1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard to Atlanta (Three years, $70.5M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Jul 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's hilarious that Atlanta lost Horford because he didn't want to play with Dwight.

2. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I thought it's been established wit Dwight that he can hit FTs and make shots in practice, and it's all mental that's why he sucks in games. So these recent videos mean nothing. They are no different from any other offseason. And i like Dwight too.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dwight Howard said again on Mike &amp; Mike that he did not get the ball often enough. Again, led NBA in post touches pg, 2nd in paint touches.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/753623805436788736">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=17075793

How significant were your Atlanta ties in making your decision?

More so management, coaching staff & team.

What did they tell you?

They had a plan & purpose in what they're trying to accomplish in the future. Sitting with Bud, knowing he came from a great system in SA intrigued me. That's why I chose to come home.

How have you seen your role change & game change based on the position you play & way teams play now?

My role is the same. Be dominant on defense, offensively bring energy & effort & dominate on the post. Teams are playing away from post up basketball but Bud explained to me the offense & how I can be most effective. Looking forward to getting started.

Where do you feel you have been misrepresented?

When people say I'm not a hard worker. I hate hearing that. I pride myself on what I do on a daily basis. This is my 13th season. I pride myself on how hard I work on a daily basis. That's something I didn't like hearing. I understand people will have their opinions.

How about wanting the basketball? Did they not give you enough of a role in Houston?

No doubt. I know what I'm capable of. I know what I can bring to a team. I've done it for 8 years in Orlando. It wasn't like I was asking for the ball every possession. I understand that sometimes in order to win you need an inside attack. Shooting threes can spread the floor but also having someone effective on the low block or the paint can do damage to a team.

Relationship with Harden?

It wasn't as good as it needed to be for us to succeed. Looking back, there's nothing we could do about it now. Talking about it was great but for myself & the Rockets, we have to move on and let that chapter in all our lives pass. I wish the relationship would have been better but throughout all the things the last couple years, it shaped & molded me into the player I am today and made me stronger. I look at those situations, you just grow from them.

Hard to put aside differences?

It shouldn't be. It shouldn't be hard at all. For myself, I can't speak for anyone else, I love the team atmosphere, having relationships with guys on my team. Once you do have those relationships & know the ins and outs of the people you're playing with, it makes you want to play harder for that person because you know what they stand for. There were a couple guys on the team that we had a great relationship and to this day, we continue to talk. The most important thing in basketball is the relationships you have away from the game. That develops chemistry and learn how to talk to your teammates. Some guys you can yell at, some you have to pull to the side. By developing chemistry away from the game, you learn those things.

Has some fun gone out of it for you?

There was a time. After being in basketball and going through FA & different events, it can take the fun out of it. I would say this summer, I went back to my roots, what made basketball fun for me. I have that passion for the game & looking forward to a new season. The years I have, 8-9 more years of basketball I can play, will be better than the first 12 I've had.

Reaction to ESPY's comments?

All of us have great opportunities to make a difference in our society. Proud of those guys for stepping up on the big stage doing what they did. It's key at times like this we come together & stand up for what we believe is right. Very proud to see those guys take charge & take action & want to make this world a better place.

What made Tim Duncan one of the best all-time?

I played against Duncan, watched him for years. You see a guy like Tim, the battles we had, he was quiet but did whatever he had to do for the team to win. He was someone I looked up to. Him & Garnett were my two favorite growing up. I was excited to play against Tim my first season. We've had some battles. I'm gonna miss playing against him & seeing him in that black & gray. He had an amazing career. What he did for the game of basketball will be a big part of my life.

#183 J.R., Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmfao

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Kobe Howard, volume center.

6. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

There isn't anyone on the Hawks that can play like an MVP to prevent Dwight from whining about his post touches. Good luck to them.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

So he's upset at being labeled as not a hard worker and thinks it's easy to set aside differences, yet admitted to quitting because him and Harden among others couldn't settle their differences about how to win. Ow yeah and he didn't get enough post touches...how ironic life can be

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Dwight Howard: End of Rockets tenure was 'bad little phase'

Dwight Howard's offseason interview tour continued Friday, with the former Rockets center opening up somewhat on his three-year stint in Houston.

During an interview on "The Dan Patrick Show," Howard, who signed with his hometown Atlanta Hawks last week, was asked by the host if there was a difference in what Howard was told by Rockets officials regarding his role and how things played out (with him being marginalized in the offense by the end of last season).

"I was being told a lot of different things and it just didn't happen that way," Howard said. "Everything happens for a reason. I can't go back in the past and get that time back. So for myself, I just have to leave that behind me.

"But it did produce a lot of endurance and patience on my part. I think it was good that it happened because it gave me fire (and) woke something up in me for the next years of my career."

As for how his Rockets tenure ended, Howard called it "a bad little phase."

"I just think being in the situation where I wasn't involved a lot in what was going on and sometimes as a player, that can affect you when you've been very effective in the NBA," Howard said. "(It went) from that to basically sometimes like you weren't worth too much. I was in a bad little phase, but I'm out of it now and excited about what's about to happen next."

After expressing displeasure with his limited role in the Rockets' offense during previous interviews, Howard said he was willing to help the Hawks in whatever role necessary.

"I don't think it's about me being featured," Howard said. "I don't even want to think that coming in, that this is my time to do this or do that. I just want to come in and do whatever I have to do to help this team win.

"I know that if I'm in tip-top shape, coming in and playing with total confidence in myself and my game, our team will be great."

Howard also said not playing back-to-back games with the Rockets at times was "something the team wanted," adding that "on my end, I felt great."

Patrick asked Howard if Rockets star James Harden or Kobe Bryant with the Lakers was the tougher teammate to play with, but Howard wouldn't take the bait.

"Both of those guys are great competitors," Howard said. "I just think the timing was off for all of us. You know we were all on different paths in our careers. Kobe was at the tail end and James is on the rise. You know it was just two different types of teams.

"I don't want to stir up anything. I think both of those guys are great players. And you know despite what people say me and Kobe didn't have one of those bad relationships. Like I said, we were in two different parts of our career. And I think a lot of the things that were going on (were) hyped up and people thought it was more than what it really was. Personally, I can never hate any player or hate on any player. You know all of us are blessed to be able to play in the NBA. It's not easy to make it here (and) it's not easy to stay here, you know."

In an interview with ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike" on Thursday, Howard said his relationship with Harden "wasn't as good as it needed to be for us to succeed.

"But, you know, looking back on it, there's really nothing that we can do about it now. Talking about it amongst ourselves is great, but for myself, and I think for the Rockets, we all have to move on and let that chapter of all of our lives pass. I wish the relationship would have been a lot better, but throughout all the things that happened the last couple of years, I think it's shaped and molded me into the player — the person — that I am today. It made me stronger."[/rquoter]

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/We_b2E4aoiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

It's going to be the same thing with Atlanta. Actually maybe worse since he's getting up there in age and mileage

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Talk talk talk...

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Man, Atlanta fans are going to get exhausted defending Dwight Howard.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Glad that phony is off the Rockets. :)

13. fattz

fattz Member

Wish we could have gotten a return on him from 2 seasons back. What a piece of work this person is. If he is sharing all this silliness now, just think what the locker room was like. To much is just that. Good luck to him. The Rockets missed out on an opportunity by not trading him. In a way we traded him for Gordon Anderson --> his gone they are here.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I just hate that he's going on all these media tours and being really passive aggressive towards the rockets.

Reality check Dwight is you are not the same player, everyone knows it harden and especially kobe know you don't take the game serious and you can't be a leader even though you think you our. Had you just fallen in line and played the way Kobe and James wanted you to you would have won a lot more and succeeded.

The one year you were hurt and then came back and took a back seat you went to the WCF and avg 16/15 in the Playoffs and looked like the most dominant center in the game.

Honestly I wasn't going to be a part of it but I hope all Houston fans boo this man when he plays here. He was great for the city but on the court he was a disaster and we wasted 3 years of hardens growth, hopefully this was a building block for him and he learned from this experience and comes back better than ever.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He did not talk much about Milk Hair and JBB.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Irony is that Gordon and Anderson would have worked well with Orlando Dwight.

Anderson did indeed well there.

17. koopa

koopa Member

Dwight sucks. He was good in orlando

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

And? The point is that he's all talk, his words when it comes to his personality and basketball have always come off as fake, gibberish or just rehashing old stuff. He is who he is and not what he thinks or says he is.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Aw shucks. Poor Dwight never got a fair chance in his entire life. If only other players put aside their egos and made him feel good about bricking jumpers and turning the ball over, everything would have gone better.

20. bmd

bmd Member

Dwight is selfish and immature.

Instead of doing what's best for the team, he is only going to do what he wants to do.

He says he wants to win... but everybody WANTS to win. He's not willing to do the things it takes to win.

So really, he isn't about winning. He's about doing what he wants, and winning is only an added bonus.