1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard wants trade to Brooklyn by draft night

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by desi tmac91, Jun 21, 2012.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Lebron caused Cleveland's recession and ended Miami's.... How selfish!!!!

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

i don't care where howard goes i just don't want him on the lakers

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

God I agree...just freaking not the Lakers...

4. rocketsmetalspd

Let DH go to the Nets. I am sure DW will end staying if DH gets his wish to be traded to the Nets. I can't wait to see what really happens on draft night. How many trades really go down? I would say less than 5.

5. HorneR

HorneR Member

I'm tired of his ****. At least BronBron knew what he wanted and went for it, regardless of how he went about it.

Is it bad that I really don't even want him at this point?

6. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

What I haven't read on this thread yet is that even though Dwight has made his preferred destination known to management, he really doesn't have a say where he is traded to.

As mentioned earlier is that the Nets offer could easily be trumped by a team willing to rent Howard. If they were willing to rent Howard before, why wouldn't they be willing to do it now after this news story which may or may not be true?

As reported by Clutch - Houston nearly traded for Dwight at the deadline which would have meant only 6 weeks for Houston to convince him to stay. If they get him on draft night they get a whole year to convince him.

So the best that the Nets could offer on draft night is:
    - Marshon Brooks
    - Anthony Morrow
    - Johan Petro
    - J. Williams
    - The Rockets 2013 top 14 protected 1st round draft pick.

The potential that Houston could offer is:
    - Kyle Lowry (or a pick that he is traded for)
    - Kevin Martin
    - Patrick Patterson
    - Marcus Morris
    - #14th Pick in the 2012 draft
    - #16th Pick in the 2012 draft
    - top 20 protected pick in the 2013 draft (Mavs)
    - Llull

You tell me, if you had decided that trading Howard on draft night was the best option (because you can pick up draft picks not the players that have already been picked - which you may or may not want) which offer is better?

My answer is = Houston's offer HANDS DOWN!

What is your answer?

7. opticon

opticon Member

There has been a changing of the guard in the NBA. The East has the toughest playoff road.

Playing in the west may be a tougher regular season schedule but going through the playoffs in the east is a fools errand for at least the next 2 seasons.

If D-12 has any sense he will go out west. He will actually have a Solid chance of getting to the finals coming out the west bracket. In the east he will be lucky to even make it to the conferences finals only to be slapped around by the Heat.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

There's less than a 1% chance Dwight ends up in Brooklyn next season. You guys that think Orlando is going to trade him there........you don't understand something. Orlando is either going to get an extension out of him or they are going to trade him to the team that offers them the best deal. Brooklyn simply can't do that on their own and there's only a very small chance they can do it by finding trading partners to pair up with them.

MOST LIKELY, DWIGHT'S 2012-13 DESTINY WILL BE DECIDED WITHIN THE NEXT 7 DAYS.

Here's the thing. If Dwight wants to decide where he's going to play, it's going to cost him. It's going to cost him major money over the balance of his career. Not just in his first 4 year deal but when you consider he's only 26 years old and is more than likely to sign two more long term contracts after this one, the money adds up big time over the long haul. That is why Dwight ideally wants to get to the team he wants to play for and then sign a 5-year deal with them and continue to extend so he gets all the money on the table.

People forget, Lebron, Bosh, and Wade all gave up millions of dollars to play together. In Lebron's case, he's the most globally marketable of the three, so he's the least one hurt monetarily. If Dwight really wants to play on that level, he either has to choose his destination and walk there or he has to accept a different destination than Brooklyn and let a good GM put the pieces around him.

9. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

This is also an example of the power of big markets like NYC. The Nets are awful, and what talent they do have will be gutted in a trade for Howard. Yet Dwight is still adamant on going there.

What he's done to the Magic, a championship contender just a couple years ago, is ridiculous. If I were the Magic, I might try to trade him to some small market piece of crap team out of spite.

10. Marteen

Marteen Member

The way this has come down to, I'd rather the team have the #14th pick again next year then have this guy play for them. I can't believe I'm saying that, but he's just immature.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Another example why I keep sayin 'screw this nutjob...'

Just say NO to divas! I'd rather try to do a championship Pistons style - with a buncha blue collar mid to lower level almost star types... but everybody insists we need a 'superstar'.... which is just reenforced by all those rings D12 has already collected... ;)

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Immature...sure. He's 26 years old.

Second best player in the NBA. YES! With plenty of time to mature.

I'd rather have an immature second best player in the NBA than the 14th pick, the 16 pick, and Lowry, Scola, Martin, Patterson, and Morris.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dallas thinks it’s 70-30 that Deron Williams will decide to re-sign with Brooklyn. Before you think that’s great news for the Nets, the Mavs haven’t given up on pursuing their favorite free-agent point guard.

14. Marteen

Marteen Member

What goes does it do if you only have him for 1 year? The whole dark atmosphere that Orlando is having would be brought here, because we would want him to stay. You're gonna trade almost half your roster for a guy who most likely will leave you. I'm on the fence about this.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If there was ANY sign that he would come here (even on a one year rental) and work... that's one thing....but who's to say he wouldnt come here and pull a Ron Harper ("trapped in prison") all season? He could do a fullblown diva thing for a year, disrupt chemistry, bring nothin but drama - and STILL get a max contract the next year from the team of his choosing!

and for those who say it would 'allow us' to tank... then save the assets u would trade for D12 and trade em for future unprotected picks..

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. I agree that renting Dwight Howard is a risk even considering the "if it doesn't work, you end up tanking for a high pick" angle. If you want to tank for a high pick, it's best to just trade your players and assets for future picks from other teams to maximize your "build from the draft" strategy.

2. Obviously, the point of "renting Dwight" is that you think that there is a good chance that it works out winning-wise. I think there are reasons to believe that it can work if you play your cards right.

Specifically, Dwight Howard already wasted a year of his life in 2011-12 getting beat up by fans and the media and not winning many games. I think he has enough pride as a human being not to waste another year of his life trying to get traded.

Besides, if Dwight Howard gets traded to a rental team. What will Deron Williams do? Stay in Brooklyn by himself hoping that Dwight can force a trade to NJ during the 2013 season (which didn't work in 2012)? Or does Deron sign with Dallas? If Deron leaves NJ, then where would Dwight Howard have to force his new team to trade him to? Not Brooklyn, for one thing. Also, even if you end up having to trade Dwight Howard in season to a more "desirable" team, you can probably get something valuable in return.

In the end, I think the key is to make sure that you don't give up too much for Dwight so that (a) you don't have enough talent to compete, (b) load yourself up with bad contracts, and (c) are left with no future draft picks. This way, you have a chance to convince him that he can win here and, if it doesn't work, you are not stuck in a horrible situation for too long.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Plenty of time to mature? He's been in the league for 8 years. He's been to the Finals. He's won several DPoYs. The fact that he HASN'T matured yet is a red flag.

And like another poster said, what good does it if Dwight decides to only stay for a year?

Best case scenario: we do enough (second round or WCF or Finals or championship) to convince him to stay.

Worse case scenario: we fluke, and do horrible; or, someone significant gets an injury on this team (even Howard himself) and we get the 14th pick again. Howard bails because in his mind, we can't do anything.

It shouldn't be like this, but basically, we're needing to appease / appeal to Howard and convince him to stay with a good season. Otherwise, he'll do what any superstar would: leave. Especially since he has even less loyalty for us than he did for the team that drafted him.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Yeah he's immature but
    This is a star driven league, if you have a chance to get one you do it. It's better than competing for the 14th pick for the 4th straight year.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Unless we get another star, I can't see us competing seriously for a championship.

I'm all for getting Howard, but we need a Gasol or someone else, as well.

If we get Howard, we'll be a slightly better version of the Orlando Magic, just in the WC.

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Yup, that's true. But, if DM went balls deep in this idea. I think he would cash in the rest of the "assets" and build a better supporting cast than we have now. Gasol could be acquired rather easily, even after sending some assets to Orlando. I'm not a GM so I can't say what his plan would be, but, I think if Daryl went all in on this Dwight idea we'd have a very good team in win-now mode.