1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Calls Out Stan Van Gundy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Lil Pun, May 13, 2009.

1. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

dominant from where? wide open for a dunk? i wish they would pound it to Howard so the world can see his passing and post skills.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ditto to 100% of what you said. Thanks for saving me the time.

3. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Dwight should seek out Hakeem and let him train him. Dwight has similar quickness and is probably even more athletic. If he can even pick up a few moves from Hakeem he would be set. I don't know what Patrick Ewing is teaching him but that running hook in the paint is a terrible move. He's a power center playing a finesse game. He needs to get that drop step going and dunk on some *****s.

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Howard just suck. Everytime he's matchup against a big player, he disappeared. Not only that. When he score BIG. The team loss. We he doesn't have a big game, they win.

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

And people say Yao would do great on this Magics team. Yeah right, they would ignore Yao even more than D12. Bunch of 3pt chuckers that live and die by the 3.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed. A gameplan revolving get Howard the ball will have the Magic lose Game 6 unquestionably.

I'd agree that the problem wasn't Howard not being involved - as the article noted, they still had a 14 point lead early in the fourth and Howard wasn't greatly involved up to that point - the problem was Hedo not getting enough touches. Even though his 3 wasn't falling at all, he still shot 50% on the night and was the playmaker with 7 assists. The gameflow clearly shows that SVG's biggest mistake was putting Rafer and Rashard back in the game....but, what do you expect? Few coaches have the tenacity to stick with bench players down the stretch of this type of playoff game - you go to what got you there, and if that doesn't work, it doesn't work.

10 shots is a little less than normal for Dwight, but not much. He barely averaged over 12 a game during the season, and that number has dropped to the high 11's for the playoffs. A little late to change your spots, Orlando. You're a jump shooting team that benefits from the fact you do have a guy who can, occasionally, get you easy buckets in the half court game, and will generally be a dominant rebounder. As with all jump-shooting teams, sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. Dwight wasn't complaining after the Magic destroyed Boston in Game 3, despite Dwight only getting 8 shots.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Howard doesn't have the coordination Dream did. I do agree with you that Dream would be a better teacher than Ewing but I think Howard is limited in what he can develop offensively. He is almost robotic in his moves.

Defensively is where I think Dream could take Howard's game to another level.

8. aaaa

aaaa Member

Good post. Here is a Hollinger article voicing the same sentiment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playo...?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090513

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

When Riley took over the Heat I was pretty shocked and thought he was being a complete jackass -- now I understand.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Sounds kinda like the Rockets of the past few years.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Is it a right of passage for big men to openly demand the ball? If a wing player or an Aaron Brooks type said he needs more touches, he'd get roasted as a me-first stats happy player. Dwight needs to campaign for touches to his teammates and coaches face to face. But maybe this gets that going.

12. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

so what did stan van gundy say? why aren't there any quotes from when they spoke to SVG about being called out?

13. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Exactly....It has nothing to do with the fact that your teammates aren't giving you the ball. You just suck at scoring on your own Dwight.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dwight needs to learn on thing . . . . MAKE YA FREE THROWS
    The HACK A DWIGHT defense will come into effect sooner
    or later
    I think Stan being scared of it with 8 minutes to go is crazy
    but
    it is a source of concern

Rocket River

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hmm, sounds familiar. Maybe Dwight reads posts from here. :D

16. Super Von

Super Von Member

Very T.O. of Dwight.

17. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

If it was Yao doing this, I can see people saying: Get a ****ing rebound, or you want the ball? go for an offensive rebound? something like that. Well, in fact, that's exactly what happened before.

18. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Dwight wants the ball? It doesn't matter. D Ho's offense sucks and he can't make FTs. He's only good at dunks/putbacks/layups. I don't give a bleep if he shoots outside 6 feet.

The problems of the Magic are at both ends. SVG is not as good as I thought. I thought SVG was, at least as good as or even better than his brother JVG, from what he did in Miami. No, not at all. Might be in Miami it's because of Dwayne Wade made him looked good.

The Magic's offense sucks. Jacked up 30+% FGAs in 3s in regular season. Their offense is not made for the playoffs in half-court. In playoffs, the Magic are shooting about ~29% FGAs in 3s. 3PA is always a low%/high variance shot.

In the last possession of Gm 4 with the Celtics ahead by 1, Turd-a-glue used 11 sec on the shot clock and then jacked up a 3. He missed but luckily Pietrus got the rebound and that led to 2 FTs by Lewis. Turd-a-glue must be freaking kidding anybody to jack up a 3 when his team was only down by 1 and on a day he shot 4/14 and 1/4 in 3s.

When the Magic had 10 pt lead with 5:39 to go, what did the Magic do? They jacked up 4 3s and shot 0/7 in 4:39 minutes.

I don't even want to talk about the Magic's half-ass defense.

The Magic have dumb offense and that's on the coach. When Orlando is a better team and it's losing, that's on the coach.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Howard has an average post game and can't shoot free throws... What exactly is he going to do with the ball in crunch time? Better than Yao my ass...

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Get a post game and then your coach may start playing inside out. Until then, be happy playing outside in and having a bunch of perimiter dudes who can get you easy looks since you can't create for yourself...when you are matched up against a dude with size.