1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Earbuds/Earphones recommendations?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dsnow23, Oct 31, 2006.

1. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I just got a new mp3 player and the earbuds aren't very good (Just like the rest of my earbuds). So, I'm considering buying some Sennheiser cx-300s or Creative ep-630s. I use them mostly at the gym. I want something portable that sounds good and doesn't have a super short cord. I'm 6'2". . Anyone have any recommendations? I also don't want to spend more than $50 or so.

2. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I have a pair by Philips that I like. Fairly comfortable, and very noise canceling, which is a must.

3. FrontRowJoe

FrontRowJoe Member

I've recently bought a new set of Sennheiser headphones to replace my worn out pair of Sennheisers. Both have been the best headphones I've ever heard. I've never tried their earbuds, but based on personal experience and reputation, I'd go with the Sennheisers in a heartbeat.

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Do some research here.

5. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

I have some Seinhesseirs (sp?) and absolutely love them.

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For earbuds I use Shure, for over the ear cans I have Sennheiser.

Any of the Shure E series is over your budget retail but you might be able to find some (new) E2c's on ebay within your budget.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I need some new ones...I've gone thru about 4 pair so far from working out...

8. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

If you want a really great bargain for you buck you need to get the Koss Plugs. http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^eb^PLUG They are very cheap and still work very well IMO. Cancel out almost all outside noise plus have a great bass boost to really pump you up while your at the gym. I have been using them for years plus they have a life time warranty. For the price you canĀ“t beat them.

P.S. If you want a really good price get them from Amazon or some other site. I got my last pair for gifts for only $4.95.

9. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

Koss KSC35. i got a pair for 20 bucks shipped over ebay. check them out, they are absolutely amazing for the price, most audiophiles recommended them for extreme budgets.

10. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Sennheiser CX300 although I don't like the J shape, the sound is great.

11. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I've been using Bose headphone for 5 years.. the sound quality is superb. The only problem is that it has been broken 3 times because of the plastic material that holds the earphone. The good thing is they always replace it with brand new. And it's pricey.

12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

What are they called? How much are they? Are they earbuds or over the head earphones?

13. VesceySux

You poor guy. I'm so sorry.

14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

15. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Don't be. I don't regret buying it.. I enjoy music only with Bose.

16. dsnow23

I have some Grado SR60s for home. They are awesome for everything except extremely low frequencys. Not any good for places that have lots of ambient noise such as airplanes though.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into the Kosses as well.

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 457's for like 30 bucks shipped to my house. Not made for running but sound better than cheap Koss (which my dad has), whatever model the $50 dollar sony's walmart sells... and is comfy to boot. Important if you have big ears like I do.

But... If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just stick my $#%@ in the mashed potatoes.

18. VesceySux

So do I, and I love 'em. They're not that portable, though, and look kind of retro funky.

For my iPod, I've currently got a pair of Altec Lansing im716 headphones. I really do like them, but I also sort of miss my old pair of Etymotic Er6i's. The Etys were more precise with music and didn't require a lot to drive 'em, unlike the Altec Lansings. However, the bass on the Altec Lansings is much better, and music has more punch. At any rate, I might try either a Shure or Ultimate Ears set of IEM headphones next.

Um, ok. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. As an ardent Bose hater, I still stand by my original statement, though.

19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I currently use the sony fontopias. several good models raning from 20-30 bucks.

They come with different sized rubber ear pieces to fit your ear and they seal pretty well to keep outside noise off and stay in place while I'm working out. Good for running and the cord is pretty long. I'm 5'10" but have a long torso and I still have to wrap it up a bit to shorten the cord. Bass is good when the seal is good so it's important to wear the right sized rubber ear pieces. Usually Amazon sells them for the lowest price.

20. dsnow23

I ended up buying Creative ep 630s. They sound great and they were only $30 plus shipping. They wouldn't be good for running though. I don't think any (in ear) earphone would be though because you can hear the wires bumping your body, etc. Even without the earphones being plugged in. The wires on the ep 630s are the same length on both sides and the cord isn't too long and isn't too short. I'm 6'2 and many earbud cords are too short for me. They came with 3 different sized adapters and surprisingly, they're all comfortable to me. Sound good with every kind of music i've played so far. Way more bass than any earbuds I've ever listened to.