1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Early Draft Thoughts

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RocketFan007, Jan 27, 2001.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I believe that the Rockets pick will most likely be in the range of 10-15, and we will probably add Milwaukee's pick as well. So what you think of us packaging those two picks for a top 5, in hopes of landing a center like Woods. Woods would bring exactly what the new look Rockets are looking for defense, shot blocking, and rebounding. Too good to be true? I sure hope not.

------------------

2. Steve_Francis_rules

I don't think we really have a chance of getting woods. I don't know if he'll be that great of an NBA center anyway.

------------------

3. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

The Rockets don't need a great center. We need someone who rebounds. Period. A Hall of Fame center is not what we are looking for, and I think the Rockets should put all of their eggs in one basket this year to try moving up to get a center. We are not going to get the chance to draft this high in a long time.

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

aelliott-While Woods isn't a Dennis Rodman on the boards, he's better than the stats say. This is one of the effects of the zone defense that most colleges utilize. I watched him on defense the entire game, and often he'd go out to the perimeter on defense, with his good footwork and speed. He needs to get stronger, but from what I saw, he wasn't not getting rebounds due to being boxed out. He also has Michael Wright on his team that's a very good board guy, and there's 4 other people on his team averaging 4 rebounds or more. Compare that to Ken Johnson, who has only 1 teammate averaging 4 or more.

On defense, I see Woods very comparable to KG but a little taller-long, lean frame, quick feet, can guard just about anyone, but like KG did in his first year or so, needs to get stronger. He can get pushed around a LOT, so I expect him to possibly fall out of the top 3. The Rockets are very good at bulking up people (Cato, and even Rogers added some muscle this offseason), so if Woods happened to fall into our lap via trade or luck, I'd be pretty happy.

If Mihm had toughness questions, it'll be interesting to see how Woods' toughness holds.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

5. Smoke

Smoke Member

If we trade KC and loose Dream, next year we'll have a big hole to fill in the middle. If we make the playoffs, we loose our own #1 pick. Even if we have a pick to add to the Bucks pick, I don't think it will be enough to swing a top 5 pick. Here are a few guys that should be available for the pick from the Bucks.

Jarron Collins
    19G 520 MIN 13.6PPG 6.8RPG 36OFF 93DEF 129TOT 27AST 12STL 8BLK 26TO 41PF
    He and his twin brother,Jason, scored 18 each over Maryland . Jason has even more rebounds, 156, and blocks, 18, in less minutes, 455.

Ken Johnson
    20G 582MIN 11.8PPG 6.9RPG 41OFF 97DEF 138TOT 17AST 8STL 84BLK 44TO 46PF

After the trade deadline, we could end up with a totally different draft outlook, but I don't think we will find our "monster on the boards", in the draft. Then again, I didn't think we'd end up with Steve either.
    Miracles do happen.

------------------
    " If all babies are cute, why are there so many ugly people?"

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Woods would bring exactly what the new look Rockets are looking for defense, shot blocking, and rebounding.

Actually if you're looking for a rebounder, then Woods isn't your man. Woods is only averaging 6.8 reb/game. That's considerably less than the numbers that Cato (8.4) and Collier (9.2) put up in their final year in college.

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited January 28, 2001).]

7. Live

Live Member

Great point about the Collins twins, they're both good prospects that would fit in well.

I especially like Jason (#34, I think that's Jason). He looks like he's a solid 6'11-7', 260 C, and looks like he's a pretty good athlete. Nobody on that team really shoots a whole lot given their system, but he seems to have a few post moves and is solid on the boards.

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston