1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Earl Boykins

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by carayip, Jan 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. carayip

carayip Member

He's torching Jason Kidd. Impressive.

2. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Yeah, not only that but I'm really surprised at how well the Warriors are playing. Musselman must be a really good coach, cuz they had the same team last year and were the pits.

3. bullardfor3

bullardfor3 Member

Incredible. It's amazing how much of an impact that this little guy is having. I like how the announcers kept comparing him to a closer in baseball. Kinda like scotty brooks for the rockets back in the day. Except this guy is a better shooter.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I guess Steve is not the only one who got burned by shorty. He did the same thing to Lakers yesterday and did it against Kidd today. 20 plus points in both games.

5. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

He's making the Warriors believe and that's not something that's easy to do. It's good to see him make it...great story!!

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why did we not get him. Rudy knows him well from the Olympics, I think.

7. dn1282

dn1282 Member

hard to believe that other teams abandoned him...guess he gets the last laugh now.

The way he made Derek Fisher look like a fool the other day actually made a team like Golden State fun to watch. What about Earl Boykins for "best kept secret"?

Guess he's not much of a secret anymore...

8. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

:eek: seems he's got springs on his legs

And this is become a disturbing trend: a lowly ranked team plays better after beating the Rockets......

9. dn1282

dn1282 Member

trend? I don't see one.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not to take anything away from Boykins, but Kidd score 41 points on his ass, too.

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

One reason you GS won't succeed with Boykins as the starter. I mean how hard will it be for 6 foot plus guards to score against a 5'3" guard? Off the bench he would be fine as an energy guy, but definitely not starter material. He might score around 12-15 every game, but will give up twice as much to most guards.

12. moomoo

moomoo Member

Boykins = [​IMG]

13. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Also one reason he's able to succeed is the zone. I think Stein of ESPN wrote an article last week about how they can hide Boykins with the zone, a luxury Bogues or Webb didn't have. But he's not projected to be the starter...Mussleman even talks about him being their "closer" and he's been just that. Sixth man of the year award?? Like Amare for ROY, he's certainly made a lot of noise in that department since Dec.

14. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

The Warriors don't play much zone. It's just that amazingly, no team so far has been able (or, for the most part, even tried) to punish GS much by posting up Boykins.

As Boykins himself noted after his first few games, for most teams, having the PG post up takes them out of their offense.

Boykins has been susceptible on the perimeter, though -- perhaps it's because he's too interested in sniffing out possible steals elsewhere, but his man usually seems to be wide open when opponents rotate the ball. And Boykins can't exactly "close out" on a shooter very well at his height.

Overall, though, I can only recall two games where Boykins specifically got torched badly... by Rod Strickland the first time he faced Minnesota, and by Stephon Marbury (for part of a game, until Musselman switched to have Earl guard Casey Jacobsen instead).

15. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Yeah...when I mentioned him, no one cared!!!!

Anyways, he won't post up. He's too quick. But I guess people aren't. He is very good. He is an excellent shooter. That is why he made it. I think he is very good. He might be better than some of the taller guards.

16. carayip

carayip Member

Kidd didn't score all his 41 pts on Boykins. And Boykins made big shots at the end of the game which IMO was more important than all of Kidd's 41 pts.

I've noticed in many GSW games that while Boykins is not a starter, he's usually their go-to guy in the 4th quarter.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

picked him up about a week ago along with Rafer Alston on my fantasy squad.

little guy is listed at 5'5" 133 lbs, and he is producing BIG numbers.

I nicknamed him "Bilbo" Boykins!

BILBO FOR SIXTH MAN OF THE YEAR!!

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He is becoming one of my fav. players. I used to love watching him in college at Eastern Michigan whenever they were on TV. He was one of the best dribblers I've ever seen coming out of college. I've seen him fall flat on his chest while still dribbling the ball, and keep driblling while on the ground and continue to dribble while getting up! He said he used to practice with a tennis ball, that's why he's so good.

#18 Two Sandwiches, Jan 25, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2003
  19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Edit: Double post....Admin. please delete.

#19 Two Sandwiches, Jan 25, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2003
  20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steve Nash did this as well...I think it is a common tactic to help improve players' dribbling abilities.