1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard looking a bit lost

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MojoMan, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

Dwight needs to be a garbage man not a post up player

2. tnopham

tnopham Member

you mean the game he hurt his knee and it caused him to miss 10+ games?

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He didn't look lost last night, he looked disengaged. He got that first quick foul, which was reeeeeeaaaaaally stupid, then he went full r****d on that second foul, letting his emotions get the better of him. Then adding a tech for good measure.

I like Dwight, and we need him focused and healthy, but smart he ain't.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it is painful to watch Dwight come across the paint with that sweeping hook shot that clanks off the back of the rim most of the time

5. Sanity2disChaos

Can we say knee jerk ...

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

No. You can't.

7. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Dwight is fine, Memphis, OKC and LAC are his weak points.

In Dwights two lowest scoring games as a Rockets, he scored 6 points in each, they were each wins vs Memphis.

I think we all know what we can expect from Dwight. I never expect 20 point games from him, i expect rebounds, dunks and defense. Whatever else he gives the Rockets is icing on the cake

8. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

Lol. The homerism is strong with Clutchfans. How about giving Marc Gasol, the reigning defensive player of the year and this year mvp candidate a little credit. DH didn't just had a bad game, he realized early in the game Gasol won't be bully down low, got his shot straight out block at one point, and saw Gasol nailed jumper after jumper, and that's when the realization hit him hard that the best center in the league by far isn't him.

Sorry to say this about Howard, but the dude has low basketball IQ and big ego. Olajuwon in his prime would've extracted this kind of pitiful performance from Howard at any given night.

9. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

weall know what Dwight capable of, he just need to play smart. Smart means not get into early foul troubles and hes gotta limit those cheapy fouls. Those offense fouls usually killed team momentum. and sometime I think he laughs too much, I want a "BAD, MEAN" Dwight not a nice guy.

10. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I've always seen Dwight as a glorified Otis Thorpe type player. An unskilled hyper athletic PF...... If he focused on leading the league in rebounds and blocks his entire career he would be a real threat to retire as the all time leader in both categories..... Maybe not blocks but then again......

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

you mean in the 2 and a half minutes he played til he got those ticky tack fouls?

12. sergio

sergio Member

Howard will become a Mutombo type role player. It's better for the team if the ball goes through Harden first.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Sometimes it seems that we try to get his post game going early in the game. IMO, most of the time we should use the PnR to setup the post.

Also, Dwight seems to make up his mind too early in the sequence that he wants to shoot. He needs to see what positioning he can get and pass out if it's not there. Also, we really are terrible at post entry passes.

14. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

This is the main reason why his post game is so inept. His moves are predetermined. If a defender is leaning toward the middle, a simple drop-step the other way would be appropriate. Instead he forces it toward the middle playing into the defender's hands.

The reason why sometime DH post game looks brilliant is because of him guessing correctly against a defender position. A player with true offensive skillset feels his defender and counter accordingly.

15. HRox832

HRox832 Member

No worries. He usually never does good against the Grizzlies. I think the next game vs the Spurs, Howard will have a good game.

16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Aside from focusing more on PnR, I think Howard would benefit from re-posts for better position. The problem is the passer clears out leaving no one on the strong side to kick out to for re-post or three.

17. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I watched last night with an non-critical eye, but it was frustrating. I thought everybody looked a bit out-of-sync, and even McHale looked like he just wanted to go home.

I'll start criticizing again tomorrow night.

1 person likes this.
  18. jojobabbu

jojobabbu Member

^yup.....

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Those two early fouls really screwed up his whole game. The nights he's off his game, he really drags down the entire offense.

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The simplest explanation is the knee is still bothering him. He looked stiff and less mobile.