1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Math, Scola Amnesty Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 12, 2012.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

...or until the Rockets officially renounce his rights, which I do not believe they have done (at least not according to any press release).

Eric Gordon's offer sheet was matched over 24 hours ago, and the Suns have since made additional moves (amnestying Josh Childress, claiming Scola off amnesty waivers, etc.). Yet there is still no official word that Dragic has actually signed his contract with Phoenix.

We all know Dragic's in Vegas. Clutch even has pictures of him talking with McHale.

So, what gives?

The single most likely reason is just that the Suns, Dragic and his agent haven't yet had the chance to officially sign the paperwork.

But it's also possible that the Rockets approached Dragic and the Suns (perhaps in person in Vegas) with a proposal that, if the parties simply waited until the Rockets used up their cap room to do a sign-and-trade for Dragic, there may be a second round pick in it for Phoenix.

I could envision a dual sign-and-trade, funny enough, of Dragic for Aaron Brooks. With the Suns under the cap, there would be no BYC issues for them on Brooks. And the Rockets could possibly pay Brooks little enough to make the cap math work for the BYC issues with Dragic.

Or, the Rockets could get a $3.25-4.25 million trade exception (50% of Dragic's actual starting salary), which could be used to take on a contract like Chris Duhon's in a Dwight Howard trade.

I'm not saying that it WILL happen. Just that it COULD happen.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I've just been giving a bunch of half-ass answers lately haven't I?

;)

3. BimaThug

Supporting Member

No, man. You're doing just fine. I only added that clarification to lead into my overall point about a possible (although perhaps improbable) Dragic sign-and-trade deal.

By no means am I trying to be a smartass. I guess I just can't help it. ;)

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't reading.

All of these teams except one (Detroit) had a foundational player that started their career with the team.

Miami: Wade
    SA: Duncan
    Boston: Pierce
    Lakers: Kobe
    Dallas: Dirk
    Chicago: Jordan
    Houston: Hakeem
    Boston: Bird
    L.A: Magic
    Detroit: Isaiah

In fact you have to go back all the way to 1983 to Philadelphia - 29 years ago - to find another team that did not have a foundational piece through the draft.

And Kobe was through the draft - I find it a ridiculous argument that he was "traded" for. Picks are traded all the time but the Lakers still went through the draft and made Charlotte draft Kobe for them.

Now, if 28 out of 30 years are a result of a major foundational piece from the draft - how do you tell me that I am full of it????

If over 90% of the time, champions are built with already one superstar in hand, not with none. I think I stand on a pretty firm ground here.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, history is worthless. Tell that to Germany in 1946 after they lost the same way Napoleon did.

When 28 out of 30 times something happens, you better pay attention or you are setting yourself up for foolery. In statistics we call that convincing. I guess in fantasy land it is something else :rolleyes:

Let's just make up all sorts of hypothetical situations why don't we? Why don't we say it is possible for a team to get 3 max contracts if they have no players - and that said 3 players - superstars mind you, would all be available simultaneously and decide to pick a city NONE OF THEM CURRENTLY PLAY IN as a destination. Let's ignore that it's never happened in the NBA. Let's just pretend it might happen, there for we should ignore the 28 out of 30 and just say, hey, let's just build us a champion in a way that no one has ever done before, by signing 3 max players.

Never mind that

A) There are not 3 super stars in FA available. There are 0
    B) That we don't have max cap space
    C) That Acquiring howard would require us to max our space out for at least the next year.

So before you respond again, please really think through your argument, because this is a waste of my time.

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Wow, that's very kind of you. Much appreciated.

My sum cell indeed was the problem here.
    Due to the mass trades and the constant back and forth of adding and deleting cells, a couple of the cells mistakenly got added to the sum twice.
    'My' numbers now match yours. Thank you very much.

7. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Bima - I have trying to figure this out - and maybe you have already touched on it - but with this Lin contract will it in any way effect our ability to offer 2 max contracts next summer.

I know the situation is fluid and it would depend on what is coming back from the Magic along with Howard.....but let's say we take 2 bad contracts. Does that still put us in position to make such offers next season.

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Depends on WHICH contracts come back. If Rockets get Lin, Asik and make Howard trade, then no, they probably won't have max cap room after re-signing Howard. Might still be possible with Lin but no Asik, but I'm not sure.

I'm still thinking that New York matches on Lin, though.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Are you? Do you think Knicks sources and players telling reporters so emphatically that Lin won't be matched is just a smokescreen?

I have a gut feeling that might be the case, but I'm not sure whether it's rational or just my pessimistic Houston sports fan heart doing its thing.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm with Bima. I think the Knicks will keep Lin. They may have had an initial anger and I'm sure the players hate the idea of matching the contract. In the end I think the Knicks will make what is in my opinion a mistake and gamble and match. The problem I see for them is that if Lin doesn't play great for them they'll want to dump him. I think they believe that won't be hard. I think they are wrong.

11. Toothless_Texan

@ BimaThug & Rockets2K
    thanks for the helpful information

12. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Seconded!! When all this clears up I can't wait to see the Rockets cap situation for next season.

To me, the only chance we have to resign Howard (assuming we get him) is to have that second max contract to offer one of his buddies. Probably Josh Smith as I think Chris Paul would require a S&T (which J. Lin might be helpful in if he plays up to expectations).

13. stephenoa

stephenoa Member

If NYK elect not to match Lin's offer sheet, what will the dynamics of trading Lin going forward be. I'm reallly murky on how these poison pill contracts effect the cap. In the last year of his deal will he be a 14+ million expiring for matching purposes?

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

With Lin in the fold and the Bulls allegedly not matching Asik (see other threads), what kind of deal is feasible for Dwight and one contract? Morey is clearly letting it be known (through sources) that even if both Lin/Asik are Rockets, it doesn't affect the Howard deal. So I'm curious what the math is and how much room we'd have left.

Howard and either Richardson or Davis would be roughly $25 mil in outgoing salary from Orlando. Martin, Patterson and Morris (hypothetically) would be roughly $17 mil in outgoing salary from Houston. Picks and unsigned rookies are nothing. From there, it gets tricky since all the newly-acquired "Confederate money" players can't be traded in a combination deal until October, if I understand correctly.

If Asik joins, how much cap room do we have left to absorb the difference? And is there anything I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

15. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Maybe trade Livingston for Jrich straight up while cutting Fortson+Simpson+someone else. So that trade keeps us just below the cap (while retaining CLee bird rights). Then trade Martin+PPat+Morris+Gsmith+picks for Dhoward and Glen Davis.

16. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Is there an update out there for this now including Lin? When this was originally done, it assumed both Lin and Asik were matched. Now we have Lin and the assumption is Chicago won't match, we amnestied Scola, and we waived 2 people.

Just curious what we have left to play with under the cap and our current position.

Thanks

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger
    Non-guaranteed contracts of Moore, Williams almost certainly involved -- would push Yr 1 salary to ~$4.2M

So with the Lee trade today, I'm guessing we are continuing to hoard non-guaranteed contracts to go over the salary cap and do an over the cap trade for Dwight and Orlando's bad contracts. That way, we can use the "150% rule." If this is so, then can't we add up the contracts we can send out (i.e. Martin, Patterson, Morris and the non-guaranteed contracts), apply the 150% rule, and extrapolate which ones we will be taking back (that is, if the offer is accepted by Orlando)?