1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard on James Harden and Rockets: This is their moment

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houston19519, May 8, 2018.

1. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

appreciate the positive vibes DH!

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Very surprised by the maturity and respect shown by Howard. Definitely unusual. He is 100% to blame for the way things went down here, but glad to see he isn't the complete douche I thought he was.

Sajan and cerophilik like this.
  3. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

It sucks that It didn’t work. I never had anything against Dwight and i liked it when he signed with us. Too bad they didn’t meshed like they should have. I blame both Harden and Dwight since they were supposed to be the leaders and work it out even if it was on the court only. Also Dwight should have know his role was better if he was more like Capela and focused less on post ups.
    Now it seems like Dwight is more mature though he still gets techs and people get in his head he seems more genuine. He didn’t just say all this good stuff because he wanted to be viewed in a good way but because he meant it. I see some regrets in it too or just looking back at what could have been with Orlando and with us.

I still like Dwight :) maybe he can signed with us with a pay cut n come from the bench :p hehe well it would dhow he really wants a chip badly and we would have an extra body for alley oops :D

After watching that clip I saw the other one he had in get up. Dwight has mature maybe being out of even playoffs contention or age has made him mature.

#103 cerophilik, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Everything he said seemed genuine and authentic. No fake pr stuff

Sajan likes this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I could see Dwight Howard doing well in TV after his career is done.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

To his credit, Dwight has always been pretty introspective about his mistakes.

Contrast this with, say, Carmelo.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Dwight was always a lovable guy but the issue seemed like he didn't want to fit into the mold of the team rather the team fit around him.

It might have had to do with him being the superstar on the Orlando team and then slowly as his athleticism faded, his reluctance to accept a slightly lesser role.

Either way, thanks DH for the positive vibes.

8. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Dwight is by no means a scrub, and I don't think he's naturally cancerous. He seems like the type of guy who cares WAY too much on his perception, and tries WAY too hard to appease the wrong people. I think his time in LA ruined him, both physically and mentally. While some say his reputation was ruined after running SVG out of Orlando and demanding a trade, in hindsight, both the Magic and Van Gundy accomplished nothing in his absence. But his decision to play after a back surgery in 2012-13 was the biggest mistake of his career. You don't **** around with back injuries, especially not at that height. It robbed him of his explosion at an age where he should be in his athletic prime, 26. Of course, the LA media didn't care, and they pinned the blame for the Lakers' sub par season (where the refs singlehandedly got them in the playoffs) on Howard. All you could hear from the likes of TNT's resident fatasses was "Dwight needs a post game!!!" and "He's 2 soft 4 Kobe!!!"

I think they got to him much more than he should have let them, and he spent much of his time in Houston trying to prove them wrong. He wouldn't let Shaq and Chuck's insults go and demanded touches in the post, to the team's and his own detriment. Sadly, the end of his time in Houston only brought on more efforts from him to expand his offensive game. I've seen him take JUMPERS during his time in Charlotte, and the results aren't pretty.

TLDR: Dwight craved attention and acceptance from the old media way too much, and it led to his downfall.

9. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Hol up, are we talking about 23 year old clint vs 31 year old dwight, or 23 year old clint vs 23 year old dwight?

Dwight Howard was arguably the best defender in the NBA for 4 years straight, leading the NBA in Defensive Win Shares 4 times and in Defensive Box +/- once during that stretch. Clint has put up a very good defensive season at age 23, with 4 DWS and a DBPM of +2.9. Dwight Howard lead the league at age 23 in DWS with 7.4, and in DBPM at +4.3.

Howard was also the superior rebounder on both ends of the court. Dwight even edges out Clint in Block %, 5.9% vs 5.7%.

Dwight went #1 overall for a reason. Clint at 19 was in the d-league, Dwight at 19 put up the best age 19 season in NBA history.

10. basketballholic

You can?

11. basketballholic

Dwight is STILL a good defender.

12. basketballholic

We're in trouble with or without Qi.

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He got his touches. He has 3 kids that i know of..