1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dynamo] Could the Dynamo attract Henry?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BasketballReasons, Oct 30, 2009.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Hey everyone! With recent news that Thierry "Titi" Henry could be leaving Barcelona this winter/summer, I was wondering what you guys thought the chances of luring him to Houston where?

Here's my explanation:

Back in 2007, Thierry Henry was asked here what he thought of the arrival of Beckham in the MLS, but also, what he thought of the USA in general and the development of soccer.
    For the Dynamo, New York could be an issue..

Recently, Henry's name has been mentionned a lot in the European soccer press and he could possibly leave for the MLS this winter/summer. Here is an article in french about it.
    So my question is, what would it take, but also, is it possible to lure Henry to the Dynamo, considering that his best friend is Tony Parker (lives in SA not so far from Houston), and that he is without doubt still one of the best strikers in the world, and IMO would make a way bigger impact than Beckham (who basically can just give you a nice center). Don't forget that Henry is still the starting striker for the french national team. The man is still the real deal.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Is it possible? Sure. Highly unlikely, though. If Henry is coming over, it's going to be to one of the higher profile teams...such as NYRB. That said, I believe NYRB have used their exemption on Juan Pablo Angel, so they might have to make a trade or move Angel in order to bring in Henry.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If he comes to the US, I doubt it will be this early. He is still a very good player in Europe. Maybe in like 5 years

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't we use are player exemption on Landin? If not, we should make a push for him but the team would probably go for a Mexican league superstar being so close geographically/fanbase and all.

5. leroy

I think you can trade for a 2nd one.

6. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

As another poster said, Henry is still pretty dang good. I agree that it would be at least a few years before he would/could/should make a move to MLS.

That said, I would guess that he would prefer NYC or LA. If he can get past that, we have been the best club in MLS over the past few seasons, and he would get the opportunity for extra competitions CONCACAF, SuperLiga, etc. if that is what he wanted.

My ultimate guess is that no, the Dynamo do not have a chance to get Henry.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

For all those of you saying that he's "too good" still to be coming to the MLS, was Beckham not "too good" when he came a year ago? I thought he was. But he just flatly fell on his face and sucked a huge sack of... well, he just was totally bad enough to keep LA in the basement of the standings. Injury after injury, Beckham continued to suck. He still sucks now... and don't come back with no stats saying he doesn't, because there's nothing to say he is better this year, aside from just not being hurt or being a crybaby about going back to Milan.

I would say NO to Henry, though. He wouldn't fit on our system. :eek:

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No, Henry is considered significantly better right now than Beckham was when he came over. I don't think Beckham was even a starter when he decided to come over here.

9. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Dynamo are strapped and they have to resign Holden so I would highly doubt getting another big name. They are lucky that Landin's Contract came on cheap too.

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Actually I believe he was in Don Capello's bad books at the time at Real Madrid but Becks rushed(IMHO) into signing with MLS and then by the time he left Madrid he was a started and basically showing more heart on the field and as much ability as any other Madrid player in leading them back up to the top of La Liga.

11. ferrari77

First off, It won't happen. Even if the 2nd DPlayer is added when the CBA is renewed and if Dplayers don't count against the cap. Henry won't be looking at any team in the South, despite his friendship with TP.

With regards to your statement on Becks, I dunno how much you actually watch MLS but to say Becks fell bad and was terrible is utterly stupid and bordeline ignorant. The guy was injured his entire first season in MLS, barely had a break between seasons and then came to MLS and was hampered by his injury. To say he kept LA in the basement is just as stupid. Alexi Lalas' majestic trades and off the field decisions helped keep LA in the basement more than anything else.

Since you don't want stats, how bout you go ask any MLS GM(Not just Bruce Arena) or other players around the league. The guy is playing some of his best football and the sad part is he's not even playing at that high a level. When he returns to Milan, if you can go watch him live do so. The first thing my buddy in Milan said upon visiting the US last month and watching Becks play with the Galaxy was that Becks is playing well but he's also playing down to the level of his teammates. The only Galaxy player on his level ability wise as well as intellectually on the football field is Donovan. When both of them are at their best it's great to watch. Nonetheless, the reason the Galaxy are in the playoffs is because they finally have a TEAM.

12. SwoLy-D

So you're saying he was GREAT when he wasn't injured? Don't make me laugh, sir. He still sucked. So he gets injured... is that the excuse now?

:eek: Also, why does he have to come DOWN to other teammates' level? Shouldn't his teammates come UP to his level? FAIL.

Also, Donovan couldn't be playing at Beckham's level of anything if he wanted to. This year, maybe Beckham is much better, but Landon won't try to do the Europe thing again. He'd play in Mexico before going to Europe to fail once more.

Landon in Europe, on the other hand... that's a joke...

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Holden is gonna go to Europe soon imo, he is not gonna be in Houston much longer.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree about with this, unfortunately. Holden should become a mainstay on the USMNT and his talents have developed really nicely in the MLS. And that's the bad part about being a MLS fan: you watch these great players develop and then see them go off to Europe where the best competition is.

The Dynamo could have some serious issues if, as might be expected, Stuart Holden and Ricardo Clark bounce to Europe in the offseason.

15. leroy

Clark is already gone (after this postseason, anyway). If Holden follows, next season could be tough. However, I have complete confidence in Dom and the rest of the front office to find a more than competent replacement.

16. SwoLy-D

Why do you all speak about these players "already leaving" as if it is a DONE DEAL? :confused: Clark AND Holden BOTH leaving for Europe? Why and for what? Why do you all talk about any player being good is FOR SURE leaving to some European no-name team... to sit on their bench not playing like Altidore? I don't get it.

17. leroy

Because all reports are that Ricardo Clark has already signed a deal with Livorno and will join them during the winter transfer period in January. The talk about Holden is just speculation that he could be the next Dynamo to end up in Europe.

18. SwoLy-D

:D He will sit on the bench. LOL!

Yeah, I can speculate that Onstad will leave for Europe, too. :rolleyes: But you know he won't.

19. ferrari77

As mentioned, because Clark has ALREADY signed with a team in Europe and Stuart has the desire to return to Europe sometime in the future and without passport issues he has it easier than most. I'm guessing you're just tryin to be silly but if not I fear for you.

20. ferrari77

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. When he wasn't injured at the start of last season, (If you actually watched more than a handful of Galaxy games) he was on top of his game, and same with this season.

Don't be that stupid, he plays in the MLS, yes his teammates should come up to his level but you can't wave a magic wand and increase the skill level, talent and mental aptitude on the pitch of one's teammates.

Actually Donovan is one of only a handful of players that can play at Beckhams level so try to be objective and not think like a biased El Tri supporter if you can.

Lastly, I made no mention of Donovan or Europe for him so get your stuff right but if he did decide to, I don't remember but somehow I don't think all the national leagues in Europe are on equal footing in terms of difficulty but if you think so then you need to watch a bit more footy.