1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard needs to be traded.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZomgZ, Dec 23, 2015.

1. theredbackpack

dwight, like james, has plenty of issues, and no, he is not as dominant as he was five years ago.
    however, forget what you read on deadspin or whatever. there are several teams who'd love to have dwight on their team. asking if dwight is elite is like asking if joe flacco is elite. i know y'all would love flacco on the texans. dwight is absolutely a top-ten center.

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

He literally can not jump anymore on the recieving end of a Harden pick and roll pass. Havent you noticed it always has to be a pass from Harden to a dmo or Jones who then lob it to Dwight, unlike Cap.

That was what they attempted at the end of the game. Harden is very frustrated if you ask me, he knew he could of just let that shot go but he wanted to pass it to Dwight instead. Even if the rumors weren't true, the rockets still must feel like they have to involve him more.....

3. rocketman4325

rocketman4325 Member

This is the truth.

4. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

Na its just a way to say,we accept mediocre and this is how its gonna be. Everyone knows on there fantasy board this guy would be gone in trade like anything. But keep accepting this, and watch in the end of year when rockets get bounced out, people around here will wonder why Juwan Howard ops in for another year making 30 million for mid level production found from anywhere in the league.

5. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

OK, then find it.

Point out 10 centers better than Dwight.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Signed.

DD

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Damn some people are so thirsty they would do anything to take a sip.

Players aren't the problem the squad is there. Last night's final drawn up play shows that JB isn't ready. Throwing a temper tantrum because his predictable last play didn't work was cringy AF.

Find a coach, team will do better.

8. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

This.. repped.
    We need to finish this year and let the chips fall where they may. At this point I really don't like many guys on this team and that includes Harden. I'm not for trading Lawson either. We are not in a position of power trade wise. No matter what we do we will not win a championship this year even if we could land some blockbuster trade. Any big moves now are just knee jerk reactions and will only weaken us long term.

Yes Howard needs to step up hi game but so does Harden. James need to quit thinking "I" and think "we". Lawson needs to get the boat right and impose his play on this team and Howard needs to play like his career depends on it. As for the rest of the team ..... Just finish

9. DuDDleyDawsonII

You would think D12 would play alot better or harder in a contract year.

10. pippsux

pippsux Member

How can you trade someone that nobody wants?

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is more to the Dwight situation than just handling it like a normal asset valuation basketball/salary cap move. Moving Dwight is a major deal that would need to be handled with A. Cooperation from Dwight/Fegan and B. super under the radar. Keeping things very close to the chest to avoid a nasty breakup with a superstar that gave up alot and adopted the city of Houston like few stars we've seen in the past. He's really been great to us, so the Rockets need to treat the situation with respect.

That being said from a basketball/salary cap standpoint I don't think you are alone in knowing that he's a player you should probably try to move. Him and Harden just aren't really ever going to be the superstar dominant duo we imagined two years ago. Dwight isn't really a superstar on this team and his years of playing up to Dwight standards are obviously limited.

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You are definitely right, but I wish it wasn't so. We did our part by paying him $20M a year and making the best big man coaches available to him. His production hasn't matched what we gave him. It pisses me off we still owe him at this point.

13. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Did you watch skip bayless say this and make that your own opinion? Cus he said this recently as well.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Here is what I think (Not that it matters anymore than what anyone else thinks).

I think that Howard is going to decline in production very fast, now that his athleticism is waning - guys that get by on athleticism alone, fall off as players super fast, they don't have the skill to last once they are no longer able to out jump, out quick, or out physical other players.

Howard, will have glimpses of his old self, then will go back to mediocre or worse - he has been in the league 12 years, and has NEVER developed a skill game - if the Rockets can trade him, they should be doing that now, because he is going downhill and fast.

We would be better hitching our cart to Capella now, rather than later - he is a great athlete, and has good hands for finishing in traffic, he can get out muscled, but most teams in the NBA do not have a physical big low post center any more, so you can ride with him.

I can't fathom that Morey would even consider re-signing Dwight - you don't pay big bucks for declining players that only play every other game or not on back to backs.

Better to cut your loses while he still has some value and let another sucker...errr team try to squeeze one last run out of a guy in decline.

So, for me, he is never going to lead us, is not good enough on offense, is inconsistent on defense, and it is time to start thinking about sending him to the glue factory.

DD

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree, although your "glue factory" comment probably isn't something Jimmy Stewart would say about someone on Christmas Eve. :)

Regarding the quote I captured above: fwiw, Clutch's take on that Les will have final say on trading Howard. And historically, I think that's accurate for any of our previous max players.

cheers

16. Raven

Raven Member

I don't see the Rockets matching the huge contract some desperate team is going to offer him, but I'd still be shocked if they traded him, no matter how much sense it makes. I don't think they have the balls. It would be a huge PR hit, especially with all the baggage that Morey has hanging over him. That's why I'm predicting that Dwight just walks away next Summer, and everyone plays nice and says the right things, and part of that is going to be on Harden.

So how does Paul Gasol look these days? Anyone care to guess how much his next contract will be worth?

17. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

I doubt he consider Houston, unless we give him a ridiculos contract, like 2 years at 30 million with a 2nd year team option not to pick him up. But hes like Dwight howard starting to go down hill in production, both of there peaks are over with, they been in the league since 2004. paul 2001. Dwight is obviously the worse at of the two players, and paul is only making 7-8 per... what a steal for Chicago.

18. basketballholic

Pau is most likely headed to Memphis to finish out his career with his brother. It's what they've wanted to do for several years now. Don't be surprised if a Zach/Pau trade unfolds at the deadline. If not, expect Pau to sign with Memphis this summer.

19. underrated015

underrated015 Member

No options at the moment. Roll the dice with Dwight and let him expire

20. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member