1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard asks fans for a favor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vega_281, Mar 4, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Same people b****ing about CSN being a reason for not going to games are the same fat asses who blame being poor for not being in shape. Pure entitlement.

Tired of the excuses. You can buy tix to Rockets games for less than $8 for 70% of games. If you can't get excited about this team right now because of CSN you aren't a real fan in my book and i could say that in thier face.

I have a season ticket holder next to me in the nose bleeds who lives in Denver. DENVER!

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Or they could close all the bars/lounges surrounding the lower levels. That would encourage people to get to their seats.

But do you honestly believe they'll do that? They make a killing on those bars. And they market the tickets (by price) to corporations (who can write them off) who use the tickets to entertain their client base, employees and key contacts. The Rockets have built a palace to that concept. It doesn't lend itself very well for rabid fans in the lower tier screaming their heads off.

3. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

While i hate the fact that Rockets games are only available on Comcast, that's really not a good enough excuse IMO. If fans wanted to watch the game, they'd find a way to - unless they live under a rock. I moved to Cleveland this winter (apologies accepted lol), dont have cable or league pass, but i've watched at least 75-80% of the games this year and watched about 70-75% last year while still in Houston without having comcast.

Houston is a football city first. Until the Rockets prove that they're a contender and not a pretender (they're a pretendor IMO until they make noise in the playoffs)or put up another 20+ game winning streak, they're likely not gonna show up until the playoffs.

4. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Those corporate seats are helping Les pay for Dwight's salary so you can kiss that thought goodbye. There's no changing the culture in the Toyota Center... You can't make the corporate guests start to care about the team. The atmosphere makes a complete 180 in the playoffs and that's when it really matters.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

TC without the red rowdies would be depressing

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I agree! Red Rowdies really keep the hype in the TC.

It's till the 4th that TC gets real loud.

7. valorita

valorita Member

houston fans ask dwight a favor: make more free throws, less goal tends/illegal defenses, shoot less threes.

kid

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ultimately, in my opinion, the problem is the design of the Toy Box. Clearly, it was built to provide those lower bowl/corporate/well off fans the cat's pajamas, not the "general public," who are so far up and out of sight of the game coverage that they are heard, and not seen, not only on TV, but heck, when you are in the lower bowl yourself. What can be done about the stupidity of the design is a mystery to me. Yes, the arena could have been built to provide far closer upper bowl seats. The corporate luxury suites could have been designed so that they aren't the "Great Wall of China" between the upper and lower bowls. In other words, it didn't have to be this way, unless Les wanted to squeeze every buck out of the arena that was humanly possible.

Those of us who have watched a lot of games on League Pass (I've seen every game from Austin on LP) can see that there are venues far better "balanced" between sucking up to the wealthest ticket buyers and serving the great mass of fans who try to attend every game that they can fit into their budget, who get there early, and who cheer throughout the games. You know, the ones that bring a big box of Kleenex in case of nose bleed. Les didn't take that route. He went for the maximum return from corporate season ticket buyers, who often spend most of the games not in their seats, but eating and drinking where they are not seen and barely heard.

It's a big design flaw. Any suggestions, besides having an official policy that lets upper bowl ticket holders move down after, say, the end of the 1st quarter, or the 1st half to fill those seats (and I don't think that will ever happen, unless it is entirely "unofficial."), that can address what is a flawed, in my opinion, architectual design? Without closing the place, probably for months, and spending millions? It sucks, just like the reality that a huge number of fans in my native city can't watch the home games at all, short of going to a bar.

9. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

I remember when I was asked to leave because they thought I was cussing during the playoffs vs Jazz one year & I was sitting right behind the announcers. They said I could be heard on TV. I don't know about all that, but they weren't used to a REAL FAN that can hang with the Rowdies sitting 2nd row, center court. ;)

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What were all those fake Heat fans doing when the BEAT THE HEAT chants were going down?

11. Raven

Raven Member

It's on Les, not the fans.

12. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I'm a Midwest Rockets fan... Attend Pistons/Bulls-Rockets games proudly wearing my Rox gear!! I would love to go to Houston just to attend a game! I've flirted with the idea of moving there just cause I hate the cold and love the Rockets! I can't help, but Dwight's right! Get your butts in those seats and make some noise!

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

well he id doing that, only 1 game in the past 5 has he shot below 60 percent

14. REEKO_HTOWN

Yeah, Les built the team into a contender so **** that guy.

Signed,

Another entitled "fan"

15. Marteen

Marteen Member

I'd go every game, but then I look at the ticket prices...

I'm not exactly a nose bleed section guy, either.

16. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Les, is that you?

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

lol just face the facts dwight..

houstonians are gonna be lame and passive

18. vator

vator Contributing Member

Houston is a bandwagon city for all sports outside of football. If they win in the playoffs and prove they have championship potential, the crowd support WILL come and the whole city will swell with pride and catch fire. It happened when the Rockets won back to back titles and more recently on the Astros run to the World Series.

Not saying I like or agree with this, but it is the undeniable reality Dwight. Win and they will come and they will go crazy. This city only fully supports the Rockets and Astros when they see the potential for greatness. Be great.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

Nah, real fan here who puts his money where his mouth is.

1 person likes this.
  20. bmd

bmd Member

Well that's great, but the reality is that most people aren't hardcore fans.