1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwights best strategy - opt in

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htowngenius, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Thompson is not that good. I would definetly take Dwight over him.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this is absolutely ridiculous...

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Orlando could offer the same no state tax as well. And we'll just have to disagree....no chance he gets less than $13-14m per.

4. Rox>Mavs

Also keep in mind there's a crap load or cap space this offseason and only a finite number of FA's. The shift in economics make pretty much every current nba contract lesser compared to what can be signed for from now on.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

you would take thompson over dwight?

6. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I keep telling people I think he is staying. People forget that Dwight left 20+ million on the table to come here from LA. If I was him I would not do that again. It's a individual business decision for him, screw the what the Rockets want. From a Rocket point of view it could be the best way for the Rockets to get rid of him and get some back(via trading a expiring contract) especially if we are ignored in free agency.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He will get more guaranteed money by opting out, maybe not 20m a year but 15 at 4 years is still 60m guaranteed vs 22m here.

DD

8. munco

munco Member

$12-$13 mil/year??? what are you guys talking about. he's going to be in the $20 mil range. cap is exploding and he's still a top player

9. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Needs of this team (for us fans) outweigh the needs of one player, especially a malcontent as Howard. D12's best strategy, as OP mentioned, is to indeed opt-in. But we would strongly dislike him for doing just that because it would mess up our hopeful cap situation plans for the off-season (yeah, I know, how many cans will get kicked down the road this time).

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He wont' opt-in. There are teams out there that will shell out the money for him.

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

You have to factor in market demand as well. How many above average centers on the market this summer?

With the league gearing to shooting more 3 pointers, how many teams still feature a center into their system?

These all will affect Dwight value this summer.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

that's called wishful thinking , he is about to net 100M /4 years , and that's still less than his fair market value, he should become heavyweight Boxer and net something like 160M/year

13. Rox>Mavs

Lol we've got some saying as low as $12m and as high as $25m. This offseason with the cap space + dwights level of play + the shifting market for centers has everyone estimating with a wide range. Still think $17m per is about right for 3-4 years.

14. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Look at the team's interested, Dallas, Charlotte, Orlando to name a few.

No state income tax obviously in Dallas/Orlando, cost of living much cheaper in Charlotte.

You think Cuban won't overpay to keep Dirk happy and in town? Forget 3 for 50 I think 3 for 60 is a given and wouldn't rule out 4 for 80

15. Rox>Mavs

I could totally see cubes overpaying given their situation with dirk. It only takes one idiot to overpay....and that might just be Cuban.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why would be team sign a physically declining, likely damaged, player for more than 2 years?

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

A lot of players are going to be overpaid this summer. JVG and Mark Jackson were talking about Delly getting $10 million a year. With all his warts, Dwert will still get twice that much.

18. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Exactly. I may get ridiculed for this, but I could easily see him opting in then retiring after next season. Yes I said it! His body is declining and based on his body language lately, his will seems to be broken.

19. Rox>Mavs

Why would they? To get him to play for their team for the two years he can still play. He may be declining and is no longer elite, but he's still a center that can rebound the ball. They might not get as much out of him in the third year but that's the price to get him there first. If his agent is doing his job right then he'll get 3 years even if it means less money per year.

#39 Rox>Mavs, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  20. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I think this would be true in normal markets, but given that the cap is jumping this offseason, and another jump the following offseason, followed by a possible decrease the season after, some teams might be tempted to offer shorter contracts for more money. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team give him a 2 year deal for $65M with a team option on the third. His agent would counter with a player option on the third, but a smart team wouldn't bite unless the third year is for a lot less money.