1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Fined 150k for......

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pugsly8422, Apr 8, 2011.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Edit - He was actually fined for throwing the ball after being whistled for taking too long to shoot a free throw. You get 10 seconds. Supposedly this is the third time this season.

Link to the video & article.

You've got to be kidding me. It happened again?

Yes, it did. During the second quarter of an eventual 111-102 overtime victory over the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday night, Dwight Howard(notes) was whistled for violating the NBA's 10-second rule for free-throw shooters. As Evan Dunlap noted at Orlando Pinstriped Post, it was the second straight night that the Orlando Magic center has run afoul of the almost-never-enforced rule against taking too long at the foul line — Howard got dinged for delaying during the second quarter of the Magic's 78-72 win over the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday — and his third such violation of the season.

Following the first infraction, which came during the Magic's Christmas Day win over the Boston Celtics, legendary NBA coach and broadcaster Hubie Brown said he had "never seen it called in any game that [he'd] ever done in 26 years of doing television." Well, as the saying goes, things come in threes when you take an illegal amount of time to do those things on a basketball court. (I hope you'll forgive my using that classic cliché.)

After stepping to the charity stripe with the Bobcats holding a 50-41 lead, Howard missed the first of his two freebies. After receiving the ball from the official for his second attempt, Howard launched into his extraordinarily deliberate free-throw routine.

Take a deep breath. (Beat.) Shrug the shoulders. (Beat.) Spin the ball in your left hand. (Beat.) Slow dribble. (Beat.) Slow dribble. (Beat.) Slow dribble. (Beat.) Raise your eyes to the basket. (Beat.) Bend at the knees, and then ... whistle.

Before Howard could let the second shot fly, the refs flagged him for stalling, thanks in no small part to the out-loud, demonstrative and very Duke-y counting of Bobcats shooting guard Gerald Henderson(notes). And just like the first time around against the Celtics, Howard registered his displeasure with the call by throwing the ball away in disgust, which earned the Orlando pivot a technical foul, his league-leading 18th T of the season.

That puts Howard in line to take a league-mandated siesta during Sunday's matinee showcase against Derrick Rose's(notes) Eastern Conference-leading Chicago Bulls. Sorry, ABC!

NBA rules stipulate that players earn a one-game suspension after receiving No. 16, which Howard earned March 4 against the Bulls and served on March 7 against the Portland Trail Blazers, and for every two techs they accumulate after that. The NBA could rescind No. 18, as they did when they struck Howard's Jan. 19 tech from the record, but that seems unlikely, considering that No. 17 — registered on March 30 against the New York Knicks for, once again, tossing the ball away from the officials after a call he didn't like — was upheld by the league.

"While missing a regular-season game at this stage — the Magic already have clinched a playoff spot and home-court advantage — doesn't affect the team's postseason," wrote Brian Schmitz wrote at the Orlando Sentinel's Magic BasketBlog, "it will cost Howard a game check, valued at about $150,000." On top of that, it'll take away a prime opportunity for the big man to challenge Rose's status as the league's presumptive MVP by asserting his own primacy in front of a national television audience. You're blowing it for all the stat kids, Dwight!

For those unfamiliar with the letter of the law — and considering the Halley's Comet nature of these calls against anyone other than Dwight, that's most of us — here's the relevant passage from Section IV of Rule 4 of this season's Official Rules of the National Basketball Association, which covers free throws and penalties (emphasis mine):

A free throw is the privilege given a player to score one point by an unhindered attempt for the goal from a position directly behind the free throw line. This attempt must be made within 10 seconds.

And here it is again, referenced in Section I of Rule 9:

a. When a free throw is awarded, an official shall put the ball in play by placing it at the disposal of the free throw shooter. The shooter shall be above the free throw line and within the upper half of the free throw circle. He shall attempt the free throw within 10 seconds in such a way that the ball enters the basket or touches the ring. [...]

PENALTY:

If there is a violation and the free throw attempt is to remain in play, the opposing team shall inbound on either sideline at the free throw line extended.

It's almost never invoked — "quite frankly," as Eddy Rivera wrote at Magic Basketball after the game, "it's something that should happen more often but referees turn a blind eye more often than not" — but it's real. So while Magic fans are within their rights to arch their eyebrows and wonder why this only seems to get called on their guy, they might also do well to suggest that their guy consider a new free-throw routine this summer.

I know it's scary to give up a technique that's led you to a sub-60 percent mark from the line in each of the past six seasons, Dwight, but if the zebras are going to keep busting your chops, maybe it's worth the risk. Something to think about as you watch the action this Sunday.

Pugs

#1 pugsly8422, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

$tern vs Van Gundy

1 person likes this.
  3. AXG

AXG Member

Karla Malone should've fined been millions of dollars, then.

1 person likes this.
  4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i think Karl Malone was called for it only three times in his career though he must have done it at least three times per game

5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

^^^ that.

6. Prince

Prince Member

Stern is really becoming the next president of Libya.

What if Hayes committed that... he'll be broke, no pay for a month. Geez!@

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Howard was not fined for taking too long to shoot the FT, but for having to miss a game after getting a technical foul for his reaction to the refs after they called him on it.

His reaction was what got the T, not his FT timing.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, it was for throwing the ball away. I don't have a problem with it. I wish they'd count out the seconds every time and whistle violators. I hate long free throw rituals.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I saw the video, he was taking unnecessarily long to take that freethrow IMO

10. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Yeah, Gilbert Arenas always drove me crazy with that behind the back stuff he did before every free throw, I wonder how long he actually took/takes? Don't even get me started on Hornacek and his kiss blowing ritual....

Pugs

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of Andre Miller's being called for leaning over the line when shooting FT. NBA officiating is so random.

And Kevin Martin's traveling. They seem to pay special attention at some violations on certain players.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Adrian Dantley used to massage the ball for about 15 seconds before he shot a FT. It drove me crazy. And Kidd's kissing blowing routine is bad too.

13. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

That's hilarious. Dwight, pick up the pace!

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I know right. I hate it when they do that, I swear it's like a random rule just pops up in the ref's head at the start of the game, and he's like Oh nice, I'm going to try to call that on someone today. Then forgets the rule a day later.

NBA refs are huge trolls

15. mortiki85

mortiki85 Member

Tim Duncan could be called for that pretty much everytime he steps up to the free throw line...I've only seen Timmy called for it once, EVER!

16. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

never have i witnessed such a phenomonan (sp?).

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Is Patrick Ewing helping Dwight with his FTs? We know how great Ewing was with Chuck Hayes and his stroke...

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

When this guy came out of high school to the draft, wasn't he billed as a good Christian kid? Doesn't he have a child out of wedlock? Didn't he say he wanted to "raise the name of God within the league and throughout the world?"

What does his temper and illegitimate child say about his faith?

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The league's officiating is so bad that even your faith can't help you.

20. jlwee

jlwee Member

I don't get it. Howard is a nice guy on and off the court. Why is it the NBA officials are targeting him? He definitely whines far less than a certain superstar player for no fouls but Howard seems to get T'd up whereas the Californian superstar didn't.