1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard wants to stay in Orlando and add CP3/Ellis to the mix

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by davestrate, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Monte Ellis is a possibility for the Magic, MAYBE. MAYBE. Don't know how much of a difference he'd make for the Magic, though; and who would Orlando give up to get him?

CP3? Forget it.

The Knicks better not tank to get into the top 5, although Amar'e and his lingering "back issues" make me wonder.

2. cod

cod Member

Orlando Magic President and CEO Bob Vander Weide, who has served the organization in some capacity since 1992, has tendered his resignation effective immediately, reports Dave Pingalore of Orlando's WKMG news station, citing "sources." Alex Martins, the team's President, will take over for Vander Weide.

Vander Weide's departure comes abruptly and a critical time for the organization, which is trying to convince superstar center Dwight Howard not to leave in free agency in 2012.

Citing "sources," Jarrod Rudolph of RealGM reports Vander Weide made a late-night phone call to Howard "in recent days," and that he may have been "intoxicated" during the call.

Vander Weide is the son-in-law of Magic owner Rich DeVos. According to the team's website, his responsibilities as president and CEO include "player planning and procurement, long-term strategic planning, and new business initiatives." In addition, "Vander Weide is also very involved in all league issues and is a member of the NBA Board of Governors and the NBA Planning Committee."

LINK

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

cp3 and howard together would make orlando the #1 team in the east imo

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He wants Montae Ellis to pad his offensive rebounding stats... He aint fooling me...

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Ryan Anderson and Redick would benefit greatly from Paul's arrival... They would be tough to beat... But CP3 wants to be in the lights of the Big Rotten Apple

6. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

That would be good for Orlando. Young talent staying in Orlando! Unheard of!

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Monte, Mantae, Montay....always find it amusing how Americans can't spell names.

Don't know if Dwight will be able to stay in Orlando, Magic doesn't have ynthing to offer in exchange for CP3.

Definitely think they'll be on one team though, the possibility of the best PG&C in the league playing together as a duo can't be dismissed. I'm sure sme franchises will work their butts off to make it come true. These guys know they'd make a perfect core for possibly 3+ rings.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

D.mn I need the edit feature.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think they're right that a big acquisition like Chris Paul is the only way they keep Howard. But, I also don't see how they have the assets to do it.

As for NY tanking, that's just a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. To guarantee they keep that pick, they'd have to have the worst or second worst record in the league, and absolutely no better than 5th to not be completely living on prayer. And, they play in the highly bifurcated East and get to play ~3 games each against teams like the Bobcats and the Pacers. And, they'd have to do this with Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire (and their egos and reputations) on their roster in the most demanding and scrutinizing and critical city in the league. They just got Anthony and must now prove to NY -- and to 2012 free agents -- that they are going to be relevant again. And Denver just finished out a season strong without Anthony, making people wonder aloud if Anthony hurts his team despite all his talent. You think he wants to confirm that reputation in NY? No way they tank. Not even if the fix was in for a top-5 pick.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I hope you are right.

Rockets receive the Knicks' 2012 first-round pick (top 5 protected in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, if not conveyed by 2015 then the Rockets will receive the Knicks 2015 and 2016 second-round picks) (Tracy McGrady trade 02-18-10)

11. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I think they would still need a third scorer. Howard is a dominant center on defense, and Paul is a dominant defensive PG, but niether of them are dominant scorers. Aside from back door lob passes, I don't see what the two of them have to offer. Not like a Stockton-Malone or even Nash-Amare where the big man can pick and pop or roll for the lob. Also, Dwight Howard cannot create his own shot nor does he command a double team on the low block. All that said, I wouldn't mind having both on my team. I just think Lowry is better than Paul for the price. Just like Scola is better than Bynum or a David West for the price. Not better players, just better value/bang for buck.

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Imagine if Orlando somehow traded for C. Paul and signed D. West.

/gush

That would be way better than Paul and Ellis in my opinion.

13. Stepping Razor

Thanks good sir. Obvious now that i think of it. :cool:

14. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

No chance they get any of those. They literally don't have any attractive trade pieces outside of Howard.

Also it looks like Dwight is as good as gone.

15. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

WojYahooNBA

New Orleans strongly engaged with Clippers, Warriors and Celtics in trade talks for Chris Paul on Tuesday, league sources tell Y!

17. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Makes sense, all three teams have better assets than the Rockets.

18. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
    Paul has indicated Clippers and Warriors could raise chances of keeping him long-term if they sign center Tyson Chandler too, sources say.

19. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

better than them becoming lakers...

20. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
    Story on Chris Paul trade talks will be posted soon on Yahoo! Sports.