveland). That should be 6-8 pick, right?

Another way to look at this: The teams who have 3 wins or less are:

Buffalo Bills
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Washington Redskins

Miami Dolphins
    Oakland Raiders
    Cleveland Browns
    Tennessee Titans
    Arizona Cardinals
    Detroit Lions
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I think that Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Washington have "better" teams than the Texas. From this gessitimation, the Texans should get arounf the 8th pick.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Leonard Davis is a FA after this season, and I think the Cards will have a hard time holding onto him.

I'd love to target him and spend our 1st rounder on one of those nice run stopping DTs to compliment Mario, Weaver and TJohnson.

I'd spend our 2nd rounder on a CB and look for OGs and a diamond in the rough RB in the later rounds along with an OLB.

Thats my wish list.

16. codell

I think 7-9 or 8-8 is more realistic:

I think we'll take Buffalo, Cleveland and Tennesee at home and Oakland on the road. Thats 7 wins. The Jets game is wineable too IMO.

I'd be disappointed if they came out of this season with less than 7 wins.

17. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

IMO the Cardinals will probably take Joe Thomas (OT) from wisconsin since Davis is a free agent and they need some help on that line (the reason why Edge hasn't gotten more yards).

I personally like Alan Branch from Michigan (DT) if he declares. I think if Michigan wins the NC then he'll come out. If not I like his teammate Leon Hall (CB) who would help shore up the secondary. Personally I think the Texans should go defense with two of their first day picks, because thats where most of the holes on the team are currently. Although with the loss of Weigert yesterday, the team also needs help along the OL.

Garrett Wolfe (He is a senior) out of NIU is small but extremely quick and could find the seam when it opens, although with his small stature I doubt he could be an everyday back. He could get the Randle-El treatment and be used in a variety of positions on the field.

18. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

If we pick no one in free agency, we need another OL.

If that happens, my next pick would be a DB.

I think that we lack depth and personnel at those 2 the most. However, if AP was still there by the time we pick it would be tempting. I just don't see it happening. Can you guess why?

We also need another OLB.

I'm guessing that free agency and the first 2 picks will knock those out.

At least I hope so.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

RB,SS,FS,CB are a must in the offseason. RB only if they decide to give up on Davis or if Peterson is on the board when they pick.

20. codell

I have no concerns with Weigert being gone. If you get Davis (born in TX, went to TX), then you have Spencer and he as your bookends, with Winston and Salaam as your backups.

I am not as concerned with our secondary as some. Yes, we are not great, but they have been better lately because our pass rush is improving. If we can build a dominate DL (I think we are super DT away from having one), then our LB corps and DBs will be even better.

Really, these team has holes, but not very many. The team's youth just really needs time to improve and/or gel under Kubes.

I think next season will be our breakout year.