1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

E3 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jun 5, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

It is a bit early (E3 doesn't start until next week), but Konami is having a pre-E3 show tomorrow (around noon central IIRC) to show off MGS5, along with some other games (e.g., new Castlevania).

With this being the first (and last) E3 for the PS4 and Xbox One before launch, it should be a pretty interesting show. MS will have their event on Monday (I forget the exact time, but probably 10AM-12PM range), and Sony will have their event later that night. I don't believe Nintendo will have a traditional show, but they will do a E3 Nintendo Direct event on Tuesday I believe. Square-Enix has a Final Fantasy event on Tuesday IIRC, and I'm sure there will be other shows throughout the week.

Online buzz hasn't been very positive towards the Xbox One, but it sounds like MS will focus a lot on games this E3, so that could quickly change. Talk of Mirror's Edge 2, Respawn's new game, Dead Rising 3, and more showing up. More specifics on their DRM should hopefully be provided (maybe altered a bit given the negative buzz).

Sony's been pretty quiet, but they also need to address any DRM the PS4 might implement (think I saw something about using RFIDs on discs or something). They've stated it doesn't require the Internet (unlike Xbone), but that doesn't mean some form of DRM won't be used (and they've avoided outright denying it before). While PS4 buzz has been pretty positive, they still have a lot to show. Little of the OS has been shown, so it remains to be seen if it can compete with the Xbone in that category. Then there's the box itself.

Couple recent rumors I've seen:

-MS is having some manufacturing problems with their system (specifically yield issues with the eSRAM). Might have to down-clock some parts, increase the console's price, and/or delay the system to help deal with this. Talk about them being caught off-guard by Sony. Xbone is already at a pretty decent performance disadvantage, so if there is a downgrade, it will be interesting to see how that plays out. FWIW, this seem like a strong rumor (multiple "trusted" insiders have confirmed it). While the two systems use similar components, PS4 doesn't have eSRAM, so they likely won't be affected by this (MS really lost the bet on their system design since the eSRAM doesn't really add much, and seems to be causing some headaches).

-Kind of merging two things together, but MS is reportedly making a lot of deals with 3rd party studios. To secure exclusives (which makes sense), and another rumor states they're trying to get 3rd party studios to only show Xbone versions of games at E3 (no PS4). The latter sounds kind of silly to me, but I wouldn't put it past the industry I guess.

Let's see what The Final Bosman thinks:
    <div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:gametrailers.com:1a185ec9-2cec-46c5-a512-e84fb993cb01" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/shows/the-final-bosman">The Final Bosman</a></b></p></div></div>

2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Interesting rumors with interesting implications...

Some of the things I'm looking forward to:
    1. Price drop announcements for PS3 and possibly WiiU
    2. Nintendo's plans for WiiU
    3. Any current-gen projects.

I've always stayed current with video games, but all the nonsense about Xbox One has really discouraged me. I plan on sticking it out with the current gen for at least another year. After seeing the review for Last of Us, I'll be shopping for a PS3. The PS3's exclusives will keep me entertained until I feel comfortable buying a next-gen product.
    One thing that would lure me into the WiiU would be Wind Waker HD...

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm going to miss G4; they would have wall to wall coverage of this event. It's all on spiketv now (if you don't want to watch on the internet), but I find their coverage pretty bland and boring.

4. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Come check out my game ChronoBlade in the OUYA game lot across the street from the convention center during E3!

5. Raven

Raven Member

Video games are no longer about playing the game, they're about the money making scheme that the game is built around. That has put a significant dent in my interest, because I'm just not willing to sink the same level of cash into the hobby as I once was. Once my aging four year old video card can no longer play the games I'm interested in, I'll just give up the hobby until I buy a new PC, which might not happen for years.

1 person likes this.
  6. YourSecretLover

For a couple of years now, E3 has severely disappointed me. I just accept the fact that its for casual gamers instead of focusing on 'core'.

Most likely looking forward to Microsoft's conference, it's make or break for them.

7. Awesome

Awesome Member

I believe they did address the DRM thing already and reiterated it a week or two ago

It was something they happened to mention like when this PS4 info first came out

8. rawool

rawool Member

What about consoles?

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Will be interesting to see how Microsoft reacts to all the negative press

10. RC Cola

Don't know if you're talking about Sony or MS here, but I don't think either have clarified their exact positions. Even have this new article stating an analyst's opinion that neither will clarify their positions during E3:
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-sony-unlikely-to-clarify-used-games-policies

MS has been all over the place. Sony has said some things which sound good, but they don't outright deny some form of DRM. "You can play used games on PS4" seemed like a good, specific answer, but then again, Xbone can play used games too (just as long as you pay a fee). I'm assuming Sony is just leaving it up to publishers, but it isn't really clear given their previous comments. We just know it won't be like what MS is doing (not exactly anyway).

11. RC Cola

Leak for Respawn's game:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578141

Also, reminder that Konami's conference starts in a little under 4 hours from now.

edit: Some details coming in on Respawn's game in the thread. As rumored (same sources that confirmed the stuff I said earlier), the game is a Xbox exclusive (sounds like Respawn developing XBOne and PC version, 360 port coming from another team).

#11 RC Cola, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  12. RC Cola

Konami conference was supposed to be live I think, but you can actually "fast-forward" through it at Gamespot (fail?):
    http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=konami-pre-e3-show-2013

Kiefer Sutherland is the voice of Snake, as suspected. "A friend of mine used to voice Snake, but Kiefer is in a class of his own." Ouch.

Not sure there was really anything new for the game though...

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I wish I could go to E3 :(. We should make a clutchfans media page so we can get in!

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WiiU really has to shock the crowd and create some excitement or things could get really ugly for them

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is true man. I didn't realize it, but it's true. I don't play games as much, assumed it was because I'm aging, busier, still have a social life. And that is true but if the games were still good I'd be playing them more often. That's just not the case lately. I don't want to share anything on Facebook or pay for new levels or uniforms, games are getting bogged down by features and modes that nobody cares about.

16. Cokebabies

1 person likes this.
  17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

18. cdain3

cdain3 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drive club :eek:

19. Cokebabies

Let me rephrase, this is the announcement for the game that I am working on. No I'm not Dave Jones. He's from Scotland so he's not much of a Rockets fan. =P

20. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

phantom pain!!!!